Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OSN Data Sharing Initiative
03-13-2014, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2014 07:20 AM by SuperDonkey.)
RE: OSN Data Sharing Initiative
(03-12-2014 12:38 PM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 11:24 AM)Extreme Ghost Wrote:  This is scientific proof that even pixel/cyber wolfs hunt in packs this thread should be on a nature documentary bwhaha Big Grin

Lol

And apologies to SuperDonkey, again, I understand where you're coming from, though I don't agree. I do not mean to be so aggressive in my arguments, I am a person who is very strong in his opinions and do not mean to be rude.

Haha--no offense taken! I just want to be sure people are understanding what I'm trying to say.

(03-12-2014 10:59 AM)Extreme Ghost Wrote:  @SD Why can't friendlies be used to practice strategies out? I don't see how thay can't be used in that way? Still

And I don't see how ppl were screwed by there friendlys were added to the updated so some one seen a vid of a bunch of matches between you and a buddy on the same map your playing them on
Even if the vid was an almost exact re-make of the game ur playing with them any one that dives into FOW based on what thay seen in a vid with out scouting can easily end up making a game losing mistake and if thay scout the vid didn't realy matter ...

Either way Alex said he was making a button for it XD

Imagine you're looking at your opponent's recent games and you come across a set of 25 games he has just finished, against the same opponent, on the same board you're playing on. The really early games have the same few first moves as your current game before they diverge--then later games have several more moves the same before they diverge--and the most recent games follow your game all the way up to its current turn.

Furthermore, in the more recent games, your opponent's side of the board always has *exactly* the same setup, while the side representing your side has several different positions (evidently based on their guesses about where your pieces are). The games are then played out for several turns, with your opponent trying out various strategies (maybe spawns a mobi in one instance and hopes you don't realize he's low on wit, or he tries to hide two runners in the FOW in another instance.) What would you conclude?

You would conclude that you now know your opponents exact current position, that you know what he's guessing you have, and that you know what one or two things he's going to try next.

THAT is why you're screwed if your friendlies were added in the middle of your placement match.

(03-13-2014 01:31 AM)amoffett11 Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 07:25 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  The Friendly game has been a very convenient way to prepare for important games like placement games (you lose one of those, kiss any promotion dreams you had goodbye).

I don't think you understand how the "placement games" work...

Hi Amoffett11--

Thanks for taking the time to post all that. I had no idea that was how things worked and find it extremely interesting (like you, I'd like to hear confirmation of course).

My comment was based on hearsay and empirical example drawn from a very small sample size. Here's my story:

I have a friend who lost a single one of his five placement games. The game he lost was against the Veggienauts back when they had 3-health thorns. He was then placed as Gifted, and he has since won 15-20 games in a row (including placement games) without a single loss and without being promoted. This is despite having heard that, after they nerfed the Veggies, those losses to the overpowered Veggienauts no longer count against you [anyone know about that??]. I, on the other hand, played 5 games total--just my placement games--and went directly to Master. So our theory is that you'd better not lose placement games.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2014, 07:27 AM
... 25 games. I didn't think before that anyone put that much thought into thier moves. Quite frankly i dont think most people would even bother to check OSN and watch all 25 games. I feel like doing that would burn you out soooo fast. Lol
03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
(03-13-2014 06:55 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 12:38 PM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 11:24 AM)Extreme Ghost Wrote:  This is scientific proof that even pixel/cyber wolfs hunt in packs this thread should be on a nature documentary bwhaha Big Grin

Lol

And apologies to SuperDonkey, again, I understand where you're coming from, though I don't agree. I do not mean to be so aggressive in my arguments, I am a person who is very strong in his opinions and do not mean to be rude.

Haha--no offense taken! I just want to be sure people are understanding what I'm trying to say.

(03-12-2014 10:59 AM)Extreme Ghost Wrote:  @SD Why can't friendlies be used to practice strategies out? I don't see how thay can't be used in that way? Still

And I don't see how ppl were screwed by there friendlys were added to the updated so some one seen a vid of a bunch of matches between you and a buddy on the same map your playing them on
Even if the vid was an almost exact re-make of the game ur playing with them any one that dives into FOW based on what thay seen in a vid with out scouting can easily end up making a game losing mistake and if thay scout the vid didn't realy matter ...

Either way Alex said he was making a button for it XD

Imagine you're looking at your opponent's recent games and you come across a set of 25 games he has just finished, against the same opponent, on the same board you're playing on. The really early games have the same few first moves as your current game before they diverge--then later games have several more moves the same before they diverge--and the most recent games follow your game all the way up to its current turn.

Furthermore, in the more recent games, your opponent's side of the board always has *exactly* the same setup, while the side representing your side has several different positions (evidently based on their guesses about where your pieces are). The games are then played out for several turns, with your opponent trying out various strategies (maybe spawns a mobi in one instance and hopes you don't realize he's low on wit, or he tries to hide two runners in the FOW in another instance.) What would you conclude?

