Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
sniper can't shoot 3 spaces
03-27-2013, 05:42 AM
RE: sniper can't shoot 3 spaces
(03-27-2013 05:37 AM).Memories. Wrote:  And just in case someone else wants to test SFI or Skullduggery (or however it's spelled..), don't. Because I just did and the ol' sniping bases over the gap still works there. I thought it might have been a fix in the update or something.. I don't know.. Confused
LOL I've just exactly done the same! It seems it's a sweet tooth bug :/

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2013, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 05:57 AM by Harti.)
(03-27-2013 05:14 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  Someone explain this: the sniper is should be able to hit the base because snipers could shoot over empty spaces.

Programmer explanation: Easy. The map was modeled to "end" there, not to have a pit there. When it ends it acts like an obstacle because the "valid attack fields" algorithm won't even take it into account for pathfinding. Unlike SFI which does feature a pit, so it also can be shot across.

Logic explanation:

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

03-27-2013, 06:41 AM
So real life games work pretty much like in WarioWare: DIY?

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
03-27-2013, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2013 07:00 AM by Harti.)
(03-27-2013 06:41 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  So real life games work pretty much like in WarioWare: DIY?
It completely depends, there sure are a couple of frameworks where you can just draw or put stuff together like in WW DIY. Sometimes people also write their own map editors or something.

Whatever it is Alex is using - it may even be hard-coded "node" objects recursively referring to other nodes as being connected (adjacent) - when there's no node, there's no connection and therefore no valid path between the Sniper and the Base.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
(03-27-2013 05:14 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  Someone explain this: the sniper is should be able to hit the base because snipers could shoot over empty spaces.

Yeah that must be a bug, it works on SFI and skulduggery

1v1 Super-Titan

2v2 Master League with dakdak97 and boyoxneder

gc:connor3491
03-29-2013, 12:28 AM
(03-27-2013 05:55 AM)Harti Wrote:  

Programmer explanation: Easy. The map was modeled to "end" there, not to have a pit there. When it ends it acts like an obstacle because the "valid attack fields" algorithm won't even take it into account for pathfinding. Unlike SFI which does feature a pit, so it also can be shot across.

Logic explanation:

The base consists of a six-hex "circle". Since the top of it extends above the line, it looks like that spot actually is a pit and not the end of the map. Unless the bases aren't subject to the same boundary rules.
03-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeah, line of sight was a bit confusing to me at first.
If a direct line between sniper and target goes through the center of a blocked square then it is blocked.
If a direct line just clips a blocked square then it is not blocked.

It makes sense after seeing it a couple times.
But when I was still in clever I always made a pass and play game to check what would happen if I moved my sniper into a position near a column. It was confusing.

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )