Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OSN Data Sharing Initiative
03-12-2014, 07:07 AM
RE: OSN Data Sharing Initiative
The point here is that some people play against a friend, in a friendly, to test out strategies in an ongoing League match (perhaps even a placement match). If you're in the middle of a placement match and all of a sudden 20 games get posted under your name on the same board against the same person, all your opponent has to do is log on and take a look. He can tell 1) exactly what you have and where; 2) what you think he has and where; 3) what strategies you're planning in future turns; 4) what strategies you think he is planning or should use.

Now, therefore, this tool is useless for the purpose to which some were putting it. That's fine--we'll have to devise some other way of doing this. However, since all of us were 'outed' without warning (so to speak), if we were in the middle of a game it has now been compromised. We can't go back and remove the information which was disseminated.

Not cool.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2014, 07:19 AM
(03-12-2014 06:07 AM)Gullsjakal Wrote:  I am very upset about the fact that all the Friendly games I have played over the last few weeks were automatically posted to OSN. One of the conditions I insist on before I will play a Friendly game with anybody is that all players agree that the game will NOT be posted to OSN. Did you even stop to consider that people may be testing out opening lines for league games they are currently playing? Is there a way I can have all my Friendly games you posted to OSN purged? Is there a way I can opt-out of having my Friendly games automatically posted to OSN in the future?

it's a valid concern. I'll look into adding some sort of toggle in the options menu in an update for people to opt-out of friendlies being archived in OSN.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
03-12-2014, 07:25 AM
(03-12-2014 06:19 AM)[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 06:07 AM)Gullsjakal Wrote:  I am very upset about the fact that all the Friendly games I have played over the last few weeks were automatically posted to OSN. One of the conditions I insist on before I will play a Friendly game with anybody is that all players agree that the game will NOT be posted to OSN. Did you even stop to consider that people may be testing out opening lines for league games they are currently playing? Is there a way I can have all my Friendly games you posted to OSN purged? Is there a way I can opt-out of having my Friendly games automatically posted to OSN in the future?

I think this is a valid concern for some people, although I personally don't think it's a big deal.

There are some things you can do if you are really concerned about this.

1. You can do pass and play games instead of friendlies
2. You can create an alternate GCID for your super secret strategy development

Hey Cor13:4--Love your sig.

The Friendly game has been a very convenient way to prepare for important games like placement games (you lose one of those, kiss any promotion dreams you had goodbye). Unfortunately, I don't see any of your suggestions saving it.

1. Pass and play--can't do that with your partner several miles away.
2. Alternate GCID--slightly better, but ultimately not airtight. If you can sort by board, by recent games, you can probably find signs of people trying to test out strategies, and then check whether the moves they're making match your game. Or just start poking around in recent games on that board for ideas and you could stumble across your very game. Point is, you might be able to ameliorate the problem but you can't solve it.

When you get to Turn 13, sending Friendlies back and forth to test strategies gets old fast, so I've been considering alternatives anyway. But I wish the Friendlies option were still available. (In many games, if you're very careful and consider each move, the decisive battle is often over well before that point.)
03-12-2014, 08:09 AM
(03-12-2014 07:25 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 06:19 AM)[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:  

I think this is a valid concern for some people, although I personally don't think it's a big deal.

There are some things you can do if you are really concerned about this.

1. You can do pass and play games instead of friendlies
2. You can create an alternate GCID for your super secret strategy development

Hey Cor13:4--Love your sig.

The Friendly game has been a very convenient way to prepare for important games like placement games (you lose one of those, kiss any promotion dreams you had goodbye). Unfortunately, I don't see any of your suggestions saving it.

1. Pass and play--can't do that with your partner several miles away.
2. Alternate GCID--slightly better, but ultimately not airtight. If you can sort by board, by recent games, you can probably find signs of people trying to test out strategies, and then check whether the moves they're making match your game. Or just start poking around in recent games on that board for ideas and you could stumble across your very game. Point is, you might be able to ameliorate the problem but you can't solve it.

LOL ok if anyone is doing this against me they deserve the win anyway. They clearly want it more than I do.
03-12-2014, 08:11 AM
(03-12-2014 08:09 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  LOL ok if anyone is doing this against me they deserve the win anyway. They clearly want it more than I do.

Outwitters is srs bidness, yo. Cool

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
03-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Lol people can watch my games all they want I rarely reuse strats.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
03-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Dude, I mostly just throw ping pong balls at my iPad to play this game. Tongue

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2014, 08:58 AM
(03-12-2014 08:28 AM)TheGreatErenan Wrote:  Dude, I mostly just throw ping pong balls at my iPad to play this game. Tongue

1000s of monkeys throwing 1000s of ping pong balls at the screen can beat poweewee/LER4T.
03-12-2014, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 09:07 AM by .Memories..)
I sometimes look at replays if I am playing someone in a tournament on a specific map or something. But usually they are league games that I look at, not friendlies.

*EDIT: And not that it ever helps, anyway..

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
03-12-2014, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 09:11 AM by jchris98.)
Second thing. There is nothing to stop you from looking at their games to try to find their strategy too.

(03-12-2014 07:07 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  The point here is that some people play against a friend, in a friendly, to test out strategies in an ongoing League match (perhaps even a placement match). If you're in the middle of a placement match and all of a sudden 20 games get posted under your name on the same board against the same person, all your opponent has to do is log on and take a look. He can tell 1) exactly what you have and where; 2) what you think he has and where; 3) what strategies you're planning in future turns; 4) what strategies you think he is planning or should use.

Now, therefore, this tool is useless for the purpose to which some were putting it. That's fine--we'll have to devise some other way of doing this. However, since all of us were 'outed' without warning (so to speak), if we were in the middle of a game it has now been compromised. We can't go back and remove the information which was disseminated.

Not cool.

I think that it is sort of cheating to try out things with a friend in an ongoing league match. It's 1v1 not 1v2.

[Image: sig.png]