You would conclude that you now know your opponents exact current position, that you know what he's guessing you have, and that you know what one or two things he's going to try next.

THAT is why you're screwed if your friendlies were added in the middle of your placement match.

(03-13-2014 01:31 AM)amoffett11 Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 07:25 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  The Friendly game has been a very convenient way to prepare for important games like placement games (you lose one of those, kiss any promotion dreams you had goodbye).

I don't think you understand how the "placement games" work...

Hi Amoffett11--

Thanks for taking the time to post all that. I had no idea that was how things worked and find it extremely interesting (like you, I'd like to hear confirmation of course).

My comment was based on hearsay and empirical example drawn from a very small sample size. Here's my story:

I have a friend who lost a single one of his five placement games. The game he lost was against the Veggienauts back when they had 3-health thorns. He was then placed as Gifted, and he has since won 15-20 games in a row (including placement games) without a single loss and without being promoted. This is despite having heard that, after they nerfed the Veggies, those losses to the overpowered Veggienauts no longer count against you [anyone know about that??]. I, on the other hand, played 5 games total--just my placement games--and went directly to Master. So our theory is that you'd better not lose placement games.

I think he thought you meant "placement" game to mean the 1st game on a new season. They also call that a placement game. The placement games you mean are the 1st 5 games you've ever played on an account. Those definitely do have a special effect on your hidden ranking and even losing 1 game can dramatically effect your initial hidden ranking.

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4
03-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Aha. Well, the initial placemat games are completely different from the placement games at the beginning of the season, at least as far as I understand it. Yes, based on your wins in your first 5 games, I've seen people placed everywhere from Fluffy to Masters, and I have no idea what the criteria is for who ends up where. These placement games are different from the in-between seasons ones now though.

As for losses against OP Veggies not counting, I've never seen or read that anywhere.

GC name: amoffett11
1v1 Super-Titan
2v2 with .Memories. and 2v2 random Master League

Until you stalk and overrun you can't devour anyone
03-13-2014, 08:41 AM
I originally placed in Fluffy, I'm nearly to Masters now. Promoted twice in season 1. So placements don't matter that much, as you will eventually reach your true skill level. And veggies are not OP lol. Not anymore.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Yea, I agree that the first 5 placement games shouldn't matter. It's true if you win all 5, you'll be more likely to end up in Masters in the beginning, but you should eventually end up in the league you belong in as your hidden ranking goes up/down. It may take longer, but you'll eventually settle out to your real skill level.

[Image: sig.png]
03-13-2014, 10:21 AM
If you look at the OSN profile of any non-ST, you'll find that their replays generate almost no views. So I don't think this is something you need to worry about. If it really means a lot to you, you could always make another account for playing out scenarios as Cor suggested. I can assure you there's no one that would take the time to tediously pore over every replay submitted to OSN in a desperate bid to discover your account
03-13-2014, 11:06 AM
I also don't think that OML should change a great new feature to accomodate those that are breaking the spirit of 1v1 by talking about it with someone else. I do however concede that if you were doing this at the time they updated it without you knowing that they had would have caused problems for you.

[Image: sig.png]
03-14-2014, 09:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 09:36 AM by SuperDonkey.)
(03-13-2014 07:27 AM)Setorines Wrote:  ... 25 games. I didn't think before that anyone put that much thought into thier moves. Quite frankly i dont think most people would even bother to check OSN and watch all 25 games. I feel like doing that would burn you out soooo fast. Lol

Hehe *nod*

I wouldn't play that many for a non placement game. But I take my placement games srsly.

Funny story: in some of those games I would spend multiple hours at a time thinking about important moves. My wife caught me twice at 3 am, still awake, bent over a sheet of hex paper using chess pieces as stand-ins for Outwitters units. After I finished my fifth placement game, she was so pissed that I had to promise not to play games on my phone for several months.
03-14-2014, 09:38 AM
(03-14-2014 09:31 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  
(03-13-2014 07:27 AM)Setorines Wrote:  ... 25 games. I didn't think before that anyone put that much thought into thier moves. Quite frankly i dont think most people would even bother to check OSN and watch all 25 games. I feel like doing that would burn you out soooo fast. Lol

Hehe *nod*

I wouldn't play that many for a non placement game. But I take my placement games srsly.

Funny story: in some of those games I would spend multiple hours at a time thinking about important moves. My wife caught me twice at 3 am, still awake, bent over a sheet of hex paper using chess pieces as stand-ins for Outwitters units. After I finished my fifth placement game, she was so pissed that I had to promise not to play games on my phone for several months.

LOL

I'm about to get pretty serious for this 2v2 placement I'm doing. Don't think I'll get quite that serious though.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'