Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rating question
12-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Rating question
I don't know how rating is calculated but I was curious of the following:

Will the outcome of my rating be affected by (a) the order in which the games finish or (b) when the games started.

I want to know, to maximize points won/lost especially when playing losing games vs if I win 5-10 games after a game that looks like I will lose
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: Rating question
If you lose a game after you won another, then you will lose the trade, because your hidden rating skill will decrease even more. Say your win was worth 5 points, then your loss will be worth -7 points. Whereas if you had lost before, it would be the reverse. Smile

The time when the game started doesn't affect the rating at all.

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
12-28-2013, 11:31 PM
The only thing the time you started the game may effect is the strength of your opponent. For example, if I am rank 200 on the top 200 and am playing guys at that level but then lose 5 in a row, my level will drop. I will then be playing lower secret rank guys. But if I finish a win against a top 200 guy it would now be worth more to my secret rank since he is much higher than me now. At least that's what I think.

[Image: sig.png]
12-29-2013, 12:52 AM
In other threads, i read that the hidden rating system is based on the ELO system used in chess. Points gained or lost will depend on the difference of the current (weekly?) hidden ratings between the players, not the order in which the games are started/finished. Thus, if you won 5 and lost 5 against a player rated 100 points higher, you will gain points because you exceeded the winning probability corresponding to the rating difference.

Hope adam or alex would publish the hidden ratings already to put to rest questions on ratings. Big Grin
12-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Exactly, so waiting out games where I will probably lose is a bad gamble, rating wise. I was really hoping to hear that rating was calculated based on starting rating positions and not post. So despite the fact I win 30 or lose 30 in a row should not affects the points won/lost from a game that Tonkin forever to play out
01-02-2014, 03:59 PM
It is not perfect system and seems to encourage slow play. I can not recall purposely slow playing a game because it would benefit my rating. I don't want to accuse others of doing that but it shoud not take 3+ days to make every move.