Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Soon To Be Elite Tournament - Season 1 - Discussion Thread
10-30-2013, 08:11 AM
RE: The Soon To Be Elite Tournament - Season 1 - Discussion Thread
(10-29-2013 10:42 PM)HuskyPete Wrote:  Round 3: Long Nine- lost
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAoPf1lwgM
So looking for some feedback please. I think I was doing ok until turn 16. When I had 2 wits, I thought to retreat my 2 soldiers to protect my sniper. I honestly don't know why, but instead I did that useless attack. I think I did ok after that too. I thought anticipating the soldier coming down on turn 27 and bringing my heavy out was a good idea. I think I just had already lost on turn 16. Thoughts? Any idea how I might have fared if I retreated my 2 soldiers there? Thanks for any advice.

No, you were right to continue attacking rather than half attack half retreat. But you could have killed the soldier and sniper rather than kill the soldier and do 2 damage to another soldier.

Even better though, from the start of the turn, you should have just hit the bottom 3 hp soldier with your 4 hp soldier and killed it with a new runner, then hit the heavy with your sniper and the runner there. Then you could have killed the sniper and the other 4 hp soldier too. Your heavy should have killed the bottom runner since it is too far from the battle to do anything anyway.

When they spawn an early mobi like that it's good to do an all-in attack like you did since they are generally lower on units/wits and it makes the mobi almost useless. I think something that would've helped a lot is in turn 12 when you spawned the sniper you should have moved it left/up instead of down since you were planning to attack. This boosted sniper became useless in the main attack and was a waste of 5 wits which only gave you a 3 wit advantage against his mobi instead of the 8 you should have had (for spawning and moving the mobi to where it is).

Turn 22 you should not have attacked top, he had the unit advantage now and all his units were top too. Since he has the mobi and lots of runners you should have boosted your runner on turn 20, then you could have killed the 2 runners bottom on turn 22 and taken the witspace where he has nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2013, 08:15 AM
(10-30-2013 07:47 AM)Doodat Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 07:46 AM).Memories. Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 07:44 AM)Doodat Wrote:  I don't see any way to win. Curious he didn't kill your soldier with a heavy turn 6

Not necessarily looking for a winning move, maybe just something better.

Your move was good. Reaction, not so good from Wildtalon. I mean, your sniper could have died that turn and you would have been in a much worse position. Perhaps putting your sniper on your wit space would have been better.

Yeah - I put it there to be in an attacking position, and I knew if he spawned a solider there I could kill it next turn and still be in an advanced position. Thanks for the input Smile

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
10-30-2013, 08:21 AM
(10-30-2013 08:11 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAoPf1lwgM
So looking for some feedback please. I think I was doing ok until turn 16. When I had 2 wits, I thought to retreat my 2 soldiers to protect my sniper. I honestly don't know why, but instead I did that useless attack. I think I did ok after that too. I thought anticipating the soldier coming down on turn 27 and bringing my heavy out was a good idea. I think I just had already lost on turn 16. Thoughts? Any idea how I might have fared if I retreated my 2 soldiers there? Thanks for any advice.

No, you were right to continue attacking rather than half attack half retreat. But you could have killed the soldier and sniper rather than kill the soldier and do 2 damage to another soldier.

Even better though, from the start of the turn, you should have just hit the bottom 3 hp soldier with your 4 hp soldier and killed it with a new runner, then hit the heavy with your sniper and the runner there. Then you could have killed the sniper and the other 4 hp soldier too. Your heavy should have killed the bottom runner since it is too far from the battle to do anything anyway.

When they spawn an early mobi like that it's good to do an all-in attack like you did since they are generally lower on units/wits and it makes the mobi almost useless. I think something that would've helped a lot is in turn 12 when you spawned the sniper you should have moved it left/up instead of down since you were planning to attack. This boosted sniper became useless in the main attack and was a waste of 5 wits which only gave you a 3 wit advantage against his mobi instead of the 8 you should have had (for spawning and moving the mobi to where it is).

Turn 22 you should not have attacked top, he had the unit advantage now and all his units were top too. Since he has the mobi and lots of runners you should have boosted your runner on turn 20, then you could have killed the 2 runners bottom on turn 22 and taken the witspace where he has nothing.

He would have to have had at least 8 wits to kill the sniper for your second suggestion.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
10-30-2013, 08:44 AM
(10-30-2013 08:21 AM)Doodat Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 08:11 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  

He would have to have had at least 8 wits to kill the sniper for your second suggestion.

