Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
"Heavy" isn't worth the costs
08-06-2012, 09:17 AM
RE: "Heavy" isn't worth the costs
I play many masters and supertitan players in friendlies and I can't recall the last time someone who spawned a heavy won the game... Not only is their initial cost too expensive but also their cost to mobilize. =/ people only seem to spawn thm when their already in a really weak position and it's only a matter of time before you win.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I have used them successfully and unsuccessfully in conjunction with a mobi. They can be great for tanking some damage like when I want to make sure I cap a wit space and dangerous in their own right. Though, I don't think they are very useful on most maps without a mobi.
08-07-2012, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 09:30 AM by NathanDetr0it.)
So this is humorous rather than serious, but in a thread about the Heavy I just can't resist posting this gem of a replay. This is a 1v1 match on Peekaboo where my opponent employs a defense I'm going to call the Wall 'O Sharks :)

I asked for (and received) his permission to name his defense. This was one of my favorite games so far and the only one that literally made me LOL. By the end we both laughing in the chat, because he forgot about scramblers completely: a unit to which the 'Wall 'O Sharks' proved quite vulnerable indeed.
08-07-2012, 06:31 PM
No one has pointed out what I think is their greatest use, wit space protection. Drop a boosted heavy on your wit space and you don't need to think about it for the rest of the match. I play mostly 2v2, where wit spaces are constantly attacked. Nice to have a rock on the space.
08-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I think if they should sligthly get buffed they could get life regeneration up to 4 health. They will be mostly killed in one turn but so they become slightly better if they survive. And yeah they can defend really pretty well.
08-07-2012, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 10:42 PM by calmon.)
(08-07-2012 10:02 PM)Meph1ston Wrote:  I think if they should sligthly get buffed they could get life regeneration up to 4 health. They will be mostly killed in one turn but so they become slightly better if they survive. And yeah they can defend really pretty well.

Well you shouldn't attack a heavy without killing in most cases so this is nothing a heavy would really help.

It also such a specific ability and fits not really to this unit type. Its more an ability for a 7 wits unit. But like said: Usually you kill or don't move at all. Settel beside a heavy just to do 2/3 damage isn't common. At least not in STL.
08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
There are a few options:

-add 1 health (probably too op)

-reduce the wit cost by 1 (also probably op)

-allow it to move 1 more space (this may be okay)

-have some kind of buff where it deflects all damage 15%, or some other percentage of the time (this could be okay, don't love the idea of chance though)
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
(08-08-2012 12:49 PM)connor3491 Wrote:  -add 1 health (probably too op)

-reduce the wit cost by 1 (also probably op)

-allow it to move 1 more space (this may be okay)

Think you got it wrong here. Reducing wit cost might be ok, but allowing it to move more is not a good idea - that just makes it a soldier with extra health and damage. This more than the others would risk being over-powered, but also make the units a bit too samey.

(08-08-2012 12:49 PM)connor3491 Wrote:  -have some kind of buff where it deflects all damage 15%, or some other percentage of the time (this could be okay, don't love the idea of chance though)

Changing the rules so a Scout can not hurt a heavy might be an option, but it is a bit confusing (since there are no other rules like this) and would not necessarily make enough of a difference.
08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah changing the move space would make it like a soldier but it's twice as expensive. I think reducing the wit cost might make it too cheap.

The damage deflection thing could be tweaked to any percent. The way I look at it is that it makes heavies more of a tank/damage sponge which is what they're supposed to be anyways
08-08-2012, 02:52 PM
He could also spawn with 5 hp but so that the medic cant heal him up to 6...