Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
sniper can't shoot 3 spaces
07-10-2012, 05:18 AM
sniper can't shoot 3 spaces
Can you guys take a look at the attached picture and explain why my sniper (adorable) can't hid the red heavy? Does it have something to do with the column? Sorry that the image is small, the forum is limited to <500 kb so this size was my only option.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 05:20 AM by Fluffysox.)
RE: sniper can't shoot 3 spaces
Yes, it's cusa the column.
Snipers can't shoot at opponents directly on the otherside of a wall[/code]
07-10-2012, 05:27 AM
To quote the help section:
'Help Section Wrote:Can hit any target within 3 spaces, firing over pits and friends, but not through barriers or enemies.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2012, 05:34 AM
But there is an opening available to shoot through, to the right, and that path is within 3 spaces so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to hit the heavy. Maybe it's just me lacking common sense, but I feel some clarification that bullets can't "turn corners" should be stated (or users could learn from experience, like I did).
07-10-2012, 05:55 AM
(07-10-2012 05:34 AM)swimj Wrote:  But there is an opening available to shoot through, to the right, and that path is within 3 spaces so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to hit the heavy. Maybe it's just me lacking common sense, but I feel some clarification that bullets can't "turn corners" should be stated (or users could learn from experience, like I did).

Which bullets do you know that can turn corners? I find the explanation perfectly clear and as it is stated in the Tips for New Players thread, feel free to familiarize yourself with these mechanics in a Pass'n'Play game against yourself.

Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
07-10-2012, 06:00 AM
(07-10-2012 05:18 AM)swimj Wrote:  Can you guys take a look at the attached picture and explain why my sniper (adorable) can't hid the red heavy? Does it have something to do with the column? Sorry that the image is small, the forum is limited to <500 kb so this size was my only option.

Snipers have a blindspot directly behind barriers. It's one of the few 'exceptions' to the range rules.
07-10-2012, 06:20 AM
(07-10-2012 05:55 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 05:34 AM)swimj Wrote:  But there is an opening available to shoot through, to the right, and that path is within 3 spaces so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to hit the heavy. Maybe it's just me lacking common sense, but I feel some clarification that bullets can't "turn corners" should be stated (or users could learn from experience, like I did).

Which bullets do you know that can turn corners? I find the explanation perfectly clear and as it is stated in the Tips for New Players thread, feel free to familiarize yourself with these mechanics in a Pass'n'Play game against yourself.

But the sniper bullets can turn corners a little bit, in other situations. If the sniper was in the hex between the medic and the soldier, he'd be able to snipe the shark, even though there's a barrier blocking a straight line path between them.

I think it's totally legitimate for new players to be confused about what does and doesn't count as a barrier blocking a sniper.
07-10-2012, 06:23 AM
(07-10-2012 06:20 AM)wonderpug Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 05:55 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  

But the sniper bullets can turn corners a little bit, in other situations. If the sniper was in the hex between the medic and the soldier, he'd be able to snipe the shark, even though there's a barrier blocking a straight line path between them.

I think it's totally legitimate for new players to be confused about what does and doesn't count as a barrier blocking a sniper.

Well, you could think of this scenario as 'hugging the corner'. I agree that it's best learned through experience. That's why I advocate Pass'n'Play games against oneself to see these things in action.
Pits can also cause a head-scrather with line of sight and movement range.

07-10-2012, 06:34 AM
@Kamikaze: Well, do you know of any eyes that can see around corners?

The point is it's a game and all bets on common sense are off.

(07-10-2012 06:20 AM)wonderpug Wrote:  But the sniper bullets can turn corners a little bit, in other situations. If the sniper was in the hex between the medic and the soldier, he'd be able to snipe the shark, even though there's a barrier blocking a straight line path between them.

Thank you. I appreciate your understanding. Another such instance is the spot between the barrels on long nine from which a sniper can hit the base, not going in a straight line. I agree clarifying, though, is a little unwieldy and best figured out through experience. I mainly wanted to make sure by asking on the forum.
07-10-2012, 06:44 AM
I forget, do the tutorial pop-up boxes at the beginning have text, and only text? If they can have pictures, then I think a pop-up box with some pictures of what barrier shots can and can't work would go a long way toward easing confusion, and/or have it in the "Characters" section of the Help area.