Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.3 Average
New Teams/Character Ideas
07-29-2012, 08:56 AM
RE: New Teams/Character Ideas
A lot of these ideas sound great! I haven't read through the whole thread but ideas like Magma, Undead, Insect teams seem like good fits for Outwitters. As for the completely comical ('joke' as OML called it) team, I think the Adorables fit that niche already and I'd rather have a slightly more 'serious' approach to any future teams (in other words more like the feedback/scallywag feel).

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2012, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2012 09:49 AM by NathanDetr0it.)
This has been dead for a while so how about a revival?

Desert-based Team:
Runner - Lizard (Basiliscus or Frilled Neck Lizard)
Soldier - Meerkats or Weevils (holding wooden/reed trident)
Medic - Camel
Sniper - Cactus (fires needles)
Heavy - Scorpion
Special - Dustdevil
Attacks all adjacent enemies at once. May only hit base once, regardless of adjacency.
H - 2
S - 3
D - 2

Dustdevil Alt 1:
H - 2
S - 5
D - 1
(with no limit on base damage)
08-16-2012, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2012 11:08 AM by advakharia95.)
Thanks for the revive. I like the whole desert concept. I think by switching the scorpion and lizard, the aesthetics would work better. And the special really seems like a sacrificial unit in both cases presented. When I spend 7 wits, and more on moving the special, defending it, and attacking with it, I don't want it to just be compromised. How about 3 or 4 health? Not sure if 4 would be too much, I think it would need to be tested out in-game.
08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
I also had some ideas for special units which are good for breaking turtles (not all of mine are). This are just the basic ideas but how to balance them with range hp etc i dont know.

Special unit 1:
A special unit which is able to drag units from the opponent or yourself adjacent to itself. A bit like the Mobi but not so mobile and with a range limitation (4 or 3) but has the advantage to drag opponents into your lines.

Special unit 2 (Coloss):
A slow but with a lot of health combat unit. About the special ability i dont know yet...
But some kind of close combat ability

Special unit 3:
A unit that is able to spawn little weak other units with one or two health.
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Meph1stons ideas sounds like the heart of the swarm expansion....
08-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Weathermen

I had this idea a while ago but I wanted to draw it out so it took a while.

New team: Weathermen

Runner: Raindrop
Soldier: White cloud with rainbow arm holding wind vane
Medic: Sun
Sniper: Thundercloud
Heavy: Tornado
Special: Bolt - runner/sniper hybrid. 2 HP, 4 movement, 2 range. Does only 1 damage, but prevents target from moving or attacking next turn.

Other special ideas (not drawn):
Snowflake - based on the sniper. 1 HP, 2 movement, 3 range. Does only 1 damage, but reduces damage of target by 1, and movement of target by 2. The effect stacks. Movement and damage cannot be reduced below 1.

Rainbow - based on the medic. 1 HP, 3 movement, 3 range. Does "splash healing" of 2 HP on main target and 1 HP as splash. Can only buff a main target. Units in splash will not be buffed.

1v1 Gifted
2v2 Clever
Friendly matches if you want!
GC: Riftskipper
08-17-2012, 03:22 AM
More special unit ideas! (feel free to borrow these for your special if you can't think of one yourself)
Note that these are loosely named, and you can change the name to more suit your own themes...

"Protector" or "Shield-Bearer"
H - 3
S - 3
Special - Gives adjacent allied units +1 armour (like the Bombshell) ONLY while adjacent.
(Perhaps to balance it, you could make it a toggle, similar to Bombshell, except rather than stopping movement, it reduces it to S=1 and can't be Mobi'd (by an ally) while shielding)
(Alsp for balance, I can't decide whether it would be overpowered if it also shielded itself too [meaning 5HP when medic'd] or underpowered to not shield itself)

