Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2v2 suggestion!
07-27-2012, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 03:13 AM by Bluegodzill.)
Information 2v2 suggestion!
Can we see how many wits our partner has when it's their turn. I mean, we can just ask them how many wits they have, but it'd be easier if it just showed Smile

Masters again finally Master League

Member of the Wolfpack clan.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2012, 03:55 AM
RE: 2v2 suggestion!
I'll add one - I would like to be able to tap an ally's unit and see its movement range, like I would for my own units and enemy units. I think this one is a no-brainer, it's nice for coordination with your partner.
07-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Do you guys find it nearly impossible to employ a super unit in 2v2? I rarely see one on the board, so I'm assuming yes. I don't know if the map size needs to be bigger or they can reduce the cost in 2v2 but it seems something should change. The only time I've been able to use one is when I have the first turn and skip it. Even then it's extremely risky.
07-27-2012, 06:06 AM
(07-27-2012 05:59 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  Do you guys find it nearly impossible to employ a super unit in 2v2? I rarely see one on the board, so I'm assuming yes. I don't know if the map size needs to be bigger or they can reduce the cost in 2v2 but it seems something should change. The only time I've been able to use one is when I have the first turn and skip it. Even then it's extremely risky.

Here's my take on this: in the first days of 1v1 games, you didn't see many Special Units. People tried to grasp the game in general and pulling a Special without knowing how to fully take advantage of them often spelled your demise. Now, you see Special Units more often (although not in every game) and people have started to build strategies around them.
The 2v2 metagame (as it is lovably called) develops slower because 2v2 games take longer. I suspect that in a few weeks time, you will see Special Units in 2v2 games. I would suspect it might take cooperation with your partner to set the board up in such a way that you can deploy a Special Unit safely, who knows?

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
(07-27-2012 05:59 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  Do you guys find it nearly impossible to employ a super unit in 2v2? I rarely see one on the board, so I'm assuming yes. I don't know if the map size needs to be bigger or they can reduce the cost in 2v2 but it seems something should change. The only time I've been able to use one is when I have the first turn and skip it. Even then it's extremely risky.

I use special units quite a bit.... Then again I play two vs. two all the time... Smile
07-29-2012, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2012 05:50 PM by Emuchu.)
I actually find it easier to spawn special units in 2v2. I have a dedicated partner, and our strategy is two-fold: He builds a defense around our bases and turtles as hard as he can by himself, usually taking potshots to one of the bases here and there as our opponents attempt to capitalize on our perceived defensive incompetence.

Meanwhile, I'll take the Wit-Space on my first turn, spawn Mobi on my next, and quietly sneak a Sniper/Soldier combo to take one of the bases in one turn. Because of the unconventional way we play, our 2v2s are thankfully pretty short.

I can only pull these kind of shenanigans off because my partner is there to take up the slack. You can come up with some silly stuff when you're coordinated, and having a partner to take the pressure off defending lets you spawn Specials as long as the two of you have a plan.
07-30-2012, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 02:40 AM by CombatEX.)
It sounds rather like trying to have someone rush out a mothership in 2v2 in Starcraft. Yea it can work, but if your opponents scout it or hard rush you you're sunk. I find it hard to believe that your opponents never see the mobi coming =/ Also with coordinated aggression, 2v1 should be easy for your opponents. I feel like they must not be attacking correctly. Do you have any replays? I'd be interested to see if this kind of strategy can actually work against good players.

Usually in my 2v2s our opponents are nearly always extremely aggressive. The games always come down to us holding off their initial attack and then cleaning up what few units they have after we shut it down. Never any need to get out a special. Perhaps as the game evolves other teams will be more defensive even with FTA and then the games will drag on long enough to warrant special units. Haven't seen this so far though.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
(07-30-2012 02:40 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  It sounds rather like trying to have someone rush out a mothership in 2v2 in Starcraft. Yea it can work, but if your opponents scout it or hard rush you you're sunk. I find it hard to believe that your opponents never see the mobi coming =/ Also with coordinated aggression, 2v1 should be easy for your opponents. I feel like they must not be attacking correctly. Do you have any replays? I'd be interested to see if this kind of strategy can actually work against good players.

Usually in my 2v2s our opponents are nearly always extremely aggressive. The games always come down to us holding off their initial attack and then cleaning up what few units they have after we shut it down. Never any need to get out a special. Perhaps as the game evolves other teams will be more defensive even with FTA and then the games will drag on long enough to warrant special units. Haven't seen this so far though.
I pretty much agree with everything you've said and have seen much of the same. I have had some success when using a super here and there but I basically only bring them out to have fun and mix it up. If I do win with a super it always feels lucky and it's always by the hair of my chin. See my post of a game vs Swimj in the Share thread for an example. We were getting dominated and dead on the next turn, when I was able to sneak mobi in with a sniper. Other than that match, and a couple with a turtled brain, I never find the wits or breathing room to pull a super off. 2v2 is just too aggressive in nature to be able to essentially surrender an entire turn. Working on one now where I brought out mobi very late in the game. I'll post, win or lose, when it's finished.