Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving Up Before You Get An Opponent
03-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Giving Up Before You Get An Opponent
A question I've always wondered about: what happens in 1v1 if you give up before you even draw an opponent? Say you've just started a new game and you're like, "Dangit--this is the fifth game in a row on Long Nine! Screw it, I'm giving up." Well you have no opponent yet, so how could it affect your ranking?

I realize that you get a pop-up which says it counts as a loss, but who trusts that pop-up? You get the same message on a Pass And Play game. Anyway, if anybody knows, I'm curious.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2014, 06:31 AM
RE: Giving Up Before You Get An Opponent
"Auto-Match Wins!"

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
03-27-2014, 06:31 AM
(03-27-2014 06:21 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  A question I've always wondered about: what happens in 1v1 if you give up before you even draw an opponent? Say you've just started a new game and you're like, "Dangit--this is the fifth game in a row on Long Nine! Screw it, I'm giving up." Well you have no opponent yet, so how could it affect your ranking?

I realize that you get a pop-up which says it counts as a loss, but who trusts that pop-up? You get the same message on a Pass And Play game. Anyway, if anybody knows, I'm curious.

The game does not count against you. Some consider this "cheating" since you can pick only maps you're good at.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
03-27-2014, 07:02 AM
(03-27-2014 06:31 AM).Memories. Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 06:21 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  A question I've always wondered about: what happens in 1v1 if you give up before you even draw an opponent? Say you've just started a new game and you're like, "Dangit--this is the fifth game in a row on Long Nine! Screw it, I'm giving up." Well you have no opponent yet, so how could it affect your ranking?

The game does not count against you. Some consider this "cheating" since you can pick only maps you're good at.

Actually, this is a bug that needs to be fixed. maybe it should be considered a loss against an equally ranked opponent. Or maybe you shouldn't be a able to quit until you are matched up.

Can someone put this in the "Outwitters" forum?

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
03-27-2014, 08:03 AM
(03-27-2014 07:02 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  

Actually, this is a bug that needs to be fixed. maybe it should be considered a loss against an equally ranked opponent. Or maybe you shouldn't be a able to quit until you are matched up.

Actually it probably would hinder you to do this, since there still seems to be a significant first-player advantage. This is both because you get the first move *and* you get a wit advantage--I still don't understand why this wasn't fixed. Maybe there's a thread on that.

I guess maybe you could put this to use. There are some boards where first player is actually at a disadvantage--haven't looked into it. Or perhaps if you chose a race not well-suited to the board, there would be an advantage to quitting.
03-27-2014, 09:01 AM
(03-27-2014 08:03 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 07:02 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  

Actually it probably would hinder you to do this, since there still seems to be a significant first-player advantage. This is both because you get the first move *and* you get a wit advantage--I still don't understand why this wasn't fixed. Maybe there's a thread on that.

I guess maybe you could put this to use. There are some boards where first player is actually at a disadvantage--haven't looked into it. Or perhaps if you chose a race not well-suited to the board, there would be an advantage to quitting.

There is no wit advantage... FTA only exists on Foundry and War Garden.
Anyways, if you start a game and you are first and then start another game, then chances are nobody else started a game in that small time period, so you will still be first.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

03-27-2014, 12:23 PM
(03-27-2014 09:01 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  There is no wit advantage... FTA only exists on Foundry and War Garden.

That's quite a bold statement with zero backup lol. I'd argue sweet tooth, skull duggery, and reaper also have FTA. Maybe even glitch and peekaboo.
03-27-2014, 12:39 PM
(03-27-2014 12:23 PM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 09:01 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  There is no wit advantage... FTA only exists on Foundry and War Garden.

That's quite a bold statement with zero backup lol. I'd argue sweet tooth, skull duggery, and reaper also have FTA. Maybe even glitch and peekaboo.

Hmm... I've never heard anyone mention FTA on those maps but maybe you're right. Though the advantage is pretty small and probably only visible at high levels. Reaper only has FTA for adorables.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

03-27-2014, 01:01 PM
(03-27-2014 12:39 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 12:23 PM)awpertunity Wrote:  

Hmm... I've never heard anyone mention FTA on those maps but maybe you're right. Though the advantage is pretty small and probably only visible at high levels. Reaper only has FTA for adorables.

I don't know about this. Foundry has very little FTA if you open correctly. War Garden as well, I tend to do better with P2 there. I think FTA isn't that big of an issue anymore, and if I had to pick a map with FTA, it might be SFI.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
03-27-2014, 01:11 PM
FTA totally depends on the opening of both players. What happens afterwards totally depends on the initial setup.

GC: TheGreatAnt