Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Community Tournament (Congratulations Alvendor on 1st Place!)
07-28-2012, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2012 10:32 AM by CombatEX.)
RE: Community Tournament
(07-28-2012 04:24 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  My overarching concern about this discussion is that I don't want this system to be overly complicated. I'd like it to be simple. I think it'd be nice to let both people in a matchup start a game with their opponent, choose their own map, and play a third game if necessary with FTA going to one person or the other based on seed.

Also CombatEX, would you like to enter the tournament?

Unfortunately I'm going to be on vacation a week or so from now for 7+ days so I think I'll have to sit this one out. I'd definitely be interested in any future tournaments though =)

As for being overly complicated, I essentially proposed what it seems you've decided upon. Yea, you're right though, might as well just give third fta or map decision choice to the higher seeded player instead of worrying about all that tiebreaker stuff.

However, my reason for the veto system when choosing the initial map was in case the two players can't decide on one. If they agree on a map then that's all good, but in the case there is a dispute on which map the first two games should be played on I thought we should probably have some rule set forth (for example simply having each player take turns eliminating maps until only one is left).

Anyway, good luck with the tournament! Hope everything works out well as I'd like to see more of these in the future =D

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2012, 02:31 PM
I believe we have only space for one more player! Get it while it's hot! Smile
07-28-2012, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2012 05:09 PM by calmon.)
1. Calmon!
2. Titan
3. 1.015
4. 5th Ailing Trail Division
07-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Ok that does it! Here is the final roster:

GreatGonzales
awpertunity
ArtNJ
swimj
phrenikos
Skaught2727
thelonepower
jaesonwu
FreakyMan777
alexch234
pookywb
Alvendor
bluegodzill
The Rawkhawk
Syvan
calmon

Tournament entrants, please check this thread over the next couple of days for further instructions. I think we've reached something resembling consensus on tournament format, but if any of you have last minute suggestions, please share them now.
07-29-2012, 04:07 AM
Are there going to be restrictions for races so that people know what race they're up against each game or can people just choose whatever they want right before each match without their opponents knowing? I ask because in games like Starcraft players are usually required to stick to a particular race during tournaments. Race can often make a huge different in terms of map preference in Starcraft. Perhaps not so much in Outwitters (at this point anyway), but I have seen some hints of this beginning to take shape with a few comments here and there on the forums about certain specials being more effective on particular maps. Again, probably not a huge deal at this point but I'm just curious what you have in mind.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
07-29-2012, 04:27 AM
I was not planning on implementing team restrictions. Perhaps in future tournaments we can do that, but since people have the freedom to choose their own map in the game they start, I feel that neither player will be able to gain an advantage over the other. Plus, of course Outwitters teams are all much more similar than Starcraft races.
07-29-2012, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2012 02:13 PM by FreakyMan777.)
Lmao I didn't see where consensus was reached? Lmao how about three consecutive games (to save time! Smile)... The first two games have the same map (predetermined) and each player gets the FTA... The third game should be played ONLY IN CASE OF A TIE and should be predetermined as the tiebreaking game..l it will be on the same map as the first two. The person getting the FTA in the tiebreaking match should just be the higher ranking player.... In like baseball if there are seven teams the highest ranking gets a bye and in games themselves the higher ranking is always home team.... As is only fair since they worked hard to achieve that status... Also skillful people can take not having the FTA...
Also another thought... Maps should be the same within the three games between the same two people however they should change randomly between matches... That way a person that does extremely good on that map doesn't have an advantage all the way through and visa versa.... So I think that O.P. you should predetermine the map for each matchup! Smile
Lmao Uhm I think these rules and regulations narrow things down to pure skill! Smile Lmao I'm still unsure about rules... Someone post a post with all the finalized rules? Just the rules no explanations why please lmao some explanations confuse the whole post! Tongue
Thanks for reading this long message! Smile
07-30-2012, 02:59 AM
(07-29-2012 02:11 PM)FreakyMan777 Wrote:  Lmao I didn't see where consensus was reached? Lmao how about three consecutive games (to save time! Smile)... The first two games have the same map (predetermined) and each player gets the FTA... The third game should be played ONLY IN CASE OF A TIE and should be predetermined as the tiebreaking game..l it will be on the same map as the first two. The person getting the FTA in the tiebreaking match should just be the higher ranking player.... In like baseball if there are seven teams the highest ranking gets a bye and in games themselves the higher ranking is always home team.... As is only fair since they worked hard to achieve that status... Also skillful people can take not having the FTA...
Also another thought... Maps should be the same within the three games between the same two people however they should change randomly between matches... That way a person that does extremely good on that map doesn't have an advantage all the way through and visa versa.... So I think that O.P. you should predetermine the map for each matchup! Smile
Lmao Uhm I think these rules and regulations narrow things down to pure skill! Smile Lmao I'm still unsure about rules... Someone post a post with all the finalized rules? Just the rules no explanations why please lmao some explanations confuse the whole post! Tongue
Thanks for reading this long message! Smile

Is this a troll? I don't get it. Everything you say contradicts your own statements....

consecutive games (one game after the other) would not save time... so I assumed you met simultaenous? But then you say the 3rd game should only happen if it's needed...

then you say the higher skilled player should get the FTA automatically because they worked hard to reach that skill level, and then say the higher skilled player can stand not having the FTA?

WHAT?
07-30-2012, 03:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 03:58 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Here are the rules I plan to use for this tournament:

1. 16 person, single elimination bracket, seeded by league, and then by points
2. Each match is best 2 out of 3. Each player will start a game with their opponent (so there will be two games being played simultaneously), and each player can choose their own map (maps do not have to be the same).
3. If a third game is required, the lower seeded player will choose the map, and the higher seeded player will start the game on that map.
4. The winning player should report their win by posting in this thread the details of the match.

FYI I plan to set up the bracket tonight, so look for it. I'll also update the original post to reflect the final version of the rules.
Ok, I have generated the bracket, and updated the original post with updated rules. Please review them and let me know if you have any questions.

Here is the link to the tournament bracket: http://challonge.com/outwitterscommunitytournament

As far as I am concerned, you can start sending game requests to your opponents! Good luck one and all!

Jaesonwu, I am a little concerned about Swimj typing in your name with all those unusual characters. Can you perhaps provide some guidance to him?
07-30-2012, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 04:17 AM by jaesonwu.)
Sorry for the inconvenience. Follow this to set up International Keyboards on your device. (No installation of anything required, it's all included by Apple)

Then to type my name it's just ㅅ ㅣ ㅌ ㅣ ㅎ ㅓ ㄴ ㅌ ㅓ

In that order. Then there is a dot symbol in special characters (it's on both the English and Korean keyboards).

OR

Go to this thread on your mobile device and copy and paste 시티헌터•

swimj, you seem to be at your game limit so I can't start a game with you though.
Thread Closed