Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erroneous league assignment
07-27-2012, 06:38 AM
RE: Erroneous league assignment
Yes, the system does sort things out eventually. But taking 30+ games to do so is way, way too long.

For a real-world comparison: my child plays elementary school chess tournaments. Those tournaments start in Kindergarten, and in September of each year all of the kids are pretty much noobs by definition. For the most part K's are paired against other K's, so there aren't that many games against kids with a "known" rating.

Nonetheless, after just two weekend tournaments - 5 games each, 10 total - the ratings are pretty good. My child actually played 6 tournaments all year - 30 games total - and the rating system was always a good guide. She won some games where she was a slight underdog, and she lost some where she was slightly favored. But any time there was a mismatch, the results were exactly as one would have predicted.

The Outwitters system isn't performing nearly as well. As best as I can tell, if you gain 14-15 pts after a win, that means it thinks you were evenly matched with your opponent. But I'm not 50-50 in games it thinks I was evenly matched - I'm 20-1.

Again, I don't care about the name of the league I'm in. I care about getting quality matches.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2012, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 10:51 AM by CombatEX.)
(07-27-2012 06:38 AM)Glorishears Wrote:  Yes, the system does sort things out eventually. But taking 30+ games to do so is way, way too long.

The Outwitters system isn't performing nearly as well. As best as I can tell, if you gain 14-15 pts after a win, that means it thinks you were evenly matched with your opponent. But I'm not 50-50 in games it thinks I was evenly matched - I'm 20-1.

Again, I don't care about the name of the league I'm in. I care about getting quality matches.

I agree. I don't so much care what league I'm in, I just want to start playing opponents around my skill so my w/l can stabilize around 50/50. Currently the system doesn't seem to be making much effort in my case. I'm 22-2 (loss against a Super-Titan and a Masters) but rather than throw a bunch of Masters players at me to see if I'm ready for promotion I'm still getting primarily Gifted and even some Clever players. Clever? Really? I'm 22-2 and have beaten a Super-Titan and 7 Master players and in the past 5 games I queued up I'm matched against 1 unranked 1 clever and 3 gifted players? Just give me some more Masters already =P Maybe I'm not ready... but how am I supposed to know when I'm just being handed more Gifted players for one-sided matches?

Just to be clear, I know OML is hard at work addressing all kinds of issues with the game. The purpose of this post however is to make sure it's clear this is still a problem. The more voices the better. No hard feelings though! OML has done a great job with post-release fixes so far =)

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
12-20-2012, 11:47 PM
I've had something similar - I won my first 7 or 8 games in a row in the new season , lost one and was immediately demoted to Clever, and now am only matched up against other Clever leaguers! It took me 120 or so games to get to Gifted (I was promoted after 27 wins in a row) and now I'm looking at a long slog back. Gifted I was happy in as I was losing about 1 in every four, which to my mind is about right.