Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ranking oddity / question
08-19-2012, 12:01 AM
ranking oddity / question
Question about how the ladder / points scoring works.

I am 11th in Master League - playing against someone who is 3rd in the master league.

First game - I beat him. I get 10 points, he loses 7 points.
2nd game - he beats me - I lose 18 points, he gains 27 points

I get that you should get more point if you beat someone better than you - but officially at least, his ranking is higher than mine.

Is this working as intended?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2012, 12:44 AM
RE: ranking oddity / question
As you said, he just isn't as good as you (or at least the system thinks so). His hidden skill rating is lower than yours I guess, you you beating him gets you fewer points than if he beats you. The ranking on the leader boards isn't really useful as an indicator...it just means that they play a lot (and win some matches at least).

This info is from what I understand based on what I've read on this forum.

1v1 Gifted
2v2 Clever
Friendly matches if you want!
GC: Riftskipper
08-19-2012, 02:34 AM
You have a higher skill ranking than him; he has a higher Fun Points accumulation than you.
08-19-2012, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2012 04:03 AM by CombatEX.)
As others have already stated, your actual rating is higher. This means you're closer to reaching Super-Titan than he is. In Starcraft 2 they have a point system like this but an additional layer called "bonus pool" which helps make points more indicative of true hidden skill. Outwitters doesn't have this yet so currently points are pretty meaningless. OML has discussed adding something like bonus pool in the future though so hopefully points will be a better assessment of skill sometime down the road.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
08-19-2012, 05:05 PM
(08-19-2012 02:34 AM)wonderpug Wrote:  You have a higher skill ranking than him; he has a higher Fun Points accumulation than you.

I really like your name for the visible points system... May I use it in the future (crediting you, of course)?

———————————
Why is the rum gone?
08-19-2012, 09:20 PM
As long as I get my royalty payments! Wink
08-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Pity the skill points can't actually be displayed - or at least the games won vs lost!
08-20-2012, 06:37 AM
The devs have something in mind for the ranking system for the next season, put for now we only have the fun points to work with.

I think the challenging aspect of implementing a ranking system for outwitters is, that players play many games at once that take a good amount of time to complete - systems like SC2 don't have that problem since you can only play one game at once. So I think finding a good rating system is a bit more complicated than copy pasting some standard algorithms.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
08-20-2012, 06:47 AM
(08-20-2012 06:37 AM)Eijolend Wrote:  The devs have something in mind for the ranking system for the next season, put for now we only have the fun points to work with.

I think the challenging aspect of implementing a ranking system for outwitters is, that players play many games at once that take a good amount of time to complete - systems like SC2 don't have that problem since you can only play one game at once. So I think finding a good rating system is a bit more complicated than copy pasting some standard algorithms.

Agreed.

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]