Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Demoted for winning a game?
04-19-2013, 08:05 AM
RE: Demoted for winning a game?
(04-19-2013 07:39 AM)baopu Wrote:  I finished last season ranked 10 in Gifted. I just played my first and only placement match of the new season. Even though it said it was the 1st of 5, after the one and only game I was ranked... 40 in Gifted. I beat my opponent, who was ranked 30 in Gifted, in 6 turns. How the hell am I 40 now?

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yh720Aww

Because you don't keep your points through the seasons.

Gifted! Gifted League

GCID -joejohn22-
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2013, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 10:58 AM by Szei.)
(04-09-2013 02:48 PM)advakharia95 Wrote:  And I just got promoted back to Masters after I lost a game...
I don't think I'll ever understand.

You're probably thinking of the system like this.

Worst person in Super-Titan hidden rating: 700
Best person in Master hidden rating: 699

Your hidden rating was 701, you won a game and went to 705 but got demoted. What's going on?! If you were already at 690 and then won and went to 695, why weren't you Master before?

Right? This is probably how you think the system works and that there is some kind of bug. This is a reasonable assumption, but as awpertunity said, there is more to the system. The following is simplified and there is more to it, but here is the basic idea of how the system actually works.

Instead of all Super-Titans being better than all Masters, there is actually some overlap. This is to prevent people on the borderline from being demoted and promoted over and over every one or two games from crossing the border. Instead, you can dip beneath some Master players as a Super-Titan but stay a Super-Titan. You have some leeway to recover. Let's say that you can be in the Masters range for 5 games before you are finally demoted out of Super-Titan unless you can get back above a certain point. Then, if you dip too far down into Master, even if you win your 5th game, you'll still be demoted to Master. Your time has run out without you getting back to the requisite hidden-rating to stay in Super-Titan. This is how you can get demoted after a win. The same is true for being promoted after a loss.
(04-19-2013 07:39 AM)baopu Wrote:  I finished last season ranked 10 in Gifted. I just played my first and only placement match of the new season. Even though it said it was the 1st of 5, after the one and only game I was ranked... 40 in Gifted. I beat my opponent, who was ranked 30 in Gifted, in 6 turns. How the hell am I 40 now?

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yh720Aww

Points and division rank don't mean anything as far as skill goes. It is more based on activity. I disagree with this system as it is confusing for many people (your post is a perfect example of why I don't like the current point system, it was misleading for you). Also, how you win your game (how fast, how many units you killed, how much life your base had, etc) doesn't impact how much your hidden-rating or points change. The only thing that matters for hidden-rating change is your opponent's hidden-rating.
01-03-2014, 09:50 PM
My opponent resigned the game I think he was gifted while my alt account had been promoted to master as the new season started.. And after he resigned the game I got demoted Sad Sad Sad maybe it's still placement but that feeling of demotion is just not forgiving !

So the hidden rating of opponent decreased could caused my demotion even if I won the few straight games??
Alex??
01-05-2014, 02:06 AM
http://www.onemanleft.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2884

This should help

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]