Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stalemate Affect on Ranking?
07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
RE: Stalemate Affect on Ranking?
(07-12-2012 10:25 PM)QuantumApocalypse Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 04:50 PM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  The only way, I can imagine a true stalemate is if both players block each others Spawn Space and the only units on the field are two medics, one for each team. This cannot be resolved and does not end the game. Everything else might seem like a stalemate, but there is always a way to win or lose.

If that, the first medic onto a spawn would win Wink

Ah, clever observation. What I meant to say was this: The only way, I can imagine a true stalemate is if both players block each others Spawn Space with a unit and the only other units on the field are two medics, one for each team. Neither player will want to leave the others Spawn Space and neither can destroy the others unit. The Medics can then go on to play hide and seek.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 10:53 PM
(07-12-2012 10:44 PM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 10:25 PM)QuantumApocalypse Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 04:50 PM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  The only way, I can imagine a true stalemate is if both players block each others Spawn Space and the only units on the field are two medics, one for each team. This cannot be resolved and does not end the game. Everything else might seem like a stalemate, but there is always a way to win or lose.

If that, the first medic onto a spawn would win Wink

Ah, clever observation. What I meant to say was this: The only way, I can imagine a true stalemate is if both players block each others Spawn Space with a unit and the only other units on the field are two medics, one for each team. Neither player will want to leave the others Spawn Space and neither can destroy the others unit. The Medics can then go on to play hide and seek.

Umm the first medic onto a spawn would still win (assuming the unit on the spawn is an attacker). For example you could have a soldier on his spawn and your medic is nearby. On your turn, move soldier away, put medic on instead. Use soldier to kill opponent, match over.
Find all posts by this user
07-12-2012, 11:08 PM
In Kamikaze28's scenario, you don't even need the medics around. Just a soldier each left, blocking the other spawn, will induce a stalemate.
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Okay, instead of refining our hypothetical scenarios, I'd like to cut to the inevitable conclusion of these thought experiments: True and unresolvable* stalemates are highly unlikely in competitive games.

*: Of course, every possible stalemate in Outwitters can be resolved by one party forfeiting.

Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
07-13-2012, 03:12 AM
Quote:In Kamikaze28's scenario, you don't even need the medics around. Just a soldier each left, blocking the other spawn, will induce a stalemate.

None of these scenario's are stalemates. If both spawn points are blocked, the next move would have to be one player moving off the spawn point. I guess you might end up with 2 stubborn players who refuse to move, but that's true of any scenario.

A stalemate would be if one player can not make any legal moves, then the game would result in a tie. I don't think that's possible in outwitters.
07-13-2012, 03:14 AM
(07-13-2012 03:12 AM)Sakiehl Wrote:  
Quote:In Kamikaze28's scenario, you don't even need the medics around. Just a soldier each left, blocking the other spawn, will induce a stalemate.

None of these scenario's are stalemates. If both spawn points are blocked, the next move would have to be one player moving off the spawn point. I guess you might end up with 2 stubborn players who refuse to move, but that's true of any scenario.

A stalemate would be if one player can not make any legal moves, then the game would result in a tie. I don't think that's possible in outwitters.

Fill the entire board with Medics -> no more legal moves possible.
q.e.d.

07-13-2012, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2012 03:34 AM by Harti.)
(07-13-2012 03:14 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  Fill the entire board with Medics -> no more legal moves possible.
q.e.d.

seems legit

I once tried to talk OML into implementing a draw button that would appear once the game exceeded 60 turns or whatever. In retrospect, I don't think that this would be a good choice, they should rather stick with the chess idea - if the game only gets passed on for 6 turns in total it should end in a draw.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-13-2012, 05:04 AM
(07-13-2012 03:14 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  

q.e.d.

Haha, awesome. I stand corrected.

An "Offer a draw" button isn't a bad idea. That would give the "I'm going on vacation for a week" people at least the ability to ask.
07-13-2012, 05:11 AM
(07-13-2012 05:04 AM)Sakiehl Wrote:  
(07-13-2012 03:14 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  

q.e.d.

Haha, awesome. I stand corrected.

An "Offer a draw" button isn't a bad idea. That would give the "I'm going on vacation for a week" people at least the ability to ask.

...or a draw button in game, and a vacation button in the settings? You get added one vacation day every week. The most vacation days you can build up is 7. Whenever you o on vacation, you turn the vacation switch on and it starts to count down your days! Once the vacation timer is up, it Resumes the normal timer of 4 days. So in a way, you get an 11 day (week and half approximately) vacation!
07-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Not to be picky, but this couldn't truly happen....something had to kill a players last piece to leave that player with only a medic. Therefore, the player doing the killing has to have something besides just a medic.

Even if you tried, you couldn't have just two medics on the board. Every map has killers, and medics can't kill killers, so a killer will always be on the board. Unless a bombshell artillery does splash damage on itself, but I don't think it does?