Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Megaman Music! :D
06-17-2013, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2013 05:52 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Megaman Music! :D
Hey all. So, my brother (Rawkhawk) and I are big fans of Megaman music. We grew up with an NES and played all the NES Megaman games. We have some pretty strong opinions about which Megaman songs are the best, and aren't really impressed with the other Megaman music rankings out there - so we decided to make our own.

Behold, The Top 50 Greatest 8-Bit Megaman Songs of All Time! Please let us know what you think! Smile

---

You all know how I am with spreadsheets...I kind of went crazy and did a big ole statistical analysis of 28 Megaman rankings out there. Can share those numbers if anyone is interested. Anyway, I wanted to also share our methodology since we ran out of room in the video description. Check it out:

STEP 1: We systematically listened to every single 8-bit Megaman song and assigned each one a score from 1-10. This was a means of forcing us to equally consider all Megaman songs. <Side bar> Why only 8-bit tunes? Because we wanted to level the playing field; it's tough to compare the music of Megaman 6 to Megaman X because the sound technology is so different. Plus, we generally prefer 8-bit Megaman songs anyway! </Side bar>
STEP 2: We took the average of our scores, and sorted according to the average. Then, using this average score as a guide, we each created our own top 50 ranking of the songs.
STEP 3: Inevitably, our rankings differed, so we took the average of our rankings, and sorted according to that. That was when the real work began: Agreeing on a "Final" ranking of the songs.
STEP 4: Vigorous debate and tweaking the ranking list
STEP 5: More vigorous debate and tweaking the ranking list
STEP 6: Even more vigorous debate and tweaking the ranking list
STEP 14: Months later, still more vigorous debate, still tweaking the ranking list
STEP 15: Throughout this process, we polled the opinions of other ranking lists and data sources, to make sure we weren't missing any songs that should make the list. Dozens of other Megaman rankings were considered, YouTube view counts for specific songs were collected, as were the count of OCRemixes for specific songs. All were incorporated into our deliberations.
STEP 16: Finally, we come to rest on a FINAL ranking list for the top 50 8-bit Megaman songs. Whew.

For the video, we tried to include some commentary on every song, and especially tried to explain why a certain song is ranked where it is, high or low. If you disagree with us, or have a question about why we excluded a song, we are happy to explain our reasoning - sound off in the comments.

A couple notes about the statistics section of the video:

Power Rankings: This is an attempt to rank the 8-bit Megaman games according to their overall soundtrack using our top 50 ranking list. To arrive at this ranking, we employed the following formula: [Weighted average rank of songs] / ( [Count of songs appearing in top 50] / [Count total number of songs in soundtrack] * 50)

Aggregate Rankings: This is an aggregation of 28 ranking lists, including this one. When non-8-bit songs were ranked (for example, Megaman X), those were skipped so as to preserve the data validity of the rank. Rankings were averaged, and we provide the top 50 songs at the end of the video. As you can see, there is some fairly significant disagreement! Some things to note: Many lists were created prior to the release of Megaman 9 and/or 10, and would therefore skew the results. Also, lists of all "quality" were incorporated, no matter how silly (ahem...Strikeman at number 1....). In any case, we still think our rankings are better than the aggregate rankings. Wink

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2013, 12:06 AM
RE: Megaman Music! :D
I think theres something wrong with the <Side bar> code

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
06-18-2013, 02:35 AM
(06-18-2013 12:06 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  I think theres something wrong with the <Side bar> code

Haha no, that's just an HTML joke. Not real HTML. Smile

06-18-2013, 04:12 AM
Mega Man is awesome. When I was a kid, this was definitely my favorite series of games on NES. I was just playing Mega Man III on my Wii the other day. Good times... Good times...

Can't watch the video right now, though. I'm at work. This computer doesn't even have speakers. Tongue Will watch sometime later.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2013, 04:28 AM
Interesting. If I'm not mistaken, I used to watch the Megaman TV show when I was younger.Smile

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
06-18-2013, 04:52 AM
Our video serves as a great work playlist! Smile

06-18-2013, 05:24 AM
And I thought that I liked Megaman! My interest definately dwarfs your commitment haha

Soldier spam FTW
06-18-2013, 11:29 AM
(06-18-2013 05:24 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  And I thought that I liked Megaman! My interest definately dwarfs your commitment haha

I think I've listened to these Megaman songs about 1000 times in the last 3 months.

06-18-2013, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 11:35 AM by diversionarchitect.)
Aw this is great! I am a bigger fan of the X series, but this is bringing back such great memories! Thanks for sharing!

edit- Popup Video Commentary is so win!
06-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for sharing!

The Gruff Billies Clan:
Yeah. We ate your grass, bub.
Fluffy League Whatcha gonna do? Fluffy League