Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Economy, Supply Cap, Turtling, and Predictabiliy
11-20-2013, 03:02 PM
RE: Economy, Supply Cap, Turtling, and Predictabiliy
(11-15-2013 12:28 PM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  They should be called levels to avoid confusion because the tiers are the five skill levels- The Five Tiers o' Skill
Excuse my ignorance, but I've no idea what the above refers to. I'm mostly lurking and learning, but this term escaped my notice. If you could be so kind and explain, or direct me where to go...Huh

Even if it's to go jump in a lake!

didgeralien
[Image: sig.png]
...winter is coming...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2013, 03:04 PM
[Image: c9VbUAt.png]

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
11-20-2013, 03:09 PM
OMG I AM A FOOL!!! Blush

didgeralien
...winter is coming...
11-20-2013, 04:39 PM
(11-16-2013 09:49 PM)brayton Wrote:  Also, does there need to be only 1 currancy in outwitters? Why not have a secondary, less substancial currancy(such as 'kills')? Outwitters obviously doesnt need research but...
unit upgrades bought with 'kills'?

For 3 Kills you can upgrade that soldier to do one extra damage or move one further. 12 Kills for Bombshell upgrade? (Assuming BS is still around) I like the idea of the 'Kills' required to buy an upgrade is "Unit cost x 1.4(Sqr Root of 2)".

Who says we cant have any new units?
Ranged unit that deals 2 damage 2 Hexs away, with 2 health and 2 HP? Yes please!

A 2nd currency is a great idea. I envision an account of KILS which is an accumulation of the 1 wit receved from a kill that can be used to perform an action from a 2nd category. This would/wouldn't be optional. If so, a bubble [Bank YES/NO].
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Possible uses:
Heal base - a large cost vs small gain. (ex: 10 KILS = 1 BASE or simply 10% gain) + cap on # of hps/turn. At no point could base be greater than 5.
Split base - 2 bases each able to be assigned hps totalling 5, and placed on special new hexes. "FORTS"
Extra actions a la' brayton:
Increase in damage
Increase in reach
Suicide bomber: send scout into FoW get a look & die. Prevents KILS point collection by adjacent enemy. Only available to runners.
Dig a pit
Plant a tree
Build a wall
Move-do-over (reset unit to original position, and then only action is move) A kind of alt version of mobi teleport. Just a very general thought, poorly written.

I'm sure there are other less insane ideas, but a guy can dream...

didgeralien
...winter is coming...
11-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Some interesting new ideas in this thread! If OML ever goes for Outwitters 2 I really hope they share how the plan to change the game mechanics.

Increasing the wit income and the wit cost of units would simplify game balancing, so I think that would be a good move. For actually changing game mechanics it is easy to add more rules without actually improving gameplay. Right now it feels so clean, simple, and complex at the same time. Obviously any changes would be beta tested but I think there could be a lot of unintended consequences.

Regarding turtling and soldier walls, maybe this could be done:
* Rework Bombshell to make it more an attacking than a defending unit.
* Increase cost of heavy and increase movement to 3. This would make it a counter to pure soldier walls and the movement boost would allow it as an attacking unit.

Soldier spam FTW
11-21-2013, 02:50 AM
(11-21-2013 02:28 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  Some interesting new ideas in this thread! If OML ever goes for Outwitters 2 I really hope they share how the plan to change the game mechanics.

Increasing the wit income and the wit cost of units would simplify game balancing, so I think that would be a good move. For actually changing game mechanics it is easy to add more rules without actually improving gameplay. Right now it feels so clean, simple, and complex at the same time. Obviously any changes would be beta tested but I think there could be a lot of unintended consequences.

* Increase cost of heavy and increase movement to 3. This would make it a counter to pure soldier walls and the movement boost would allow it as an attacking unit.

Since soldiers are generally at 4hp, I don't think this update would make the heavy more popular against soldiers wall. Smile

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

11-21-2013, 03:15 AM
(11-21-2013 02:50 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  
(11-21-2013 02:28 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  Some interesting new ideas in this thread! If OML ever goes for Outwitters 2 I really hope they share how the plan to change the game mechanics.

Since soldiers are generally at 4hp, I don't think this update would make the heavy more popular against soldiers wall. Smile

You would need 3 soldiers to kill one heavy, just think of shark food how bad shape you are in if you don't kill opponents boosted heavy with your heavy

Soldier spam FTW
11-21-2013, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2013 03:33 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
Oh sure if we see the defensive aspect of the heavy then it would be a nice buff! But making it an offensive one would be even better imo Smile

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

11-21-2013, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2013 09:09 AM by game_taker.)
(11-21-2013 06:04 AM)Gf!sh Wrote:  
(11-21-2013 05:47 AM)game_taker Wrote:  
(11-21-2013 03:15 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  Some interesting new ideas in this thread! If OML ever goes for Outwitters 2 I really hope they share how the plan to change the game mechanics.

Alvendor's point is something worth emphasising. The rules contained in Outwitters are few and very simple, yet somehow this simplicity yields a lot in game complexity on determining optimal moves. This is without a doubt my very part in regads to Outwitters.

So far some of the other ideas given by CombatEX and brayton would add complexity into the game rules which would ruin the brilliant simplicity that Outwitters currently has.
11-21-2013, 06:04 AM
(11-21-2013 05:47 AM)game_taker Wrote:  
(11-21-2013 03:15 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  Some interesting new ideas in this thread! If OML ever goes for Outwitters 2 I really hope they share how the plan to change the game mechanics.

Alvendor's point is something worth emphasising. The rules contained in Outwitters are few and very simple, yet somehow this simplicity yields a lot in game complexity on determining optimal moves. This is without a doubt my very part in regads to Outwitters.

So far some of the other ideas given by CombatEX and brayton would add complexity into the game rules which would ruin the brilliant simplicity that Outwitters currently has.