Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Elite Championship - Season 2 [WINNER: PHARMAFAN]
11-28-2013, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 01:38 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
RE: The Elite Championship - Season 2 [STARTED]
I think it is the responsibility of the participant to check the tournament thread. Also, this tournament started such a long time ago that I am normally not supposed to add such a rule, so if players still haven't started their matches that means they forgot about the tourney or became inactive. Wink I can't run after everyone to check if they are actually playing their games correctly and in the right time, if one accepts to sign up, then he has to stay tuned with the tourney news and ensure he doesn't delay this "important" tournament! Tongue If he knows he won't have the time, or simply will forget, to do it, then he shouldn't sign up.

Also, the player not starting his matches won't be DQ, he will forfeit the games he was supposed to start for a month and a half now, which is totally fair in my opinion.

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2013, 01:39 AM
I completely agree with GG. Enforcing a last minute rule that not everybody knows about would undermine the tournament. In the US this is Thanksgiving week, so some may be busy with family and traveling. I think you should extend the deadline. Also, you might want to ask that P2 attempt to initiate a communication game on a different map first where the bonus wits aren't taken. If there is no response (screenshot to verify), then an action could be taken. This should inform all players without Magic having to do all the work.

I do agree that a time limit should should be set, though.
11-28-2013, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 01:57 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
I agree it is a last minute rule, but to be honest I didn't expect to need to implement a deadline. Almost no match has been ended these past weeks, I mean, very few of them, so I'm really worrying about this tourney becoming inactive, that's why I have set this limit.

I did forget about Thanksgiving, maybe 3 days is too rough, and I should have set a deadline from the beginning, that's why I will change this time limit to the:

03/12/2013

I won't send any PM nor invite anyone for a game, because it's not my work. But, as you suggested well trutchy, if you are P2 and are still waiting for an invite from your opponent(s), initiate a communication with him (them), by PM or via in-game invitation.

Oh and, Season 3 WILL happen. With new heads, and new rules. Tongue

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)

11-28-2013, 02:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 02:57 AM by awpertunity.)
(11-28-2013 01:48 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  I did forget about Thanksgiving, maybe 3 days is too rough, and I should have set a deadline from the beginning, that's why I will change this time limit to the:

03/12/2013

Also in the US we use month/day/year

[Image: LW8EOXP.jpg]
11-28-2013, 03:06 AM
Lol yeah I forgot about that! I prefer my logic so I'll let the format as it is right now Big Grin

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)

11-28-2013, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 06:57 AM by His_Daddy.)
so everyone is timed out after Mar12 and the being-ass-kicked-by-awpertunity game i'm having now doesn't count?
Big Grin

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA6OeXgwgM Gg!
11-28-2013, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 07:51 AM by GreatGonzales.)
(11-28-2013 01:48 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  I won't send any PM nor invite anyone for a game, because it's not my work.

In my view it is your work, as tournament organizer, to notify participants of any rule changes. Normally it would be fine, I think, to just post about it in the thread, but since this rule change adds a DQ timeout where there was none before, I think the onus is on you to make sure participants are aware of the new rule as quickly as possible. That means PMing - which will take you all of 5 minutes, not sure what the big deal is...

You wanna know how many PMs I've sent for my 2v2 tournament? Probably about a BAJILLION, give or take.

Shrug. Just my two cents.

BTW, I sent out all remaining invites today.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
11-28-2013, 08:02 AM
In my view it is your work, as a participant, to stay commited into the tournament you signed up in. You sent billion of PM's for your tournament, that's nice, but this is not what I intend to do for my own tournament because I am not supposed to do it. We are not talking about a rule change like "the maps changed for the remaining round" or stuff like that, we are talking about a deadline due to some players who forgot to start their games.

Also, I don't see why you are minding since I extended the deadline, and the only people concerned by this are you and sharugames, who are now aware of this. I am not sure about master caster and white dragon, but I didn' see anyone saying he was waiting on an invite from them.

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)

11-28-2013, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 08:11 AM by GreatGonzales.)
To each their own I suppose. I care deeply about the success of tournaments I host, so I am loath to let anyone be DQ'd due to unfortunate circumstances. Ultimately we should want games to be played, competition to occur, because this increases the value and relevance of the ultimate tournament result. This is the the role of the tournament organizer, in my view. You're certainly right that there is also a responsibility on the part of the participant to try to stay informed, but I don't think it's a fair expectation for participants to be concerned about being DQ'd simply because they do not frequent the forum. White dr4gon is a good example of this, does he ever come here?

Also, it's not fair to say that people who haven't started their games yet must have therefore "forgot", since they are being compliant with the tournament rules as they were originally. Anything regarding DQ is way more important than a map change or something.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
11-28-2013, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 08:24 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
Here is how I see it:

- White Dragon never comes to the forum, indeed. I invited him to have as many top players as possible, and to try to make him want to be active in the community. It didn't work at all, because he is not talkative and so on. But he was interested in how the tourney worked, who was P1/P2, etc (by our chat when we were playing our long nine game). If he did start all his games, then I don't mind whether he is present in the forum or not: obviously, it's not good, it doesn't make me want to invite him for season 3, etc. But he wouldn't delay the tournament. It's the same for mastercaster, who is way more talkative but seemingly isn't a fan of the forum Tongue

- Apart from these two players, everyone else is present on the forum, from a bit active to very active. And for all of these, I think that, as I already said, as long as you accept the invitiation, it is your "duty" to stay tuned. Also, a very small part of these players didn't start their games in a, in my opinion, decent delay. So, if they don't start their games AND don't come in the forum, I understand they became inactive or they forgot/don't care anymore the contest. See what I mean? You might not agree, but that's how I see it and will likely always see it. Smile

Also, as I repeated many times (!!), no one will be DQ'd, it will only be the unstarted matches that will count as a loss. This is why I think this is fair: it doesn't mess up all what you did so far, but mess up what you were supposed to start but didn't.