Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Community Tournament (Congratulations Alvendor on 1st Place!)
10-31-2012, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 12:13 AM by calmon.)
RE: Community Tournament (currently in FINALS match between Alvendor and Calmon!)
Hi! Well I thought Alvendor already posted it. I'm very rarely here.

I lost first game as P2 on Foundry. It was a fine game and I was under hard pressure from start on. I never was able to handle his sniper covering my bonus near my northern home. So the consequence was a loss.

Game 1 Link

For the second game (me as P1) on Sweety Plains: He defended my first attack for his bonus and after that we both build up units. Problem was I went sick and I accidently thought non-league games last longer than the 4 days because I had one with longer time in between in the past but it seems they get lost after 4 days on same way league games do.
I really wished to play this game to an end because I enjoyed the games against alvendor and really hate to lose because of timeout grrrrr Smile

Game 2 Link

Congratulation Alvendor for winning this. You really earned it!
Find all posts by this user
10-31-2012, 12:25 AM
RE: Community Tournament (Congratulations Alvendor on 1st Place!)
Sorry to hear you timed out Calmon, I'm sure your sweetie plains game would have been epic. Well, good games all, and congratulations to those who made it far! Smile
10-31-2012, 02:11 AM
First outwitters tournament completed?
Congrats Alvendor!
10-31-2012, 03:53 AM
RE: Community Tournament (currently in FINALS match between Alvendor and Calmon!)
(10-31-2012 12:04 AM)calmon Wrote:  Hi! Well I thought Alvendor already posted it. I'm very rarely here.

I lost first game as P2 on Foundry. It was a fine game and I was under hard pressure from start on. I never was able to handle his sniper covering my bonus near my northern home. So the consequence was a loss.

Game 1 Link

Yeah I thought I was going to post an analysis of the games at the same time and became a bit of a lazyass Big Grin

For the first game: I chose Foundry as the first game. When Calmon later chose Sweetie plains I felt a bit bad as Foundry has a huge first turn advantage. But on the other hand in the event of a tie Calmon would have started as P1 on the tiebreaker game, so I guess it was only fair in that sense.

My plan for the game was to constantly pressure him top and as his back spawn tile is so far away I should be able to outnumber him.

At around turn 10 he starts producing snipers which is a good counter to my 3 health soldiers. Here I should really move my medic to a spawn point and start massing boosted soldiers but it takes a few more turns before I realize that.

Turn 15/17 my top soldier move here is pretty bad. I was planning to do it while attacking the wit space but held off the main attack as I realized I didn't have enough wits. So I basically threw away the soldier.

Turn 17 Optimal is to have a soldier on my mid wit space and a runner behind scouting so I can pick off any approaching snipers. But as he already has the sniper in position I don't want to put a 3 health soldier there. This goes together with my main plan of not allowing him to get his units from the back spawn point in play.

Turn 20-30 I trade runners on his wit tile. This is wit neutral (I kill his runner and put one of my own there for 4 wits. He kills mine and put one of his there for a 4 wits including 1 less wit as income. But the advantage for me is that I can keep reinforcing with boosted soldiers while he has to move longer from his back spawn point.

Turn 31 I feel I've got enough and move in for the kill.

So in summary: Calmon defended well and I made a few mistakes but could still abuse the first turn advantage to secure a win. Not the most interesting game but that definitely changed for our second game!

Soldier spam FTW
10-31-2012, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the analysis Alvendor and congrats to both of you for your strong showing in the tournament.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
11-01-2012, 10:25 AM
(10-31-2012 12:04 AM)calmon Wrote:  Game 2 Link

The second game had a lot of pretty advanced things going for it. So I will concentrate on them and what actually was going on in my head during it.

Sweetie Plains is a very good map for Scullywags and the FTA is not that bad so I was quite happy when Calmon chose it.

2. Protecting the sniper has highest priority and this opening does that and makes my wit side stronger which I will need to reinforce anyway. As I need a sniper there I count it to be worth 5 wits.

3. Notice he boosted the medics here, something I will come back to later.

4. I need just a few units to defend my right side. Notice I don't move out with the soldier, I try to save wits by delaying every move that can be delayed.

6. I move forward with the soldier as I don't mind him moving forward on this side of the map. I don't know how it will play out but am fairly sure I won't come out behind.

