Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Nine - P2 losses sniper on turn 2
07-14-2012, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 06:35 AM by Mad.Whack.)
Long Nine - P2 losses sniper on turn 2
Hey guys, I find P2 will always lose his sniper on this map on turn two if he doesn't;
-back up the sniper and block the choke with another unit.
Or
-Use two wits to move and heal the sniper.

Anyone else think this is a more glaring FTA move on this map?

I think if you were to backup the snipers and extra spot it would mitigate the FTA.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2012, 02:24 AM
RE: Long Nine - P2 losses sniper on turn 2
Isn't the same true for P1? He will lose his sniper on turn two if he doesn't block or heal the sniper?

I usually build a medic at that spawn space on turn 1. I'm going to want one over there anyway.
The medic gets destroyed sometimes, but he also gets ignored more often then I would expect.

Regardless, moving the sniper a space would give you the option of moving out of range, that's a good idea.
07-14-2012, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 06:36 AM by Mad.Whack.)
P1 has a variety of moves he can perform to salvage his sniper on turn two. He can bring back two of his existing units (north runner and heavy), use either one in combination with a new scout or use the other two tactics I mentioned.

I still think its a big advantage as P1 knows for sure one of two possible moves that P2 will do to save his sniper. And if he doesn't save it it's a pretty significant blow with little chance of returning the same blow.
07-14-2012, 03:50 AM
P2 can send a Runner to see if his sniper is in danger and then choose to protect it or not.
07-14-2012, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 06:45 AM by Mad.Whack.)
(07-14-2012 03:50 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  P2 can send a Runner to see if his sniper is in danger and then choose to protect it or not.

Assuming you're grabbing your wit squares on turn 1. You're already down 2 wits, creating another runner and sending it is another 2 wits.

That leaves you 1 move to react. Not much you can do with 1 wit...

I know i should have mentionned this earlier but the only hard counter I've used as P2 is by placing my first runner in front of the sniper and if he's in trouble move the heavy up to block the choke.

But that leaves you with no spare wisps and your bottom fairly open to any skilled P1 rushing. That can be devastating if P1 commits to a bottom rush on turn 1, and even worse P2 won't have a scout down there until turn 2.

I'm gonna do some more testing but I don't think I've ever lost on this map as P1 because of what the 'free' sniper situation opens up.
07-14-2012, 06:17 AM
I stand by my statement, and like how you call Runners Wisps Smile
07-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Lol ya someone just corrected me in another thread. I thought they were called wisps and not wits. Runners I call scouts but that's from too much starcraft.
07-14-2012, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 07:44 AM by calmon.)
Hopefully they do something.

First player can do a save starting round on every map because he knoes exactly where second players units start. Second player only have risks...

Meanwhile I won nearly 40 games without losing any but I'm sure the top of the top don't act stupidly like majority of the so called master league Im still in and attack blind when going first. And than first player bonus starts deciding games.
07-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Yeah snipers need to start a few spaces back or out of one hit action. Just beat a gold league player while being down in bronze which shouldn't have been that easy...

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y_8pGDA
07-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Rankings are still in flux, don't worry about leagues too much right now