Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Variable Turn Length
07-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Variable Turn Length
Why not have the turn length be configurable? It seems some people need more time (like those who play once per week), and some people demand shorter times (12 hour turnaround). Make this a configurable option at game creation.

Alternatively, you could lose some wits for each configurable time period that you failed to submit. Your turn would be auto-submitted upon reaching zero wits.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2012, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2012 11:47 PM by calmon.)
RE: Variable Turn Length
I think the biggest problem is that you need different queues for this which means usually longer wait times until your "custom" queue is filled. It also adds potentially more room for exploiting (more queues less frequently used)
07-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what queues are you referring to? Couldn't each element in a shared queue have a descriptor indicating the wait time?

It seems that you're saying that not playing is an exploit? My understanding is that the only way to move up is to win, so at best it seems like a way of deferring a loss, which has already been shown to be a net negative to the player.
07-17-2012, 12:03 AM
The point about shared queues is this:
If you want to play games with 30 min per turn and I want to play with 4 days per turn, we should never be matched against each other. Every possible setting for the turn length would result in a separate matching queue.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user