Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adding a Quick game mode
12-31-2013, 05:44 AM
RE: Adding a Quick game mode
realtime game mode, single player campaign, a few new races, no free to play, maybe one new map mechanic: sounds like the best turn based strategy game of 2015!

Soldier spam FTW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2013, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2013 08:15 AM by boyxoneder.)
This game mode should be the default mode instead of asynch. Fix it fast Adam and Alex give me a reason to play everyday playing stale games over months I would much rather play an entire game at once it is much more enjoyable

I would love to not only see it in the next outwitters but the current one please please please
12-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Would probably require months of work...

Soldier spam FTW
12-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Doubtful
12-31-2013, 05:15 PM
(12-31-2013 03:00 PM)boyxoneder Wrote:  Doubtful

What?

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
12-31-2013, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 07:00 PM by Juslas.)
Now a days I play 2v2 only, slow, it took a year for 64 team tournament to reach final (double knockout semifinals). Final will take about 2 months, couple months to wait losers bracket to reach the real final hopefully by next Eastern. Could take longer. As much I enjoy this take a turn now and then I really missed faster pace when I was a newbie!

Outwitters LIVE could be a separate app. This has been discussed on Outwitters monetarizing trouble threads. Server cost would be much higher for LIVE matches. If OML just kept the single player campaing with old teams and maps, the hardest part of game design ready, porting to LIVE game could be outsourced. This would open up html5 possibility, too. Making LIVE version playable on all devices.
To make money there has to be weekly or monthly fee. To cover server costs and to make some money. Pay once model most likely wouldn't do it.
01-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Bumpitup
01-04-2014, 05:54 PM
(12-31-2013 03:00 PM)boyxoneder Wrote:  Doubtful

Outwitters' backend and front end were written in such a way that async was the standard mode of operation. Even then, the infrastructure it's running on actually won't handle real time updates reliably without some major changes to the underlying data structures, which unfortunately would ripple changed across all of our backend in how we query and store things ( basically porting to a new data store API). I've looked into it, hoping for an easy answer but there just isn't one that wouldn't require some significant effort. It's something I keep my eye on constantly when new updates are rolled out to GAE.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
01-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Okay :/

But wouldn't those signifcant efforts be worthwile? The number of new players thanks to that mode would be so big.. ^^

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
01-05-2014, 04:56 PM
(01-04-2014 10:56 PM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Okay :/

But wouldn't those signifcant efforts be worthwile? The number of new players thanks to that mode would be so big.. ^^

Any effort to improve the game would be worthwhile from a design and creative standpoint. Sometimes those don't align with business reality. A lot of times they're only realized in a sequel or follow up game.

As for quick game mode:

One of the major reasons outwitters was asynchronous was to increase the user base. Not the other way around. I'm pretty confident that outwitters would be a shell of its former self if it was purely a real time game. And adding a real time aspect, while cool and desirable, wouldn't give a huge boost to player numbers honestly.

Just on the basis of availability:
- In asynchronous, your "availability" pool of players is the vast majority of anyone playing the game at your skill level.
- In real time, your pool is now: the cross section of users who happen to be in matchmaking at that very brief moment in time AND your skill level. And since timezones are now relevant you'd play less of a global audience. This is a tiny percentage of the overall userbase, and unless you have a massive userbase, your online community shrinks extremely rapidly.

There are multitude of other reasons why a separate quick play mode wouldn't be as popular as most hope. Sorry if that sounds all pessimistic. But in the bright side....

...if there was a real time component added it wouldn't be a separate mode. It's be integrated seamlessly into the normal experience. It wouldn't enforce the quick 1 minute rule that most want, but real time play for those that wanted it would be convenient and far easier to play with by just sitting inside a single game and watching things update and seeing "who is in this game with you".

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan