Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A guide to race matchups - a community work. Contribute now!
04-03-2014, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 01:13 AM by Flarp55.)
A guide to race matchups - a community work. Contribute now!
So I thought we should have a guide to race vs race matchups and tips for individual races. I know that most people specialize in certain races (except Chemoeum), so no one could do this guide single-handedly, but as a community I think we should be able to fill this guide. If you have any tips for certain races, then just post the tip and I will add it. Also any good replays are appreciated. So here goes:

Scallywags
General Tips
Note: BS means bombshell.
Turtle, turtle, and turtle.
Generally you want to make sure to defend your first BS because if they kill it you are dead.
Try to make your second BS close to your first because they will then defend each other. You can relax on the defense once you have 2 BSes because it will still take them a huge amount of wits to kill one of your BSes and you can destroy their attack with your other BS. One great example of this concept is this game:
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAnNnL6AsM
As you can see the attack on turn 32 failed because of my second bombshell. The attack on turn 48 was pretty desperate as he was running out of options. I destroyed his attack, gaining one wit in the process.

Playing Scallywags against Scallywags
Be more aggressive than you normally would.
Try to position your BSes offensively and make sure to get an early offensive BS.
As you advance, it is a good idea to move your BSes up.
Note: There is a give up button at bottom left corner (top left on iPad)

Playing Scallywags against Feedback
It is easy to just turtle and win. Don't get an early BS as they may attack the turn before you plan to get the BS.

Playing Scallywags against Adorables
Be more defensive than usual. Adorables can easily kill a BS that is too far up.

Playing Scallywags against Veggienauts
In general, just turtle. Bombing a group of thorns can damage a large number of thorns at once, and if you have 2 BSes and they both bomb the same place then all the thorns around that spot are killed.

Playing against Scallywags
Be very aggressive. If you aren't scally and your opponent gets 2 well-placed BSes then you pretty much lose.
The Bombshell is worth 10 wits on it's own + boosted, and thats if it sets up right after spawning. Make sure to keep an eye on where a Bombshell is going to be set up if they move it and don't set up, as them successfully controlling a key area could be an immediate loss
If you need vision close to your opponents Bombshell, spawn + move a runner 4 spaces away, and spawn a medic (or move the one already there) to heal it next to it. This is especially effective if the runner is on a vulnerable wit space, such as on Thorn Gulley.
The Bombshell despite it's power is poor at assaulting on large maps, whilst you can't rush them, they can't rush you. If you spot them spawn one, take your time to make sure you make your army efficiently or look for weaknesses away from the bombshell(s).

Feedback
General Tips
The Scrambler has the potential both to be a game winning pawn or a game loser. Games are won not by scrambling a good unit (unless it's a special) but through that unit being used usefully by killing a sniper or special, getting key damage onto the base or by making a move that the opponent was unprepared for. Having 1 unit in range of scrambling and a row of soldiers behind it to protect vulnerable units reduces the impact a Scrambler can have whilst putting pressure on if the scrambler is present.
One unit that can be extremely key is the Heavy. Scrambling it gains 3 damage, plus if you can have a medic in range to heal it up you have made a massive return on wits. Just note that even healing it up that much you may want to still sacrifice it; the heavy takes a lot of wits to move, and if the opponent hasn't got a sniper it can take them up to 5 wits to kill it.
Using a medic to counter chip damage from Bombshells and Mobis (if they do) works well with the above!
You can pivot between Snipers and Scramblers depending if and where 3 health and 4 health soldiers are being placed. In fact if a player decided to abandon 4 health soldiers just spawning snipers can be more than enough. Rock paper scissors!
Have a lot of wits stored up so that if your opponent attacks, then you can spawn a scrambler and scramble one of their attacking troops. This can be very effective at stopping attacks.

Playing Feedback against Scallywags
Try to hit them hard on the turn before you anticipate a bombshell. If they were saving up for a BS, and you attack with a scrambler then spawning a BS will be useless and they will have too many wits and too few units to handle your attack.
It is possible to scramble a soldier, hit a BS with that soldier, retreat the soldier, and kill the BS with another soldier. This is very tempting, but don't do it unless you are planning to full-on attack as it is wit-inefficient and they can just make another BS.

Playing Feedback against Feedback
Mind games. Watch out for scramblers that pop straight off the spawn and do not put a scrambler within 4 spaces of the spawn unless you're sure they can't scramble your scrambler. Watch out for opportunities to scramble one of their scramblers.

Playing Feedback against Adorables

Playing Feedback against Veggienauts

Playing against Feedback
Using 3 health Soldiers against Scramblers is a lot more favourable than against any other race as by having only 3 health soldiers in range of the scrambler it reduces the wits it can waste of you by 1. This is minimal though, and Feedback can easily alternate between Scramblers and Snipers.

