Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Tilt to Live 2 Early Bird Tournament [Winner: sky1988611]
10-30-2013, 04:06 AM
RE: Tilt to Live 2 Early Bird Tournament
New thoughts on the topic of Gf!sh's proposed scoring mechanic:
1. The rounding-error based *wobbling* can be circumvented by only rounding up or down. I'd vote for rounding up for psychological reasons and because it's an arbitrary choice anyway. So in the previous example, we'd have ceil(4,666,669/5,000,000*100) = 94. I'd still go with 500 points per discipline for a maximum of 1,000 which will draw the scores out a bit more and allow for a higher granularity and lower chance for ties.
2. With Alex hinting at promoting the Tournament for release I was thinking about how both systems scale with the number of participants. The current point system will at most allow 30 people to have any points at all and while that is plenty we did pretty much max that number out the last time (it was 50 and all discipline-leaderboards had 15 or more scores in them, leaving several people with 0 points). Seeing as the hype for Tilt to Live 2 will be greater and this is release I expect a bigger number of participants, which leads to Gf!sh's system.
Here, the number of people with points has no upper bound, everyone will get some points based on their scores which is far more motivating than seeing some pretty high score as the lowest bar for getting any ranking points at all.

I will brood about this for a few more days but without any counter-arguments (either from me or from you) I'd go ahead and change the scoring to Gf!ish's proposal.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2013, 12:31 AM
I have now changed the scoring system to Gf!sh's proposal with my own changes. Until the tournament starts in earnest I have added some dummy example scores to show you how it will look and work.
I have also added the list of participants (which I am hoping grows substantially in the coming days).

Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
11-02-2013, 01:11 AM
I really like the new scoring mechanics, well done!

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Sorry for Beeing an idiot but can someone explain to me how the score system work

Defeat Is Not An Option

GC:dakdak97 Master League
11-02-2013, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013 06:54 PM by Mag!cGuy.)
After some days, there will be a ranking. Then you come up with a good score, but surely not the best. So the system will divide your score by the current best score of the tourney (so it will always be under 1) and multiply it by 500. If you are the best, you will have 500 points, because best score/best score = 1 Smile

And then the early bird score is an addition of the classic mode's and code red's ones.

Have I been clear enough?

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
(11-02-2013 06:40 PM)the duck Wrote:  Sorry for Beeing an idiot but can someone explain to me how the score system work

Or to put it in other words, if you score half of the best score in a discipline you get half of 500 points (=250) for that discipline. If you score 90% of the best score, you get 90% of 500 points (=450) for that discipline. Same goes for every possible fraction in between. You will however always get at least 1 point no matter how badly you score because the system rounds up to the nearest integer.
Add the points for Classic Mode and Code Red together and that's your overall score. So if you hold the best score in both disciplines you will have 1,000 points and most likely the #1 Rank.

11-03-2013, 12:54 AM
wait this is unfair to those who can't get the beta version

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

11-03-2013, 01:37 AM
(11-03-2013 12:54 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  wait this is unfair to those who can't get the beta version

While this is a valid concern I would like to offer the following counter-arguments:

Time advantage
While it is true that beta testers had more time with the game than non-beta testers this advantage will diminish over the course of the tournament. The gameplay is similar to Tilt to Live (1) so if you played that, then there is not even a huge learning curve for you to climb. Sure, there are new Weapons and the scoring works differently so you will have to adapt your strategy but after a week or so I believe that further improvements to your score will come from better execution rather than gaining deeper knowledge.

Scores from the Beta
Scores on Game Center are always attached to the date they were achieved, so I can easily identify those and exclude them. I would therefore encourage all participants who are currently in the beta to delete the beta before downloading the release version, thereby resetting all progress (see below) and wiping all previously stored highscores which might be re-submitted to the live Game Center.

Progress advantage
There is a level system in Tilt to Live 2 to which 4 of the total 8 weapons are tied for unlocking. I would argue that unlocking these 4 weapons comes as part of an "extended tutorial" where you are familiarized with the new gameplay mechanics like tricks and the dot value. In other words, you will probably unlock these weapons while you familiarize yourself with the game.

So what?
There is no prize to win here, we are just doing this for fun and to channel the excitement of finally having the long-awaited successor to Tilt to Live in our hands.

Lack of alternatives
One way to prevent any advantage from beta testers would be to have no beta test. This sucks and would only be possible with a time machine.
A more realistic idea might be to exclude any beta tester from this tournament. This is not very fun and also not enforceable since anyone can just create a new Apple ID (and thus Game Center account) and participate anyway.
A sort of middle ground solution would be to erase any experience gained during the beta from the minds of all beta testers. While this presents many logistical, ethical, medical and technological problems the most convincing point (at least to me) is that this plan is just insane.

11-04-2013, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 11:46 AM by Flarp55.)
(11-03-2013 01:37 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  
(11-03-2013 12:54 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  wait this is unfair to those who can't get the beta version
A sort of middle ground solution would be to erase any experience gained during the beta from the minds of all beta testers. While this presents many logistical, ethical, medical and technological problems the most convincing point (at least to me) is that this plan is just insane.

A scrambler could help you in doing this. Big Grin

if you have the uber pack

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

11-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I sent a friend request.

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis