Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What strategy games are Outwitters players playing..?
01-20-2014, 09:44 AM
RE: What strategy games are Outwitters players playing..?
(01-19-2014 11:48 PM)Uyduruk Wrote:  
(01-17-2014 07:24 PM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(11-25-2013 06:25 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 01:34 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(11-03-2013 10:12 PM)Charlie12520 Wrote:  Boo! New member! Big Grin

Anyways, I play FTL, Civ 5, League, Total War Rome 2, etc.

Faster than Light? My friend made that Tongue

Oh Cool! Love that game! Enjoyed their GDC talk as well. Was awesome to see them do well in IGF. Who's your friend? Matthew Davis or Justin Ma?

Matthew Davis! His sister lives with my college roommate. He made around $850k off it in the first 3 weeks or so if I remember correctly.

Steam is the place to release your games!

He deserved every penny of it, it's such a great game. FTL was my obsession before I started playing Outwitters. Finished the game with all 16 ships Smile)

On a related note, i read somewhere OML lost a lot of money with Outwitters, which made me very sad. The piece was dated around the release of the game, so I was hoping things might have improved since. Anyone has any updates on this?

Wow that's impressive. I was only able to get like 5-6 ships lol.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure Outwitters ended in a loss for them =/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2014, 01:23 PM
(01-20-2014 09:44 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(11-25-2013 06:25 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 01:34 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  Faster than Light? My friend made that Tongue

Oh Cool! Love that game! Enjoyed their GDC talk as well. Was awesome to see them do well in IGF. Who's your friend? Matthew Davis or Justin Ma?

Matthew Davis! His sister lives with my college roommate. He made around $850k off it in the first 3 weeks or so if I remember correctly.

He deserved every penny of it, it's such a great game. FTL was my obsession before I started playing Outwitters. Finished the game with all 16 ships Smile)

On a related note, i read somewhere OML lost a lot of money with Outwitters, which made me very sad. The piece was dated around the release of the game, so I was hoping things might have improved since. Anyone has any updates on this?

financially, it's not looking hot. critically, creatively? A smashing success. When looking to recoup costs of development we don't try to 'hit it out of the park' and recoup in a tiny amount of time. a couple of years recoup time is something we'd ideally shoot for. it keeps the lights on and let's us setup even more games and IP. Something longer is reasonable as not every game can be a 'hit'. given the business model and the amount of momentum we had it was clear Outwitters wasn't going to make even 60-70% of it's money for a very long time.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
01-20-2014, 01:36 PM
(01-20-2014 01:23 PM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(01-20-2014 09:44 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(11-25-2013 06:25 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  Oh Cool! Love that game! Enjoyed their GDC talk as well. Was awesome to see them do well in IGF. Who's your friend? Matthew Davis or Justin Ma?

financially, it's not looking hot. critically, creatively? A smashing success. When looking to recoup costs of development we don't try to 'hit it out of the park' and recoup in a tiny amount of time. a couple of years recoup time is something we'd ideally shoot for. it keeps the lights on and let's us setup even more games and IP. Something longer is reasonable as not every game can be a 'hit'. given the business model and the amount of momentum we had it was clear Outwitters wasn't going to make even 60-70% of it's money for a very long time.

Such a shame for a creatively successful game! I guess the platform was
just not the best as the majority of users prefer garbage like candy crush. I'm curious how successful the port from iOS to steam was for Hero Academy... and if it did bring in a lot more revenue it could be worth looking into for Outwitters. Ironically the steam port is what made me finally quit playing HA but I know they definitely had a good batch of new players at $4.99 a piece.
01-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Why is Candy Crush so successful? For one, it's a hard, brain burning puzzle game, with plenty of luck thrown in. When you pass a level, it's a great feeling. Second, it brought in a lot of non-gamers.

Live your life as more than plastic.
01-21-2014, 05:18 AM
I know, right? They're one of those copies of games that people used to like, and trying to shape it in a way people don't find them the same. Bejeweled, in this case.

(starts to laugh in the face of Candy Crush's 3.5 rating)

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
01-23-2014, 08:25 AM
(01-20-2014 01:31 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  
(01-18-2014 08:57 AM)L3R4T Wrote:  Hey i'm playing hearthstone too. Didn't put any money and was near to be legend on last season.
You have to farm arenas if you want to win money and cards at the begining to build your deck Wink

Wow, nice! I can't go over rank 15 in ladder, though I can do 10-3 in arena sometimes Tongue what's your battle.net id? We should play some games, just so that I'm not only crushed by you in outwitters. Tongue

It's Lerat#2787
01-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Anyone else play bloons tower defense 5? It is quite good.
01-23-2014, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2014 11:46 AM by Flarp55.)
I do!

rank?

im rank 60 or something

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
01-23-2014, 11:48 AM
I have been playing for a while. I am at 54.
01-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers

GC name: amoffett11
1v1 Super-Titan
2v2 with .Memories. and 2v2 random Master League

Until you stalk and overrun you can't devour anyone