Adorables
General Tips
Generally on small maps, early mobis aren't a good idea since it wastes wits and doesn't really do much on small maps.
If you choose to invest in mobis, then make sure you have enough wits leftover. Having 2 mobis and 7 soldiers but only 7 wits is a bad idea, since you can only kill 2 soldiers with that many wits.
You can save wits by transporting units with the mobi.
Hit-and-run is a tactic where you move a unit (usually a runner or soldier) to kill another unit and then mobi the attacking unit back. This is very useful to gain a unit advantage and is always wit-efficient unless the unit is on the spawn or the unit being killed is a 1hp runner, in which case it is wit-neutral.

Playing Adorables against Scallywags

Playing Adorables against Feedback

Playing Adorables against Adorables
Don't get 2 mobis unless your opponent already has one.

Playing Adorables against Veggienauts
Spam soldiers; generally a Mobi isn't very helpful.

Playing against Adorables
Be careful not to let your base health go to 3 or 4 since you are then prone to being mobi-sniped (plus a runner if the base health is 4).
If you see an early mobi then attack because the mobi is a non-attacking unit and useless in defense, so your opponent won't be able to defend. If your opponent has 2 mobis then also attack.
Killing an Adorables sniper is worth 4 wits if it is unboosted and 5 wits if it is boosted (assuming there's a mobi). Make sure it is worth it before killing a sniper.

Veggienauts
General Tips
Vines are great for harassing poorly defended wit spaces, and killing units with low health.
When you plan to use it, plant it a turn early and spawn 2 thorns in the direction that you plan to use it in. This will let you attack with them, retract your first thorn and allow you to attack the same unit with the bramble again. Expensive, but it is really useful for
Killing a non-adorable sniper, killing Scramblers, dealing an amount of damage that the opponent wasn't expecting (especially effective on Bombshells and Mobis) and providing a much needed extra damage.
You can do the same above, but replace the second thorn attack with a unit for a much more efficient attack. It's a lot more predictable though.
Don't rush straight into a Bramble if you can help it, it takes a lot of wit investment for it to get going (8-9+ however many thorns, second most expensive is Bombshell 11 wits tops!)

Playing Veggienauts against Scallywags
Don't get a bramble. BSes can murder them.

Playing Veggienauts against Feedback

Playing Veggienauts against Adorables
Harass wit spaces and try to trap a mobi if one exists.

Playing Veggienauts against Veggienauts

Playing against Veggienauts
Spam soldiers as they are very effective at taking down thorns. Be aggressive unless you're scally.

2v2 Matchups
Generally accepted good race combos are Adorables/Scallywags and Feedback/Veggienauts.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 03:10 AM by His_Daddy.)
RE: A guide to race matchups - a community work. Contribute now!
(04-03-2014 02:53 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  Playing Scallywags against Scallywags
I would put "There is a give up button at bottom left corner.".

Fluffy League
04-03-2014, 03:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 03:23 AM by Poc 13.)
Against adorables be careful to not let you base health go below 4
Against veggies spam soldiers
Adorables general tip: you can save wits by transporting units with mobi
Veggienauts general tip: vines are great for harassing poorly defended wit spaces, and killing units with low health

Master League poc 13 Master League

I'll be right back, I'm taking the kids to school
04-03-2014, 04:41 AM
"Except Chemoeum?"

True. I can't use the Bramble very well. I remember that one match when I got my thorns scrambled... by you.

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
04-03-2014, 05:19 AM
Here's part of a rant I posted in the wolfs clan thread figured I'd share Smile

(But anyways I like to to think of it as a combat edge triangle )

Bramble has edge over mobi
Mobi has edge over bombshell
Bombshell has edge over bramble

Scrambler is neutral with no edge or positive or negative just high risk with a high payoff or massive backfire

Then after that you can get an edge from a certain maps which can end up balancing everything
Which is the best thing about Outwitters there's no unbeatable way to win
I'll explain why I gave each team an edge

Mobi is about mobility and a forest of vines simply stops that
But its ability to drop a sniper just in range to kill bombshells is devastating
Bombshells wide spread shot on brambles 2hp vines just makes growing a forest impossible
Then scramblers can 1hit anything but can also be 1hit by anything making them neutral IMO

You can rip the wings and the horn off a Mobi and try to force it to be a normal whale..But deep down the the Mobi will always be a mobi and you can never hide the scabs Never let anyone try to force you to change!
04-03-2014, 05:45 AM
(04-03-2014 05:19 AM)Extreme Ghost Wrote:  Here's part of a rant I posted in the wolfs clan thread figured I'd share Smile

(But anyways I like to to think of it as a combat edge triangle )

Bramble has edge over mobi
Mobi has edge over bombshell
Bombshell has edge over bramble

Scrambler is neutral with no edge or positive or negative just high risk with a high payoff or massive backfire

Then after that you can get an edge from a certain maps which can end up balancing everything
Which is the best thing about Outwitters there's no unbeatable way to win
I'll explain why I gave each team an edge

Mobi is about mobility and a forest of vines simply stops that
But its ability to drop a sniper just in range to kill bombshells is devastating
Bombshells wide spread shot on brambles 2hp vines just makes growing a forest impossible
Then scramblers can 1hit anything but can also be 1hit by anything making them neutral IMO

Is there any advice to gain from that that I should post on the OP?

