Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veggienauts vs. Scallywags
06-25-2013, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 08:56 AM by Lentro.)
Veggienauts vs. Scallywags
I'm pretty new to this game, and have made it to bronze league. I have a particular match in play where I am fighting Scallywags with my Veggienauts, and he has two bombshells already out (stupid of me not to see them until I pushed a small attack forward and was bombed ruthlessly for it). The map is long-nine and he has both bombshells next to his base.

This is just my scenario, in general, I just want to know what Veggienuats can do against turtling. All the strategies I see involve mobi, your own bombshell, or a scrambler (which they seem to be having problems too.) I haven't found a thread about this specifically, so I hope I'm not cluttering up the forums by doing this.

Also, I might just be overthinking it, but it seems to me that there is a lack of veggienaut threads. Are they just one of the lesser used classes?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
RE: Veggienauts vs. Scallywags
Yup Veggienauts are views as an inferior race. Vegginauts are very good on Long9, from what you're describing here's what you can do, put up a bramble behind the sniper, start making mother thorns and saving wits, when the time is right, just extend them to the north wit space you can easily control it for a few turns to get enough wit advantage to win the game. It's a bit complicated as you can't send the thorns alone it requires some setup, you'd have one soldier ready to push in with the thorns and you'd have your wit space scout moved forward but still in the fog of war.
I did it once but have no replay saved.

Goodluck
06-25-2013, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 11:05 AM by Norahsul.)
http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays/view/...20Ym6exAww

My shameless promotion for game with poweewee ... Even though I didn't win n he was the one who used veggie, I thought he used veggies well.
You can check it!

And here's poweewee n alvendor v v s, another good use of veggies
http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays/view/...20Y4JaJAww
06-25-2013, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 11:54 AM by baopu.)
I'm curious, how many turns have been taken? It seems crazy to me that someone would be double bombshelled on long nine without you noticing. I wonder if we still have a cheating problem.

I like big BUTs and I cannot lie...
06-25-2013, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 12:24 PM by TheGoldenGriffin.)
I had a game where my opponent had 2 bombshells and i didn't know. I did suspect he had some bombshells somewhere on the map cuz i managed to accumulate 3 scramblers. I only knew how many he had and where they were only after i saw the replay after the game ended
When you say you were bombed ruthlessly for it, do you mean both bombshellls shelled your army? That means you could go around them if the bombshells are localized.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
06-25-2013, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 01:45 PM by Lentro.)
(06-25-2013 09:44 AM)blckace Wrote:  Yup Veggienauts are views as an inferior race. Vegginauts are very good on Long9, from what you're describing here's what you can do, put up a bramble behind the sniper, start making mother thorns and saving wits, when the time is right, just extend them to the north wit space you can easily control it for a few turns to get enough wit advantage to win the game.

Okay, so I did something a little different from that. (Keep in mind this is an ongoing game and I have been playing consistently haha.) It might have been stupid, but I put my brambler right next to the upper wit space I control, and put some scout thorns out toward theirs. I am in the middle of bringing my sniper upwards and flanking it with a runner for vision. He didn't turtle right, because he pushed an attack on me, and with two other snipers (I have three total) I turned the attack around pretty easily. It went down toward the bottom above the lower wit spaces. I'm now ready to get the snipers moving toward his base and I will flank it with soldiers two spaces ahead, it will cost a lot, but I should get it down.

(06-25-2013 09:44 AM)baopu Wrote:  I'm curious, how many turns have been taken? It seems crazy to me that someone would be double bombshelled on long nine without you noticing. I wonder if we still have a cheating problem.

(sorry if that quote didn't come out right, I don't know for sure how to do it manually)
I don't think there was any cheating, it was around turn twelve when I saw the first one, and thirteen when, well, the second saw me. Haha.

(06-25-2013 09:44 AM) TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  When you say you were bombed ruthlessly for it, do you mean both bombshellls shelled your army? That means you could go around them if the bombshells are localized.

Actually, the first only grazed me, it is located upward nestled right under the bottom of the two bushes above his base. The second one mirrors it below the base.

Thanks for the replays. The first (or maybe the later) seemed as if he didn't need to spawn his special in the first place. The later one however, he made some impressive plays with. One thing I noticed however, is that some of his thorns randomly got 3 HP. Am I totally not utilizing my thorns or did he do something I'm missing? He went out of his way to grab those wit spaces also, spending so much as 4 wits just to get to a wit space that he didn't even occupy for a turn. Should I do that?

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to go up for that wit space, it will take time though, he is moving two soldiers up toward it.
06-25-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm sure you did griff, I'm sure you did.

I like big BUTs and I cannot lie...
06-25-2013, 11:58 PM
(06-25-2013 11:04 AM)Norahsul Wrote:  http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays/view/...20Ym6exAww

My shameless promotion for game with poweewee ... Even though I didn't win n he was the one who used veggie, I thought he used veggies well.
You can check it!

And here's poweewee n alvendor v v s, another good use of veggies
http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays/view/...20Y4JaJAww

Thanks for sharing those replays! It's nice to relive some past games Big Grin That one against Alvendor was epic. Big Grin

(06-25-2013 01:15 PM)Lentro Wrote:  Thanks for the replays. The first (or maybe the later) seemed as if he didn't need to spawn his special in the first place. The later one however, he made some impressive plays with. One thing I noticed however, is that some of his thorns randomly got 3 HP. Am I totally not utilizing my thorns or did he do something I'm missing? He went out of his way to grab those wit spaces also, spending so much as 4 wits just to get to a wit space that he didn't even occupy for a turn. Should I do that?

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to go up for that wit space, it will take time though, he is moving two soldiers up toward it.

About the random 3HP thorns, it used to be the thorns had 3 HP but couldn't attack; they changed it as such...to 2HP but could attack adjacent thorns.

About spending 4 wits to occupy a wit space: For the veggies, it is all about harassing the wit space. Preferably, have a boosted sniper behind your thorns, and eventually, that wit space will be yours. Wit the extra wit each turn, all you have to do is grind it out till the end Big Grin
06-26-2013, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 12:39 AM by Lentro.)
(06-25-2013 11:58 PM)poweewee Wrote:  About the random 3HP thorns, it used to be the thorns had 3 HP but couldn't attack; they changed it as such...to 2HP but could attack adjacent thorns.

Strange, I thought I saw some three HP thorns and some two HP thorns, that were attacking. Oh well, I guess I like attacking more than tanking with thorns.

(06-25-2013 11:58 PM)poweewee Wrote:  About spending 4 wits to occupy a wit space: For the veggies, it is all about harassing the wit space. Preferably, have a boosted sniper behind your thorns, and eventually, that wit space will be yours. [undefined=undefined] Wit the extra wit each turn [/undefined], all you have to do is grind it out till the end Big Grin

(I see what you did there! Or was that just accident?)
I have been working really hard on getting my snipers to follow behind thorns, I would post my progress through a replay, but I have yet to look up how to do that exactly. haha. I'll try to harass the wit spaces some more for future references.

Thanks!

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YkeflAww

Keep in mind, this is clever league, don't expect two proffesionals fighting it out. Although I will readily accept compliments.Big Grin
06-26-2013, 12:36 AM
That was an accident Big Grin LOL Anyway, good luck with the veggies!