Oh, you're right I didn't count wits. He still could have killed the 4 hp soldier, 3hp soldier, sniper, and both runners in 6 though.
10-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Thank you so much for the advice. I did have 7 wits, but I see doodat's play would have been nice. And the sniper move on 12 too. Great. Thank you so much.
10-30-2013, 01:33 PM
I posted my first commentary. Feel free to add!

2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
(10-30-2013 01:33 PM)Doodat Wrote:  I posted my first commentary. Feel free to add!

I had no idea Doodat was AllIDooisrush.

It's really fun/interesting, at least for me, to read the commentary for both sides. Also, it's awesome to get a 41 turn match done in just a couple of hours, so thanks for that.

GC name: amoffett11
1v1 Super-Titan
2v2 with .Memories. and 2v2 random Master League

Until you stalk and overrun you can't devour anyone
10-30-2013, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 02:07 PM by [PETA] Doodat.)
In reaction to amoffett's commentary, I messed up and should have had enough wits to double tap turn 6. Also, I was pressuring bottom, but my resources were spread thin because even though you gave up a mobi and a unit to attack the base, I didn't really have the wits to push through and launch an all out attack. With that being said, I did tunnel-vision to bottom side, afraid of it on many occasions, which proved to be my downfall (as well as the really bad mistake)

And yeah, it was really tense waiting for the turn xD

As for missing the hp change, I wasn't paying enough attention. To be honest, I was on edge and my eyes thought there was a subtle change, but even with the 5 minute turns, I didn't notice. I was too focused on thinking that you used all your wits in your mobi and I thought I could split you up and win in the next turn.

2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
10-30-2013, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 11:46 PM by infinitepure.)
Well, tournament got restarted so looks like an all new post!

Round 1: Foundry - Vazke~ vs infinitepure

Round 2: Reaper -infinitepure vs AlliDooisRush [LOSS]

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAoLvcmAsM

Commentary soon.

Round 3: Long Nine - TheGoldenGriffin vs infinitepure [STARTED]

Round 4: Thorn Gulley - infinitepure vs Amoffett11 [STARTED]

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA4M3qjwgM

Commentary soon.

Round 5: Peekaboo - infinitepure vs Jamay235 [STARTED]

Round 6: Sweetie Plains - BrandoCommando13 vs infinitepure

Round 7: Foundry - Bye

Round 8: Sharkfood Island - Izzila vs infinitepure [WIN]

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAkJDh4QgM

Izzila begins with a runner opening but decides not to heal anything on the turn. I start with a standard soldier opening. On turn 6, izzila moves a runner in position to spawn block while I move my units in an offensive position. Izzila spawn blocks the next turn and spawns a scrambler in preparation for my potential upcoming attack. I feel I had two choices here, either clear my spawn or go all in, and I chose the latter cause I figured if he spawned two runners perhaps I would be able to overrun him. I'd like some advice if possible because I'm not sure this was the best move to make (:

Izzila scrambles my heavy in defense, while killing a soldier also and spawning a new one. I felt that I was kinda forced to kill his scrambler, while killing the heavy I felt was also in the best interest of that turn. I moved a soldier next to base and attacked, while moving another soldier on the wit space and another next to base in the hopes that he'd be unable to kill more than 1 soldier and i could finish the game by hitting base, moving out and hitting again. It turns out that worked! Not sure if izzila could have made different moves to defend and I feel my attack may have been risky considering the spawn block but it was still a fun game for me (: Any advice that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Round 9: Glitch - T- 1000 vs infinitepure

[Image: sig.png]
10-31-2013, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 01:56 AM by [PETA] Doodat.)
Infinitepure:
You played well, however, when you spawn a mobi, there is always the risk that if your opponent has been massing units top, he can attack quickly and overwhelm you in wits and units. My long 9 game is a good example of this happening. Your attack itself was all very nice, your opponents reaction, however, wasn't so good. For the most part, you made wit-efficient moves while your opponent didn't, so you won.

-DuMonster-:
You played well. However, your movement with your runner had much to be desired. I suggest that placing your runner between the 2 hexes you moved in turns 1 and 3 is a good opening placement for the runner. In addition, boosting the runner may not have been the best choice in both situations.
Your opponent surrendered because he was in a pretty bad position after the sniper spawn. He probably should have stuck to a soldier, or he could have killed both soldiers, and since he didn't, he probably would have lost in a few turns if you played it right.

Also, DuMonster, you have already reserved a post above, you can just edit that post.

2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7