Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What does it take for a promotion?
08-26-2012, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 07:03 AM by Thrutchy.)
What does it take for a promotion?
I've only had one league loss (placement) and 22 wins. I was placed in clever. I've only noticed being matched with a gifted once, but another clever was promoted right after or while playing (and losing) with me. I don't know why I'm not being matched with more gifted. What gives with this system?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2012, 06:29 AM
RE: What does it take for a promotion?
There are 3 other threads related to this on the first page of the forums alone.... do some homework.
08-26-2012, 06:58 AM
I did searches on promotion, streak, and some other keywords, then read parts of those threads. I saw some describing 4 game streaks and winning most games. This is what i found: skill rating is hidden, the rating system is secret, winning is good (especially against higher ranked players), losing is bad (especially against lower ranked players), and being matched up with the next tier means you might be nearing promotion.

I'm wonder if there is another component. Maybe I haven't played enough games yet? It seems silly that 22 wins vs 1 loss isn't enough. Not knowing how this works is frustrating.
08-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Yeah, playing more games would be a good idea.

It is a little frustrating, and I think it's not working exactly the way they want it to yet. Hopefully the first patch will help.

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I would really like be able to give a detailed guide on how this works, but we just don't know much about the system.

If you take the several forum threads with this thematic into account it seems like you have to regularly beat players in your league and have an acceptable record vs higher league players.
Also please consider, that for searching an opponent the system can only use your record up to that moment. The system can't know that you're about to win several games you have ongoing. With the possibility of up to 20 games at once it shouldn't come as a surprise that the adjustment for better opponent's feels delayed because only your most recently started matches are matched with your current rating.

I think these two issues, that delay everything, are what most people are experiencing that are on a 20-x streak. This also shows it's very challenging to develop a ranking system that can handle multiple games at once. (the well known rating systems like ELO, sc2's MMR or XBoxLive TrueSkill usually aren't confronted with this problem)

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
08-26-2012, 11:17 AM
For what it's worth, I started in Clever and got to Gifted at ~30 wins, Master ~70, and Super Titan ~130. I won most of my matches until I got to Titan.
08-26-2012, 02:03 PM
wonderpug, have you played any 2v2? Or is that actually just 1v1 win numbers?

I AM THE 99.9997%!

08-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Entirely 1 vs 1
08-26-2012, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 05:05 PM by pookywb.)
Awesome. Thank you. Have a +1! Big Grin

I might be fairly close to a promotion then.

I AM THE 99.9997%!

08-26-2012, 07:03 PM
When I started, I lost 2 of my placements, and was dumped in Clever. However, 2 actual matches later, and I got promoted straight to Gifted! Hmmm... Something is amiss here. Like I said on my previous thread, I strongly propose we haggle the devs until we get something solid Tongue