Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you start out on Sharkfood Island?!
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
How do you start out on Sharkfood Island?!
This is probably my least favorite map. I have no clue to go about setting everyone up in the first 3 or 4 moves.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: How do you start out on Sharkfood Island?!
You can get some good ideas here.
http://www.onemanleft.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=417
07-27-2012, 04:18 PM
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y6dZIDA

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y9tZmDA

Just some ideas... I play REALLY defensive though so..... Also don't always do the same thing every time! You will run into people that vaguely remember what you did last time and will try to counter so mix it up! Smile
07-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I've gotten into the habit of almost always doing this as my first move regardless of whether I'm going first or second:

[Image: mmGvr.jpg]

Move Heavy to Wit Space, move Soldier up next to Heavy and Medic, spawn 2nd Soldier and move up next to 1st Soldier and Medic.

It's seemed like a reliable and adaptable opener, and it eases the panic I used to feel when going second on this map. You do run a chance of having an enemy runner ding your base for a point on turn 3, but your medic stays safe and you can close the gap on the next turn. That early runner suicide is seeming more and more like a poor trade, anyhow.

I see my opponents doing this pretty often, too, so I think it's becoming a standard opener. A common variation seems to be spawning and moving a runner to the same spot and giving him a medic boost. Makes you less able to counter an aggressive early attack, but gives you better scouting.
07-27-2012, 11:54 PM
(07-27-2012 11:44 PM)wonderpug Wrote:  It's seemed like a reliable and adaptable opener, and it eases the panic I used to feel when going second on this map. You do run a chance of having an enemy runner ding your base for a point on turn 3, but your medic stays safe and you can close the gap on the next turn. That early runner suicide is seeming more and more like a poor trade, anyhow.

I also find this to be a good move, it's nicely balanced between defense and aggression, especially for P2!

Current Ranked League Info:
1v1 Master (Promoted 7-24-12)
Total League Wins: 210
07-28-2012, 03:47 AM
I agree, this is probably the most solid way to open up.
While as P1 you have more freedom how you do your first move (have the medic boost something instead of sealing it off completely etc.), I have a feeling that this opener is almost a must as P2.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
07-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I've messed with this opener but it's fun to see it explained in more detail.