Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.36 Average
Outwitters WORLD CUP Winner - Alvendor (SWEDEN)
09-06-2012, 12:08 AM
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP Signups CLOSED
(09-05-2012 11:40 PM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 05:45 PM)Ravernoth Wrote:  Greatgonzales - The points are sufficient for the group stage since draws are allowed, and in the case of ties, the head to head number of turns is a tiebreaker. In the knockout stage, in the case of a draw, the player who won in fewer turns wins.

Oh ok, then I guess my approach isn't necessary. I'm not totally up to speed on the rules for this tournament yet - so points will be assigned but if there is ever a tie then the tie will be resolved with the total number of turns taken across all games? Or just the wins? Or, will ties only be resolved between a head to head matchup, not across all matches in a player pool? Naturally, then, awpertunity will have to be capturing the precise number of turns taken in every recorded game.

Yes that's right, awpertunity has updated the original post now. Here's what it says:

Quote:This is the number one criteria for determining Group Rankings. Wins are worth 3 PTS, Draws are 1 PTS, and Losses are 0 PTS. Ties will be broken in the following order

1) Game Point Differential
2) Head-to-head
3) Head-to-head Game Point Differential
4) Head-to-head number of turns taken

Reporting Matches
Replay links must be saved for all games of the tournament and all games must be reported. To report a game please post here on this forum with the following details:

Map
First Player
Second Player
Winner
Number of Turns Taken
Replay Link

Note that this is for one GAME, both games must be reported for each match. I will post live standings (or as live as possible) as games are reported.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2012, 12:12 AM
I just found out about this and it is closed! And only 32 people hot in? Man I'm disappointed, when will there be another one?
09-06-2012, 01:06 AM
That sucks.. Won't be 2016 like the real World Cup hopefully! Since the tourney will last some time, if its a success it might be good to do it regularly with a couple of weeks break after it ends.
09-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Hey guys,

Can we make a separate thread with only replays, no other discussion clogging the middle? That would much more organized. We can still ask questions, talk about planning here, but once it starts all the replays go in one place which is easy to scroll through?
09-06-2012, 03:27 AM
(09-06-2012 02:18 AM)swimj Wrote:  Hey guys,

Can we make a separate thread with only replays, no other discussion clogging the middle? That would much more organized. We can still ask questions, talk about planning here, but once it starts all the replays go in one place which is easy to scroll through?

He could just put replays in the original post like I did for the Community Tournament.
09-06-2012, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 08:09 AM by awpertunity.)
(09-06-2012 12:08 AM)Ravernoth Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 11:40 PM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 05:45 PM)Ravernoth Wrote:  Greatgonzales - The points are sufficient for the group stage since draws are allowed, and in the case of ties, the head to head number of turns is a tiebreaker. In the knockout stage, in the case of a draw, the player who won in fewer turns wins.

Oh ok, then I guess my approach isn't necessary. I'm not totally up to speed on the rules for this tournament yet - so points will be assigned but if there is ever a tie then the tie will be resolved with the total number of turns taken across all games? Or just the wins? Or, will ties only be resolved between a head to head matchup, not across all matches in a player pool? Naturally, then, awpertunity will have to be capturing the precise number of turns taken in every recorded game.

Yes that's right, awpertunity has updated the original post now.

Thanks for the suggestion GreatGonzales. Yes, I thought about just using the straight up number of points to determine points too, but as Raven says that isn't necessary.

Also, I didn't want the point scale to be linear against number of turns, so to make an equation I would've probably created a quadratic or exponential function of turns taken. This just seemed overly complicated though and I opted instead for the simpler point scheme described there.

I've played around with some scenarios and the situation you bring up of an unfair advancement can only happen in a VERY rare circumstance that I don't think we will be seeing (It would require a 3 way tie in a group with all 3 players having the same points according to my scale, and even after that the head-to-heads have to be of RPS form if that makes sense).

As Raven says, the general tie we will see will be a two person tie, and this tie will be broken by comparing head-to-head turns taken. And yes, as you say, I will be keeping track of the number of turns taken in each match, not just the points gained from my scale.

(09-05-2012 05:45 PM)Ravernoth Wrote:  awpertunity - it all looks good - just a thought, the group tables might be easier to read without the colours. Or could have the rows white and light grey.

I wanted the colors to match the forum colors Tongue

I have lightened the colors up a bit though so it should be easier to read now.
(09-06-2012 03:27 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  
(09-06-2012 02:18 AM)swimj Wrote:  Hey guys,

He could just put replays in the original post like I did for the Community Tournament.

Yes, I will put all the replay links in the OP. Or maybe a second attached pdf (since there will be 96 replays from group play alone..)

Also CombatEX! I just realized you are not signed up??? Why not?!
All matches have been posted in details.pdf in the Original Post

Replays will also be posted in this PDF file by clicking on the winner's name in each game.
09-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Awpertunity, there's some errors in the details.pdf for Group A.. Wrong players in there.
09-06-2012, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 09:09 AM by Dawizerd.)
You have Eijoland switched with me in group A. it's ok, I can see when I'm not wanted! *runs away sobbing*
09-06-2012, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 09:18 AM by awpertunity.)
(09-06-2012 09:06 AM)Dawizerd Wrote:  You have Eijoland switched with me in group A. it's ok, I can see when I'm not wanted! *runs away sobbing*

Fixed!! Sorry, stupid find and replace...

Looks like BLAHBLAH's taking this tournament by storm
09-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Lolz at BLAHBLAH