Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2v2 random: why it really sucks. A lot.
09-20-2013, 02:49 AM
RE: 2v2 random: why it really sucks. A lot.
Congrats Juslas! Your "1 game at a time" placement game strategy definitely paid off. I'll update my thread soon

Everything Changes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Disagree, I was placed in fluffy 2v2r. Now about to be promoted to gifted. Given, you are going to get some bad teamates and face arranged teams that know what they're doing and kill you, but that's all part of the challenge. It makes it worth it even more when you get promoted up. I keep noticing my teamates getting stronger and stronger. If everything in life came easy, then it wouldn't be fun. Smile

College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters!

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

Outwitters Name: Coolio - da best
09-20-2013, 11:13 AM
(09-20-2013 11:10 AM)Coolio Wrote:  Disagree, I was placed in fluffy 2v2r. Now about to be promoted to gifted. Given, you are going to get some bad teamates and face arranged teams that know what they're doing and kill you, but that's all part of the challenge. It makes it worth it even more when you get promoted up. I keep noticing my teamates getting stronger and stronger. If everything in life came easy, then it wouldn't be fun. Smile

Fluffy to Gifted feels like that if you use the phineas method for defending your own league points is so much easier than Master to ST.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
09-20-2013, 12:41 PM
(09-20-2013 11:13 AM)Doodat Wrote:  
(09-20-2013 11:10 AM)Coolio Wrote:  Disagree, I was placed in fluffy 2v2r. Now about to be promoted to gifted. Given, you are going to get some bad teamates and face arranged teams that know what they're doing and kill you, but that's all part of the challenge. It makes it worth it even more when you get promoted up. I keep noticing my teamates getting stronger and stronger. If everything in life came easy, then it wouldn't be fun. Smile

Fluffy to Gifted feels like that if you use the phineas method for defending your own league points is so much easier than Master to ST.

And what is phineas' method?

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

09-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Phineas' Method

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
09-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Well I don't do that and I just lost my first 2v2r game in probably 6 or 7 games. If you take time and especially play defense before offense, I find it more likely to win. Also suggest things to your partner I chat: they may not listen but that's the most you can do! The game is the way it is, Adam and Alex may change it, but for now just play it and have fun.

09-20-2013, 06:01 PM
My arranged partners know I don't take lightly mine or their errors, I like to chat, too. None of that fits to 2v2 random. I am reasonably experienced 2v2 player and managed to guide random team to early victories. Getting paired with skilled 2v2 players soon enough. And matched against Super Titans. 4 of the lost matches were against arranged Super Titans! Maybe we see rankings later tonight.

FTA is scary when arranged is matched against random. Other than that my random experiment has been better than expected. Some of my arranged team members agree that I am now more polite partner, so 2v2 random has made me a slightly nicer person (chat). Texting is not my strongest skill ;-)
09-21-2013, 01:19 AM

First off, congrats on getting to Gifted League the hard way, no mean feat!

But what are you disagreeing with? Is it this?

(09-20-2013 02:15 AM)Juslas Wrote:  And with top ranked random players game is quite enjoyable ;-)

Possibly implying that playing with lower ranked players isn't enjoyable.

I believe this statement is made in response to the thread as a whole, not as a moan about inexperienced players. Because Juslas only played 1 game at a time in his placement matches, and won all 5, he ensured that he had the highest possible hidden rank thereby getting him to 41st in the lists - a position which meant he was almost guaranteed an experienced partner.

If he had started 5 games simultaneously, chances are at least 1 of those games would have timed out due to being paired with unranked partners, lost one other due to bad play from partner and lost one more due to being matched against an arranged team. 2 wins out of 5, placed in Fluffy League or Clever League, the road to Super-Titan would have been slightly longer.

No-one's saying it isn't fun to play outwitters at whatever level although many feel frustration at the way the random 2v2 system works. See you in Master League soon though Coolio Smile

Everything Changes
09-21-2013, 02:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 06:14 AM by Juslas.)
I thought that random would suck big time. Not suited to my temper at all. Finding 2v2 aranged partners has not been easy either. Or maintaining them. I do not play 1v1 - only 2v2 since it is unique turn based experience with fog of war.
There were these forum threds and random ranking that made me try out random. And I was confident that doing one match at a time is mathematicly the right way to get the highest rank ...
First I tried not to chat with team member, but if they chatted, I responded. Now with top 10 random players I do not know what is ... proper ... we end up being as team members and opponents simultaneously even on same map.
There is plenty of fun, to my suprise, on 2v2 random. But FTA and playing aginst aranged top 20 teams is ... not fun, since you really do not have the tools to win.
September 20th rankings were published, ranking list from 1-9 had once again changed ... Well randomly Smile
But those players have much more matches than I do and they play against each other all the time.
09-22-2013, 10:37 AM
(09-21-2013 01:19 AM)phineas94 Wrote:  

First off, congrats on getting to Gifted League the hard way, no mean feat!

But what are you disagreeing with? Is it this?

(09-20-2013 02:15 AM)Juslas Wrote:  And with top ranked random players game is quite enjoyable ;-)

Possibly implying that playing with lower ranked players isn't enjoyable.

I believe this statement is made in response to the thread as a whole, not as a moan about inexperienced players. Because Juslas only played 1 game at a time in his placement matches, and won all 5, he ensured that he had the highest possible hidden rank thereby getting him to 41st in the lists - a position which meant he was almost guaranteed an experienced partner.

If he had started 5 games simultaneously, chances are at least 1 of those games would have timed out due to being paired with unranked partners, lost one other due to bad play from partner and lost one more due to being matched against an arranged team. 2 wins out of 5, placed in Fluffy League or Clever League, the road to Super-Titan would have been slightly longer.

No-one's saying it isn't fun to play outwitters at whatever level although many feel frustration at the way the random 2v2 system works. See you in Master League soon though Coolio Smile

Sorry that I was unclear, but I was disaggreeing with Gfish's original post not winning 5 placement games. Winning all your placement games is an achievement when you will likely be paired with fluffier and such! I do not think 2v2r sucks as much as Gfish states though.