Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutoring thread
03-16-2014, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 01:12 PM by Demon.)
Information Tutoring thread
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAnPyE1goM
I agreed to play some teaching games and give pointers, so here it is. If anyone here is more wise than I (as many of you are) and notice/think of something I fail to mention, please chime in.

Turn 1 - You chose to do nothing, though you might as well have taken the wit, since you would immediately get it back next turn anyhow. I'm a big fan of moving the heavy to the wit, not only because it defends the wit (and two lanes of attack) but it also gives you the vision to avoid the dreaded back-door soldier scenario (your opponent could still slip a runner in, but no one ever does). Many players also like to produce runners early for vision, though this map is so small I usually don't bother.

Turn 2 - This is just a basic P2 opening. It protects the wit as well as the medic, and gives me presence and vision in all 3 lanes.

Turn 3 - Not much to say, you've moved some units forward and could just leave them there. You've also saved 3 wits, which is nice.

Turn 4 - Because I see your heavy, I make a sniper for defense. I could move my soldier out of range, but leave it there, since if you attack I trade favorably.

Turn 5 - This is where vision starts to hurt ya. Your poor heavy never saw it coming. Scrambler is an okay choice, if you're going to put it to use. Otherwise it's wasted wits. Personally I probably would have made a sniper.

Turn 6 - Just basic stuff, kill heavy, reinforce position, save wits. I'm playing defense because I don't know what else you have.

Turn 7 - Why move the soldier up? You don't know what I have, better to wall up, save.

Turn 8 - This is where I burn my small reserve of wits. I've killed your soldiers, taken your wit, and the only thing protecting your base is a single scrambler which I can kill in a single hit. Your soldier is too far to be any use.

Not much to say about the rest of the game, at this point your position was too bad for you to really have any chance.

Summary of tips:
- Openings! I suggest looking at P1 and P2 openings of ST players on OSN. Practice with some of those, find one you like.
- Presence and vision! These are very important to maintain in all areas of the map. Know where your enemies are at, and prepare thusly. (Once you've mastered this, learn to keep high priority units hidden and protected.)
- Attack/defend! Know when it's in your favor to attack. You want to trade favorably to maintain an edge in troops and wits. If you can't it's better to play defense and save the wits.
- Positioning! This goes hand-in-hand with vision and presence. Place units where they'll be useful.

More specific things:
SOLDIER WALLS
This is a common tactic. It's exactly what it sounds like. Good defense formation that can quickly become a strike force. Even better when boosted, which leads to my other tip . . .
MEDIC ON SPAWN
Another staple of the game, this is part of positioning. Sit that medic next to your spawn where it can boost units as you produce. It's wit-efficient, and keeps your medic safe.

That's all for now, I might have some more advanced tips after more games Smile If you want me to be P1 on a certain map or to use a certain race, just PM me and let me know. Cheers!

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2014, 12:37 PM
RE: Tutoring thread
Let's go buddy.

Gifted League GC ID: Bubba2701Gifted League

If life gives you lemons, you trade them for wheat and make beer.
-AttackBomb
03-16-2014, 01:20 PM
(03-16-2014 12:37 PM)AttackBomb Wrote:  Let's go buddy.

What, you wanna fight?! O_O

03-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Tip: don't pay attention to Mag!cGuy or anything he says; it's not like he has the most experience tutoring outwitters or anything.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
03-16-2014, 01:23 PM
(03-16-2014 01:20 PM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  

As they in my town "Let's take to The Path"

In all seriousness, I would like a tutor, my game's been off and I'd like some help

-AttackBomb
03-16-2014, 01:28 PM
(03-16-2014 01:22 PM)[PETA] Doodat Wrote:  Tip: don't pay attention to Mag!cGuy or anything he says; it's not like he has the most experience tutoring outwitters or anything.

He's cool though. He's got magic.

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
03-16-2014, 01:28 PM
(03-16-2014 01:23 PM)AttackBomb Wrote:  

In all seriousness, I would like a tutor, my game's been off and I'd like some help

I'm not sure I can help you, I doubt I'm much better than you, if better at all.

03-16-2014, 01:32 PM
(03-16-2014 01:28 PM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 01:23 PM)AttackBomb Wrote:  

I'm not sure I can help you, I doubt I'm much better than you, if better at all.

Hey anything can help, and I will ask Mag!cGuy when I gain the courage. He scares me.

-AttackBomb
03-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Doing nothing first turn also gives you a unit disadvantage.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
03-16-2014, 01:51 PM
AB - send me a friendly then, just don't expect too much.

Bbbbobbbbb - I knew I was missing something obvious. Got wrapped up trying to explain how you're not saving as many wits as you think. Also, vision! You can't see crap from your starting troops.