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

04-03-2014, 07:38 AM
-Keep an eye out for signs of an adorable player spawning 2 mobis, if you time it right and make sure to attack mostly damaging units, it could win you the game through overwhelming the opponent.
-Killing Adorable snipers is worth 4 wits unboosted, 5 wits boosted. Make sure a trade is worth it before killing a sniper that is vulnerable.
-(I've given a lot of advice in my guide on how to play Adorables already)

-The Bombshell is worth 10 wits on it's own + boosted, and thats if it sets up right after spawning. Make sure to keep an eye on where a Bombshell is going to be set up if they move it and don't set up, as them successfully controlling a key area could be an immediate loss
-If you need vision close to your opponents Bombshell, spawn + move a runner 4 spaces away, and spawn a medic (or move the one already there) to heal it next to it. This is especially effective if the runner is on a vulnerable wit space, such as on Thorn Gulley.
-The Bombshell despite it's power is poor at assaulting on large maps, whilst you can't rush them, they can't rush you. If you spot them spawn one, take your time to make sure you make your army efficiently or look for weaknesses away from the bombshell(s).

-The Scrambler has the potential both to be a game winning pawn or a game loser. Games are won not by scrambling a good unit (unless it's a special) but through that unit being used usefully by killing a sniper or special, getting key damage onto the base or by making a move that the opponent was unprepared for. Having 1 unit in range of scrambling and a row of soldiers behind it to protect vulnerable units reduces the impact a Scrambler can have whilst putting pressure on if the scrambler is present.
-One unit that can be extremely key is the Heavy. Scrambling it gains 3 damage, plus if you can have a medic in range to heal it up you have made a massive return on wits. Just note that even healing it up that much you may want to still sacrifice it; the heavy takes a lot of wits to move, and if the opponent hasn't got a sniper it can take them up to 5 wits to kill it.
-Using a medic to counter chip damage from Bombshells and Mobis (if they do) works well with the above!
-Using 3 health Soldiers against Scramblers is a lot more favourable than against any other race as by having only 3 health soldiers in range of the scrambler it reduces the wits it can waste of you by 1. This is minimal though, and Feedback can easily alternate between Scramblers and Snipers.
-Likewise advice based on the above for Feedback; the race can pivot between Snipers and Scramblers depending if and where 3 health and 4 health soldiers are being placed. In fact if a player decided to abandon 4 health soldiers just spawning snipers can be more than enough. Rock paper scissors!

-When you plan to use it, plant it a turn early and spawn 2 thorns in the direction that you plan to use it in. This will let you attack with them, retract your first thorn and allow you to attack the same unit with the bramble again. Expensive, but it is really useful for >Killing a non-adorable sniper, killing Scramblers, dealing an amount of damage that the opponent wasn't expecting (especially effective on Bombshells and Mobis) and providing a much needed extra damage.
-You can do the same above, but replace the second thorn attack with a unit for a much more efficient attack. It's a lot more predictable though.
-Don't rush straight into a Bramble if you can help it, it takes a lot of wit investment for it to get going (8-9+ however many thorns, second most expensive is Bombshell 11 wits tops!)

General advice: In my opinion, Soldiers are more reliable and worth more than Specials when comparing cost to what they do. The exception to this is Bombshell, who is arguable more reliable than soldiers due to their bulk + situational offence in exchange for mobility and flexible offence. Keep this in mind though when going up against a race you have a tough time with, as this can help you not have to rely on your special as much if you can't use it well vs that opponent.

(Now, sorry if you don't really want me to do this but I'm going to add this to my guide too as especially my Bombshell and Bramble advice are lacking)

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
04-03-2014, 08:47 AM
(04-03-2014 04:41 AM)Chemoeum Wrote:  "Except Chemoeum?"

True. I can't use the Bramble very well. I remember that one match when I got my thorns scrambled... by you.

I meant that you are good with all races, don't specialize in any one in particular.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

04-03-2014, 08:50 AM
(04-03-2014 08:47 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 04:41 AM)Chemoeum Wrote:  "Except Chemoeum?"

I meant that you are good with all races, don't specialize in any one in particular.

Also true. I don't specialize, I vary.

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
04-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Hmmm, have you thought of adding 2v2 combos to this? If you do, PM me; I'll have something to say. In the meantime I might put up some Feedback stuff if I feel like it.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'