Poll: Should OML publish hidden rankings?
Yes, publicize
No, don't publicize
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Publicize hidden rankings
02-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Publicize hidden rankings
So, I think we should publish peoples actual hidden rankings, it would clear up a lot of people thinking they shouldn't have gotten demoted when they did and also allow people to see where they really are.

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2014, 12:56 AM
RE: Publicize hidden rankings
I'd kind of like to see this, but I think a lot of people would just generally be butthurt, so I'm not convinced its actually a good idea.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
02-10-2014, 01:57 AM
I voted yes.

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

02-10-2014, 07:47 AM
A part of me doesn't want to know. I am struggling as it is. However, I'm still perturbed at being demoted after a 2v2 WIN. May be knowing my hidden rating would help explain why. Perhaps a compromise would be an explanation/summary by Adam or Alex?

didgeralien
...winter is coming...
02-10-2014, 08:49 AM
I think the concept of divisional ranking separate from hidden should be removed entirely.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

02-10-2014, 09:04 AM
No they should not.

There's a reason games like starcraft/dota don't do this. It's generally very nerve-wracking to play games knowing you will immediately see the effect it has on your rating, and this leads to people playing less games.

People wanted dota to publish MMRs for so long that they finally gave in, kind of. There are now two modes you can play: ranked or unranked. In ranked games you immediately see the effect of your game on your MMR. You also still have a separate MMR for unranked games, but you cannot see this (so this is not the same as friendly games in Outwitters since that's just completely random matchmaking).

I couldn't find any actual data on this, so this is based off my own experience, but it seems to me that there are a lot more unranked games of dota being played than ranked. It generally takes me 5-9 minutes in the queue to find a ranked game, and under 3 for an unranked game.
02-10-2014, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 09:26 AM by ElPared.)
I voted no because I don't think they should be public. I would vote yes if they were visible privately, but only if you are in Masters League or higher so you'd know how close you are the the top 200 and stuff.

Even then I'd want it to be a toggle in settings that's turned off by default so you have to know to turn it on if you want to see it.

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I voted no also. It's hidden for a reason.
02-10-2014, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 10:45 AM by jchris98.)
(02-10-2014 09:04 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  No they should not.

There's a reason games like starcraft/dota don't do this. It's generally very nerve-wracking to play games knowing you will immediately see the effect it has on your rating, and this leads to people playing less games.

People wanted dota to publish MMRs for so long that they finally gave in, kind of. There are now two modes you can play: ranked or unranked. In ranked games you immediately see the effect of your game on your MMR. You also still have a separate MMR for unranked games, but you cannot see this (so this is not the same as friendly games in Outwitters since that's just completely random matchmaking).

I couldn't find any actual data on this, so this is based off my own experience, but it seems to me that there are a lot more unranked games of dota being played than ranked. It generally takes me 5-9 minutes in the queue to find a ranked game, and under 3 for an unranked game.

This argument can be disproven by looking at chess. They have public ratings and people know what they're going up against. This makes a win much more satisfying to actually see your rating increase after a win. There are several sites for chess that tree rating is published but that doesn't stop people from playing.

(02-10-2014 10:19 AM)Setorines Wrote:  I voted no also. It's hidden for a reason.

I don't even understand, you voted no because of its name???

(02-10-2014 09:26 AM)ElPared Wrote:  I voted no because I don't think they should be public. I would vote yes if they were visible privately, but only if you are in Masters League or higher so you'd know how close you are the the top 200 and stuff.

Even then I'd want it to be a toggle in settings that's turned off by default so you have to know to turn it on if you want to see it.

What if it were an IAP, that way new people are unlikely to spend money and thn quit because they see how much better some people are, it is highly unlikely for someone to spend money and then immediately quit. And if you are in clever, you most likely have a general idea that you are a long way from the top anyway.

02-10-2014, 11:16 AM
(02-10-2014 09:04 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  No they should not.

This. There's a similar phenomenon with League of Legends. I think I distinctly remember OML saying this was a reason they don't use ELO, like League does. I may be wrong.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'