10. He kills my medic and I kill his boosted runner for a net gain of 1 wit. When there are small exchanges like this I almost always make my plays based on wit value of units. There are general plans in the back of my head but all small exchanges has the goal of gaining a wit or two until I have the advantage to go in for a kill.

12. I take the wit space but don't attack his boosted runner. The reasoning is that it could actually be worth more for me to let the runner have 2 health! When boosted he is actually limited in what he can do with it. He can for example not kill my sniper on the spawn point as he would loose 1 wit on the exchange.

16. A bombshell at this position is what makes this map so good for scullywags! It effectively shuts down the only good attack path.

I also try to take out his medic, and get really surprised when I see it boosted. I didn't expect that! I loose 3 wits on that exchange. It worked out great this time for him, but I'm not sure how I feel about the play in general. It costs 3 wits to get both medics boosted which he regained on this turn. If I had spotted medics the only gain he get is that I can't kill them. Killing medics with runners is most often wit neutral so not necessarily something to worry about. I guess the play is okay if you have a good chance of fooling your opponent which also makes it a very advanced play.

18. He taking my spawn tile came as a surprise to me. Might not be too bad, I just need to be careful.

20. After blocking my bombshell and killing one boosted runner I have 4 wits left. It is quite appealing to kill the other boosted runner as well, but would have been a huge mistake. I know the main attack is coming to the left and just one wit could be the deciding factor in that fight. So I leave the runner. I also don't splash the soldier as I haven't shown the bombshell and am hoping he could make a mistake when moving in if he doesn't know about it.

22. I got 10 wits and there are many possible combinations. I try to run through them all, actually thinking about it, put the game down and coming back a few hours later. I did this a couple of times as it was a tricky situation and would have a huge effect on the game. Finally I find the best option to be leaving his soldier on my wit space.

24-34 I believe I came out ahead on our first clash, but I still need to secure that left flank. I create another bombshell as he now has a mobi and can possibly take out the first one.

36-38 He starts spreading out towards the middle. I get a little worried he can break through there as I know Calmon is not afraid to take another attack path than the obvious if he finds a weakness.

38 I'm starting to feel I have a good enough defense on the left side and want as soon as possible start a counter attack on the other flank. I have quite a lot of wits saved and think he does as well, so I need to make sure, while attacking on the right, I always have enough to fight back if he would move out all is units on the left. At the same time I wan't to attack as much as possible to take away his initiative, I don't want to let him start to run wild with double mobis.

I really enjoyed this game as it had several tough choices in it. Sucks that it ended as it did. There is only one thing in my play I'm unhappy about. The one drawback with those defensive bombshells are that it is no effective way of using those 20 wits spent for offense. So every defensive wit I spend is a wit I can't attack with. After our big fight on 22-24 I should have estimated how much we lost each. If I knew that it would have been easier to know when to stop massing defense and I could possible have started attacking a bit earlier.

Soldier spam FTW
11-15-2012, 06:13 AM
RE: Community Tournament
(08-10-2012 02:51 AM)P1noyboypj Wrote:  Sorry it came off cocky. I just meant I want to play more games because my matchmaking isn't pairing vs high players anymore. I've actually been paired with people who haven't even won 5 games to be placed! I'm always looking to improve my game, in any way possible.

You could play more friendly matches with similarly skilled players if the system won't pair you properly. Did the showdown game take place? We want to hear more about it. Smile

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
11-16-2012, 01:54 AM
RE: Community Tournament
(11-15-2012 06:13 AM)joelduque Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 02:51 AM)P1noyboypj Wrote:  Sorry it came off cocky. I just meant I want to play more games because my matchmaking isn't pairing vs high players anymore. I've actually been paired with people who haven't even won 5 games to be placed! I'm always looking to improve my game, in any way possible.

You could play more friendly matches with similarly skilled players if the system won't pair you properly. Did the showdown game take place? We want to hear more about it. Smile

i remember sir greatgonzales saying something about making it happen in the hall of fame thread. p1noyboypj was inactive recently so maybe thats why it hasnt happened yet.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
11-16-2012, 02:06 AM
I PMed both of them a while back about this but never heard back from either of them. I will inquire!
11-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi guys, I haven't been playing much lately but can report that we have just started the games!
We eliminate FTA and I'm playing Adorables and P1noyboypj is playing Scullywags. One game on Sweetie plains and one on Peekaboo.

Soldier spam FTW
Thread Closed