Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature idea: Base damage
01-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Feature idea: Base damage
Short version: I think players should get 1 additional wit per turn for each point of damage their base has taken. Maybe this could be part of Outwitters 2 or something.

I remember someone saying that wits should be derived from a base's HP. You always get 5 wits and your base starts with 5 HP, so it makes sense. However I think getting fewer wits per turn just for taking damage would encourage rushing too much which would give maps like Reaper an even bigger FTA.

However, with this change players would be discouraged from attacking a base unless they can win that same turn, and would punish attacking players for poorly executed attacks.

Just a thought really, but I think it would make for some fun gameplay

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: Feature idea: Base damage
I don't like this idea at all really. Because if an attack on a base fails and you do damage to the base, the defending player most likely have a unit or wit advantage.

[Image: sig.png]
01-06-2014, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 01:18 AM by Thrutchy.)
I don't think this is a good idea. In most circumstances, an early base attack is detrimental to the attacker (wits and units) and this idea would make this even more the case. In high-level play, an effective early partial base attack would become almost never instead of just rare.

I've suggested this before, but I think the opposite would be beneficial to the game: return wits to the attacker for each base attack. This mirrors wit-for-kill. This would give an incentive to attack a base early.
01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
If this were implemented I would willingly let my opponent attack my base if I knew they couldn't finish it..

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
01-06-2014, 03:26 PM
It's called a catchup mechanism in board games. Designed to keep players in the game, and avoid runaway victories. In the case of Outwitters, I don't think it's needed. It would add a layer of complexity that isn't needed, and completely change the tactics and strategy of gameplay.

Live your life as more than plastic.
01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
We'd have to use another while to get used to it after that "one wit per kill" fiasco. Good thing I am an S2 player and never got with the original gameplay, before the OWPK.

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
01-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Hitting the base already gives a disadvantage to the one doing it, so with this.. Nah I'm not a fan of the idea ^^

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

01-10-2014, 04:46 AM
Meh, I think it would mitigate FTA to a degree, and it would reward good defense and strategy. It would also discourage players from trying a "chipping" strategy with runners or BS splash that tend to be bad ideas anyway.

This idea mostly came from people who attack for 1 on turn 3 and I have a base at 4 HP the rest of the game. Sure my opponent is down a unit and 2-3 wits, but that's not a enough of a disadvantage IMO considering now I can be finished off by 2 soldiers.

Also I think in 90% of games it wouldn't come into play at all

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
01-10-2014, 05:30 AM
(01-10-2014 04:46 AM)ElPared Wrote:  Meh, I think it would mitigate FTA to a degree, and it would reward good defense and strategy. It would also discourage players from trying a "chipping" strategy with runners or BS splash that tend to be bad ideas anyway.

This idea mostly came from people who attack for 1 on turn 3 and I have a base at 4 HP the rest of the game. Sure my opponent is down a unit and 2-3 wits, but that's not a enough of a disadvantage IMO considering now I can be finished off by 2 soldiers.

Also I think in 90% of games it wouldn't come into play at all

That's absolutely enough. Two soldiers hitting your base means that your opponent destroyed your army. You can't have two soldiers sneaking through your base and hitting it without you being able to do anything. As for runner rush, it doesn't exist anymore because it can't work. And having a BS close to your opponent's base means you already won.

You gain a real advantage when your opponent hits your base. And putting your opponent's base's health to 4 is useless, for the reasons I said above!

So yeah, this change can't work, it would make it unbalanced. Smile

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

01-10-2014, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 08:25 AM by TheGreatErenan.)
Seriously, 1 extra wit per turn for every point of damage your base has taken is essentially an automatic win in any situation where your opponent hits your base but doesn't manage to finish it off. If you get more wits than your opponent each turn, then each turn that passes you automatically gain an advantage over your opponent without having to do anything. This would not just allow for comebacks, it would basically guarantee that you can steamroll over your opponent just so long as you turtle long enough.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user