Poll: Base Destruction Immanent, What Do?
Resign
'Null Move'
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resignation VS the 'Null' move: Irrelevant Poll #1!
08-24-2012, 02:48 AM
RE: Resignation VS the 'Null' move: Irrelevant Poll #1!
It depends on my opponent. I have won many games that my opponent could have won, had they not missed the closing move that was right in front of them. When I play an opponent that seemingly never makes a mistake, I will resign. There's no reason to tie up that slot just to wait for the inevitable. Statistically speaking, you're obviously better off letting your opponent beat you. But sometimes I just want to get that game out of my cue as quick as I can. Oh, and resigning prevents an embarrassing "you lose" notification at a business meeting (yes, that happened to me). Wish they had a "you win" notification. The horns of victory one they're using no just isn't as gratifying as the "you lose" is painful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2012, 08:41 AM
(08-24-2012 02:48 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  It depends on my opponent. I have won many games that my opponent could have won, had they not missed the closing move that was right in front of them. When I play an opponent that seemingly never makes a mistake, I will resign. There's no reason to tie up that slot just to wait for the inevitable. Statistically speaking, you're obviously better off letting your opponent beat you. But sometimes I just want to get that game out of my cue as quick as I can. Oh, and resigning prevents an embarrassing "you lose" notification at a business meeting (yes, that happened to me). Wish they had a "you win" notification. The horns of victory one they're using no just isn't as gratifying as the "you lose" is painful.

Haha business meeting?
08-24-2012, 09:30 AM
(08-24-2012 02:48 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  It depends on my opponent. I have won many games that my opponent could have won, had they not missed the closing move that was right in front of them. When I play an opponent that seemingly never makes a mistake, I will resign. There's no reason to tie up that slot just to wait for the inevitable. Statistically speaking, you're obviously better off letting your opponent beat you. But sometimes I just want to get that game out of my cue as quick as I can. Oh, and resigning prevents an embarrassing "you lose" notification at a business meeting (yes, that happened to me). Wish they had a "you win" notification. The horns of victory one they're using no just isn't as gratifying as the "you lose" is painful.

Hahahaha, I agree! Definitely been at work and just hear that high pitched "You lose!" come out of my pocket and I just think... Dammit.
08-25-2012, 01:28 PM
It's sooooo unexpected! And creepy! o.O

I <3 it so much, but daaang... Lol.

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
09-19-2012, 10:21 PM
I would just resign. In my opinion, resignation is a sign of respect to your opponent; acknowledging that it's a lost game.
09-20-2012, 06:16 AM
(08-24-2012 02:48 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  Statistically speaking, you're obviously better off letting your opponent beat you. But sometimes I just want to get that game out of my cue as quick as I can.

How do you figure, sports fan? The way I understand it, it's actually better to lose right away than to wait for the inevitable, because in the meantime you'll be playing more games with a: lower-ranked opponents and b: your wins will be worth more, both of these because your rank has gone down from the loss. If you wait and let the opponent win a couple days from now, your rank will still be higher (slightly, admittedly) and so you'll be playing against harder opponents and your wins will be worth less since you're "expected" to do that much better.

That said, I usually fight it out until the bitter end. I don't usually surrender, but I don't just sit back and let them raze me either, I fight back and hope that they make a mistake. If the win is glaringly obvious and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it and I know that they know that there's absolutely nothing I can do about it then, yeah, sometimes I'll just resign. But usually I go down swingin'.

IronMagus' Replays Thread - Please watch and comment.
Greasemonkey script for Firefox - Open replay links in your browser!
09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
I fight it out to the end. I've played a few games where I thought for sure i was going to lose and my opponent made a mistake or a bad choice. Plus, I like to win by playing it out so I prefer it when my opponents do the same.
09-20-2012, 04:31 PM
(09-20-2012 06:16 AM)IronMagus Wrote:  
(08-24-2012 02:48 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  Statistically speaking, you're obviously better off letting your opponent beat you. But sometimes I just want to get that game out of my cue as quick as I can.

How do you figure, sports fan? The way I understand it, it's actually better to lose right away than to wait for the inevitable, because in the meantime you'll be playing more games with a: lower-ranked opponents and b: your wins will be worth more, both of these because your rank has gone down from the loss. If you wait and let the opponent win a couple days from now, your rank will still be higher (slightly, admittedly) and so you'll be playing against harder opponents and your wins will be worth less since you're "expected" to do that much better.

That said, I usually fight it out until the bitter end. I don't usually surrender, but I don't just sit back and let them raze me either, I fight back and hope that they make a mistake. If the win is glaringly obvious and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it and I know that they know that there's absolutely nothing I can do about it then, yeah, sometimes I'll just resign. But usually I go down swingin'.

Let's say your opponent misses a possible finishing move 1/10 times, giving you a 10% chance to survive and finish your opponent later. When you resign, you win 0/10 times. Even if your opponent makes a mistake 1/1000, you're still statistically better off letting them try to finish you off.
09-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Since I keep getting matched up against the same 3-4 people these days, it's become clear that my 4 opponents are awesome enough at the game that they'll either never miss an opportunity for a win, or that they'll miss an opportunity because they had another, equally unstoppable opportunity in mind.

I'm finding myself and my opponents resigning earlier and earlier in my matches, too. We seem to mutually agree that when there's a decisive enough play in the middle of the match, there's just not going to be an opportunity for the disadvantaged player to catch up.
09-26-2012, 09:25 AM
I think it's the mercy rule. I resign if I have no moves left and clearly they are going to win next turn. I can start a new game and continue playing, instead of waiting indefinitely. I don't understand the satisfaction of blowing up the base. If you win you win. I am too old to be amused by a blowing up base.