Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Elite Championship - Season 2 - The Games
10-24-2013, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 05:59 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
The Elite Championship - Season 2 - The Games
Here is the thread dedicated to the season 2 of the Elite Championship!

First, here is a list of all the games of the tourney (there are gonna be 105 games, oh my GOD ... That number reminds me something else too... Tongue )

- The List -

Round 1: Thorn Gulley

Round 2: Glitch

Round 3: War Garden

Round 4: Sharkfood Island

Round 5: Reaper

Round 6: Skullduggery

Round 7: Sweet Tooth

Round 8: Peekaboo

Round 9: Long Nine

Round 10: Sweetie Plains

Round 11: Foundry

Round 12: Thorn Gulley

Round 13: Skullduggery

Round 14: Reaper

Round 15: Sweet Tooth

Each players who wants to can reserve a post here (that's why I will ask the non-participants not to post here for around a week!) and comment his own games. I'm gonna comment mine in this post.

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2013, 01:21 AM
RE: The Elite Championship - Season 2 - The Games
placeholder
10-25-2013, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 06:48 AM by [PETA] Cor13:4.)

[Image: hexmap_wargarden.jpg]

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwKLf0wsM

Commentary: As soon as I saw that he chose Scallywags, I was worried. An early BS at G9 with me being feedback would be a tough nut to crack. I knew on Turn 6 he would have 9-10 wits which would be enough to place a BS there.

So on turn 5, I did a somewhat inefficient runner trade (3 wits for me to take his runner which is 2 wits to get there, usually I wouldn't do this trade), because I knew he would have to take out that runner, which wouldn't leave him with enough wits to spawn a BS. I then pressed my units forward to put him in a tough situation.

I think on Turn 6 a better option would have been to spawn a sniper and move to H9. A sniper in that position can defend, is pretty safe from attack, and can attack if you want to press forward. He would have had to do something like:

1. Move 3 HP soldier from E9 to G9
2. Move 4 HP soldier from F8 to H8
3. Move medic to I8
4. Spawn sniper and move to H9

That would have made my attack much harder and tenuous. But once I saw that he did not spawn a sniper, I knew I could move my soldiers and the heavy up, and that would leave me with a perfect spot for a scramber at C5, safe from all attack and within striking range.

Key Strategy: Range is awesome when you have units bunched and only a few attackable hexes. Since this prevents an attacker from taking out more than 1 unit in close range, a sniper or other ranged will allow you to take out more units.

Round 8: Peekaboo (No Match this Round)

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAgKv6jQsM

Torbreck planned this out excellently. I relied too much on my BSes and turtling on the right, assuming that he was going to push there like most Sweetie Plains battles go. If I had stuck to the basics of keeping vision, I would have reinforced the left more and been safe.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwI6M0gsM

This was a fun game. P2 is tough on Foundry, which most consider to have a significant FTA (first turn advantage).

Awpertunity played excellently, but I did manage to get the offensive positioning because of where he placed his runner on Turn 3. If he had instead taken my runner by placing his runner one hex lower, I would have been forced to expose my unit on Turn 4 to his sniper. Because he placed his runner where he did I was able to take it with my heavy safely, and was able to use my wits and spawns to move for the attack.

Spawning a sniper was an excellent move for him in defense. My first mistake was I should have moved my medic to the left of the bottom spawn instead of on top of it. Usually you move it to the left so that it can boost the soldier that is moving from your bottom wit space. Because I did not move my medic correctly, he was able to threaten my bottom wit and soldier with his heavy, which put me in a tough situation.

My next mistake, was I miscounted his wits, because I had assumed he had boosted his sniper the previous turn.

Turn 18/20 I planned well, saving up the proper amount of wits so that I could bring out a mobi and surprise him. It was a bit risky, but I hoped that he did not expect it.

Unfortunately, turn 22, I made what I believe was the fatal mistake. I thought about where to move my runner, and knew he could try to sneak my bottom wit. Since he had blocked his sniper on Turn 21, I knew my top was relatively safe (my sniper was safe, which could take out his sniper). I really should have moved my lower runner down in case he was trying to take my wit space, instead of moving it up. Because I did not, that wit space was pretty much forever lost and it allowed him to wittle me down until he had enough wits to spawn his bramble, which ended the game.

It was a fun game, and Awpertunity played excellently!

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4
10-25-2013, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2013 05:54 AM by Thrutchy.)
Round 1: Thorn Gulley, p2, jesusfuentesh
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAmMG2jgoM

Round 2: Glitch, p1, ler4t
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAmPLg4QkM

Round 3: War Garden, p2, poweewee
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA8MO6pgoM

Round 4: Sharkfood Island, p1, cor13:4
Out of the tournament

Round 5: Reaper, p2, his daddy
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA6KebkAkM

Round 6: Skullduggery, p1, trumpet.alan
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwP6fogkM

Round 7: Sweet Tooth, p2, mag!cguy
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA0MDPzwoM

Round 8: Peekaboo, p1, mastercaster
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwMGv9AgM

Round 9: Long Nine, p1, greatgonzales
Started

Round 10: Sweetie Plains, p2, white dr4gon
Started

Round 11: Foundry, p1, sharugames
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA0JCm9gsM

Round 12: Thorn Gulley, none

Round 13: Skullduggery, p1, pharmafan
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwK6FtQkM

Round 14: Reaper, p2, ===torbreck===
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwJ7usAkM

Round 15: Sweet Tooth, p1, awpertunity
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA6M-tgwkM
10-25-2013, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2013 10:56 AM by awpertunity.)
Hopefully I will get around to making comments about these, but if anything at least I can keep track of my races here! I already need to rethink my races since I just realized thanks to Cor's post that I don't have a SFI round!!

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAoNLnzAsM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwI7-xgkM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwPa2lQgM

My strategy was to use Bramble to harass the witspaces and slowly overcome him. I knew exactly what he was trying to do so a lot of my turns I forced him to spend wits at the bottom so he couldn't set up. For example I often put a runner on his low wit space which is an even 3-3 wit trade. Essentially I did this so he couldn't spend a whole turn saving wits and making a mobi. I think my first real mistake was turn 11 where I wasted lots of wits to do pretty much nothing, and that is precisely when his mobi came out. Without a sniper of my own up top I was screwed against his mobi sniper combo.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAmIGw1QoM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwI7-hgsM

Decimated.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA4JmcrAsM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwI6M0gsM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA6KebkAsM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwPbixAkM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwJKw7AgM

10-26-2013, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 01:58 PM by Torbreck.)

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA4JGS1QsM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwPa2lQgM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAkNqH3gkM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAgKv6jQsM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwPOQogsM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwJ_NnQoM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwJ7usAkM

Super-Titan Top 200: #5
GCID: ===Torbreck===
King of the Hill