Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPS (Scrambler Panic Syndrome): Are you a sufferer?
07-13-2012, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2012 04:27 PM by QuantumApocalypse.)
RE: SPS (Scrambler Panic Syndrome): Are you a sufferer?
(07-13-2012 04:24 PM)pookywb Wrote:  
(07-13-2012 03:55 PM)Demog Wrote:  Usually you can tell when an opponent has made a special unit, even if you haven't seen it yet.

How? What are the warning signs?

A short replay. Either they made a special unit or they did very little.

Also, if there is a barricade of units which might have something behind them
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2012, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2012 08:51 PM by ArtNJ.)
(07-13-2012 03:41 PM)MrUseless Wrote:  Art, I don't suppose you have a replay of any of those you could post?

I have two scrambler wins posted in the replays thread (page 8 if I recall right).
07-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Awesome, I'll check it out.
07-14-2012, 01:12 AM
It is hard to attack with a scrambler without leaving it exposed. They have to jump towards your units to attack them. More times than not, this leaves them open to a counter attack. The scrambler is too expensive a piece to lose lightly.

Lots of cheap units should counter a scrambler. They can only take over 1 at a time.

Whatever you do, don't jump a heavy towards their base without knowing what's there. But that's a good rule of thumb anytime.

The bombshell can just sit there and launch rounds off from safety. If you are talking area of control, I would lean towards the bombshell. The scrambler is more fun to use though!
07-14-2012, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 02:03 AM by ArtNJ.)
(07-14-2012 01:12 AM)Sakiehl Wrote:  It is hard to attack with a scrambler without leaving it exposed. They have to jump towards your units to attack them. More times than not, this leaves them open to a counter attack. The scrambler is too expensive a piece to lose lightly.

Lots of cheap units should counter a scrambler. They can only take over 1 at a time.

Whatever you do, don't jump a heavy towards their base without knowing what's there. But that's a good rule of thumb anytime.

The bombshell can just sit there and launch rounds off from safety. If you are talking area of control, I would lean towards the bombshell. The scrambler is more fun to use though!

I think your comments have truth to them on many maps, but what you say really doesnt hold true on Sharkfood, if the middle is held. The map is so small that from the middle, the attacker's forces can launch to either side, dominating the defenders on that side. Moreover "lots of cheap units" isnt an option, because there is only one spawn point. If allowed to set up, a scrambler attack in this type of situation is almost certainly going to be decisive.

Here are two games:

Scrambler 1

Scrambler 2

Put another way, on Sharkfood, the Scrambler beats passive defense. So...dont defend passively.
07-14-2012, 02:19 AM
(07-14-2012 01:59 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  
(07-14-2012 01:12 AM)Sakiehl Wrote:  It is hard to attack with a scrambler without leaving it exposed. They have to jump towards your units to attack them. More times than not, this leaves them open to a counter attack. The scrambler is too expensive a piece to lose lightly.

I think your comments have truth to them on many maps, but what you say really doesnt hold true on Sharkfood, if the middle is held. The map is so small that from the middle, the attacker's forces can launch to either side, dominating the defenders on that side. Moreover "lots of cheap units" isnt an option, because there is only one spawn point. If allowed to set up, a scrambler attack in this type of situation is almost certainly going to be decisive.

Here are two games:

Scrambler 1

Scrambler 2

Put another way, on Sharkfood, the Scrambler beats passive defense. So...dont defend passively.

I agree with that. I don't usually build special units on Sharkfood because it moves so fast. It's hard to save up enough wits without giving up any ground.

The SF strategy you're suggesting seems strong though, I'll probably give it a try.