"Sapper" or "Leecher"
Okay, so this kind of unit was discussed in a number of posts already in this thread, but most of the suggestions seemed overpowered, or too clunky, or both. And I could only imagine very limited potential use in an actual game... So here's my suggestion (and it also seems a little clunky, but it's as good as I can imagine without being too similar to another existing unit)
H - 1
S - 4/5/6? (needs balancing)
Special - deals 1 damage to adjacent enemy to gain 1 health itself, but loses 1 speed. No limit to max health, but cannot have less than 1 speed (so you might end up with a 10-health, 1-speed, 1-damage unit... Hard to kill but not all that strong)
(IMO, distributing health among your own allies [to any degree] seems either a really clunky mechanic [if allies don't have to be adjacent] or a fairly underpowered, still clunky mechanic [if only adjacent allies])
(in my version, the Sapper gets fatter the more it eats, and hence slows down)
(for balancing, perhaps there's a limit to its size... Either it can keep eating but no health gain, OR it "throws up" everything and goes back to 1 health and max speed [vulnerable if in enemy territory], OR can't be Mobi'd if over a certain size {4/5/6/other?})
(again, THIS NEEDS BALANCING!)

"Neutraliser"
Again, there have been a few variants of this kind of thing already (the UFO "abductor", the cloud "freezer", another unit was said to have a "stun" or "immobilise" of some kind to delay the opponent's rush) mentioned in this thread, and again I have some ideas of my own to add...
H - 1 (2?)
S - 3 (all specials in the game so far have this speed)
Special - at range (2/3?), this unit neutralises an enemy for a turn (2 turns?). It cannot move (but CAN be Mobi'd) or attack or use any special ability. If the target is healed (by a medic), the neutralisation immediately wears off for movement, but is still dazed and cannot attack or use
special abilities.
(ALTERNATIVELY healing it restores it's abilities/attacks, but it still cannot move? I can't gauge which would be more overpowered...)
(if the unit is attacked, it is immediately un-stunned and can move/attack/special as usual)
(for balancing, perhaps the stun lasts while the "Neutraliser" maintains "eye contact" so it could keep an enemy unit out of play for the rest of the game, if cleverly played, but at the cost of keeping itself in position too... If another enemy unit moves in front to block sight, the stun is lifted)

Most of the terrain mechanics I saw seemed like they mostly made gameplay painful... And I noticed a few issues with "semi-terrain" (like stuff that slowed/stopped/hurt a unit if it "TRIED TO MOVE OVER/THROUGH") because, although the animation shows the unit leaping, a Runner (for example) can technically path AROUND a wall that's 2 or 3 long, but still appear to go over it.
My two cents on some of the other terrain-modifiers... Unless the terrain is destructible (like a wall of heavy that doesn't hit back) then either the mechanic is clunky (it if times out after x turns), or just plain overpowered (if permanent). Imagine someone who's been able to set up a strong defense for a few turns, and when his opponent finally punches through the wall of soldiers, they find an impassable wall (or worse, a line of pits with snipers behind) separating his base from the rest of the field!

Apologies for such a long post, but I had a brainwave of ideas and decided to share them before my attention span~ OH LOOK I FOUND A SHINY!!!

———————————
Why is the rum gone?
08-18-2012, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2012 12:22 AM by Lutherj.)
I was thinking a special with its main function being extensive sight could be cool. Basically a tank type unit that could be placed strategically to maximize sight on the board without being able to do damage (or very little)

H- 8/9/10... Basically enough so that killing it would be a huge effort.
S- 3 (as a movement)
A- either 0, or maybe 1 to any unit next to it once the special has been "grounded". Obviously no damage to bases.
Special: the unit can be "grounded" at a place that a player thinks is good (costs a wit to do that), every subsequent turn of the player, the sight of the unit increases by 1 (but not it's movement in the case of it being ungrounded and moved somewhere else).

Maybe when the unit isn't grounded, it's health should be 2 or something. And grounding can only be done the turn after a movement.
08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
How about an 8-bit/Final Fantasy team? (Not that this would ever happen, but...)

Runner: Thief
Soldier: Black Belt
Medic: White Mage
Sniper: Black Mage
Heavy: Fighter
Special: Ninja
HP: 2
Moves: 4
Attack: 2 Damage
Special: May attack twice
08-19-2012, 03:12 PM
I've done some thinking about some of these teams and I just don't think they fit into the cartoonish/serious theme. On that note, hero academy was released for steam and they added a TF2 team. TBH, this team ruined the game. This team doesn't suit the character design, etc. Don't be hero academy level, outwitters!!