Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutoring thread
03-18-2014, 09:25 AM
RE: Tutoring thread
(03-18-2014 04:25 AM)AttackBomb Wrote:  
(03-18-2014 04:08 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 02:47 PM)AttackBomb Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 06:46 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Alvendor: disagree ^^ Two mobis is always bad when your opponent has one less, unless you are very late in the game. Because if he attacks you knowing you have two mobis (he will know it, if you have two mobis, that's to use them) he won't focus your mobis, he will focus everything else. So you will end up with two mobis alive, but almost nothing else anymroe, and mobis alone are useless. You can't expect your opponent to kill your mobis because it is "wit efficient", it's obvious in these cases that you have to aim the units which can deal damage. Smile

Is it bad to have three? I currently have three against feedback on Glitch. It is a stalemate and he's been pull scramblers left and right.

Mobi against feedback isn't that good, especially on glitch? Mobi on this map hasn't got a real point. What you want to have there is the unit advantage, you want to be efficient, and scramblers are way more efficient than mobis. So, yes, it is bad to have three, especially against feedback,adn especially on this map. Even one mobi isn't nice there. Smile

Well he's choking my wit space with a scrambler, so yeah.
The only thing you really can do is try to keep his units at bay while keeping your units mobi'd back out of range. But at some point, you've gotta cut losses and go for that scrambler. Waiting will just make things worse eventually, especially on a small map where every space is useful, and 3 are being used up by mobis that could house a defensive soldier.

GC: TheGreatAnt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2014, 09:49 AM
(03-17-2014 08:27 AM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  
(03-17-2014 06:09 AM)LegacyofEight Wrote:  Thanks so much FrozenNorthernKid for tutoring me Smile I really appreciate it.
See y'all in the tourney?
Fluffy League LegacyofEight Fluffy League
No problem, happy I can help Smile
Which tourney?

The species specifics. I'm the only fluffy Smile Fluffy League
-Legacy

Ps: any of u play project m (it's a mod for super smash brawl)

Once a Wolfpack, always a Wolfpack
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-18-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm sitting that one out; I'm a bit burned out on special rules at the moment.

I will definitely give project M a look when I get the time (drowning in backlog of games). And best of luck in the tourney!

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
03-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Thanks. I know I'm not going to do well. Look at the roster on the spec spec thread. I'm the only fluffy -.-

Also, let me know if you try project m I really like it. It's good for taking out anger Smile

03-20-2014, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 01:17 PM by Demon.)
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAnMKijAgM
Game 2. Commentary time!

General Overview
Overall, showed some improvement over our first game, which is always a good thing! I saw a lot of the things I mentioned in the first commentary crop up, which is good.

Turn-by-Turn

1 - An opening! Heavy to center is a common and good move to make on this map as it makes it difficult for opponent to spam up the middle. The downside is the Heavy's poor vision. Medic to spawn - okay, IMO. Boosting the sniper turn one can make a difference on this map, since its open nature causes many players to become runner-happy. The medic spawn on the left I would avoid. Not that it's a bad move, but it isn't a good move for turn 1. 2 medics is a pretty good tactic on this map, and I usually use it when turtling in, but overall taking the wit would have been a better move. In fact, I would say you should probably always take wits when opening.

2 - I did some different stuff. I chose runner over heavy for vision, and because I didn't want to commit to having my heavy center all game when I know there will be action to the right. Runner is boosted so it can't be killed by runner. I also pop out an early soldier to the right, because some people like to rush early (I wouldn't recommend that; early rushes don't end well if your opponent is prepared).

3 - Good moves on the right, you've set up a line. Unfortunately, your left side is wide open. It doesn't matter yet, but remember that early rush I just mentioned? If I had done that, you would have been hard-pressed to defend.

4 - More soldiers, because you can't have too many. You'll notice I'm not boosting, though normally I advocate boosting soldiers. Part of this is saving wits (I need to set up quickly), and part is because I see no sign of units other than soldiers anywhere near my soldiers, so there's no point in having 4 HP over 3; they die in 2 hits either way.

5 - Runner for vision, good. More soldiers (a left-side soldier!!), good.

6 - Always nice to have a sniper behind your wall. My runner is 'killing the lights,' so to speak. I should have done that before spawning the sniper; that way you wouldn't know what I spawned. Second runner has dual purpose; first, I see nearly the entire map, second, I want to make sure to get your sniper next turn.

7 - Not much to say, solid turn.

8 - Blind runner strike!! Watching replay of your opponent's turns can help you know where their units are even if you can't see them.

9 - Ah, the attack. This was your big mistake here. You couldn't see hardly any of my units, while I knew just about everything you had and where. Don't rush!! Turtle in, scout it out.

10 - Counter. Killed about half your troops while keeping defenses intact. All with the standard 7 wits. At this point your position is bad; you're overextended, and pretty much all your troops will die no matter what the next couple turns. You have hardly any defenses.

I can't really help you at this point; it's nigh impossible to win from that position.

Umm, more general stuff . . .

You were actually doing alright up until the attack. Knowing when to attack is crucial, and it takes a lot of practice. I know I've lost games recently because I either went too early or missed the opportunity. My best advice (besides playing more games) is to scout more. Knowledge is power, after all. And sometimes the best offense is a solid defense.

Keep it up, though, you'll get better! When I think of the moves I made when I was in Fluffy . . . *shudder*

Anyways, best of luck!
- Demon/FrozenNorthernKid

03-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks Demon!
I'll make sure to look at the replays some more. Thanks for tutoring!

03-21-2014, 11:36 AM
(03-18-2014 09:49 AM)LegacyofEight Wrote:  Ps: any of u play project m (it's a mod for super smash brawl)

I play regular Brawl, never tried project M. What's the difference other than new characters and no slipping?

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
It looks like overall it's faster and more fluid. Think I might give it a try.

03-21-2014, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 02:20 PM by LegacyofEight.)
(03-21-2014 11:36 AM)ElPared Wrote:  
(03-18-2014 09:49 AM)LegacyofEight Wrote:  Ps: any of u play project m (it's a mod for super smash brawl)

I play regular Brawl, never tried project M. What's the difference other than new characters and no slipping?

Project M HAS ROY IN IT UNLIKE BRAWL. Roy is my favorite to play. He's like a slower but heavier damage Marth. Same move set. The other differences: M is just for fighting with friends or vs CPUs. There is no adventure mode or challengers. All stages and characters come unlocked. Also none of those blesh cheap stages where you can die from the stage (poke float, poke stadium, etc). Also no Smash Balls. (So cheap!)

Hope you play!
-legacy

Also, don't watch the vid by LetsPlayMax on how to install. My cousin did mine, but he was incredibly frustrated by the vid, because Max skipped a step. He's also kinda annoying.

03-24-2014, 12:23 AM
I main Pikachu, so as long as he's more or less the same I'll be happy. I might try it out, not sure. I'm probably pretty rusty, haven't played in a while.

anyways, back to this being a tutoring thread...

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome