Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scallywags Strategy
06-07-2013, 03:39 PM
RE: Scallywags Strategy
I wouldn't call it boring, unless I was playing against it. It gives a whole new outlook on how games are played against the top players.

Proud Gifted League 1v1 http://osn.codepenguin.com/players/view/25336
[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 09:23 AM
(06-07-2013 03:39 PM)Deadbeatman Wrote:  I wouldn't call it boring, unless I was playing against it. It gives a whole new outlook on how games are played against the top players.

Its Represent only some ST, but Poweewee won't or seldom play game in this style at least.

iPro Clan
06-08-2013, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 11:21 AM by [PETA] Cor13:4.)
First, I'd like to thank His_Daddy for a thrilling match (and patience). His_Daddy and I did finally finish the Sweetie Plains game! Thanks for a fun match, His_Daddy.

It's not the epitome of Scallywag plays, but there's some stuff to learn from this:

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YjvjUAww

Turn 5: I forgot how to play against Scallywags (it's been awhile). His first BS was very nicely placed and completely stops my attack.

Turn 10: This is another nice spot for a BS. It can hit a lot of the map, but only has one-hex to attack it if you place a soldier next to it. Any attackers will also be in range of the predeployed sniper.

Turn 14: This BS is a little bit riskier, but don't be afraid to put one out in a slightly vulnerable spot if it would take your opponent too many units to kill. This BS was placed along with the heavy to prevent his BS from being placed where I placed mine on Turn 10. The one-hex adjacent means you need something that does 4 damage in one-hex, which would be the BS splash + heavy if he puts a bombshell there.

Turn 23: Good creeping of his BS, but unfortunately, my units are in a good position to take it out and it will be too hard to keep that BS where it is.

Turn 35: His_Daddy probably got sick of it and decided to try a push. My counter-attack gets his base to 2 ultimately.

Turn 38: I unshell and shell my BS by accident...don't feel bad if you do this, it happens...

Turn 40: A weakness of BS is that it blocks units and can't attack and move. It wouldn't make a difference here, but putting the runner in front was an attempt to block the BS from hitting my soldier. But...his predeployed sniper was still there, so it didn't help much. In any case, even he hadn't been able to splash my soldier, this wouldn't have made much of a difference, but in theory, blocking a BS with a throwaway unit when it only has one-hex to shoot out from can be a good move.

Turn 41->onward: He decides with a base at 2 to go full defense. I take the opportunity to also strengthen my defenses and build some more BSes which control more of the map (Turn 52, 58, 62). Turn 52 is a nice place for a BS, since only a sniper + runner can take it out and your runner from spawn + splash will take out any boosted snipers before they are in range.

Turn 64, 66: Two turns to set up an attack which will take out his two bombshells. If I take them out, my BSes will have moved up to a position that threatens even more of the map, to where every hex but the spawn is splashed. I know I'll need to move up both my BSes to splash his and enough soldiers. To hide this, I created my boosted soldiers but move them to hexes within my boundary.

Turn 68: I don't do anything to save up for wits. Don't be afraid to do this. But! If you are going to do this, be sneaky. Doing anything will make the sneaky man show up, so still click on things to make him think you are doing stuff. For example, clicking on a unit and a hex but cancelling the move makes the sneaky man appear. Clicking on spawn points, but not selecting a unit, makes the sneaky man appear.

Turn 69: He wisely knows something is going to happen so he saves up wits and moves units to prepare.

Turn 70: Showtime! This is the moment of truth, will my push be successful? Oh noes! What is that behind the first wall of BSes...more BSes!!!

Turn 86: I finally make a runner and his BSes won't kill it so I take his base to 1.

Turn 86->I'm stupid and make a whole lot of mistakes, like not scanning with my BSes and noticing he has a 2hp sniper that threatens both of my BSes (and then not remembering that I put my BSes there so that they could take out the 2hp sniper, so I moved my BS in fear instead...) (although I'm still not sure why he didn't take out my defensive BS with his sniper + runner on turn 113). At the same time, I didn't do very well in trying to set up to take out that last hp on the base. I got distracted and doing turns mindlessly.

Turn 130: I finally get my act together and make a move which will result in either me winning, me taking out his left defensive BS, or him losing a defensive soldier and having to use up his middle spawn to spawn a runner, allowing me to build up and possibly win in later rounds. I'm betting on the best case, which would be like I did, he might forget to scan with his left BS and see that I had moved two units there.

Turn 132: Turns out he didn't take out my runner or sniper, allowing me to finally take the last HP off his base.

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4
06-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I would say this one is creeping even though it over 100 turns. Thanks Cor for your contribution and game detail. it have been added to the table. Tongue

iPro Clan
06-10-2013, 08:56 AM
good game buddy. turn 10's bs is really good not only because of itself hard to be killed, but it covers your next offensive bs's back (the one on your mid wit point) so basically when i realized i lost the control of mid, everything is too late: i can't get either of that two bss killed no matter how hard i've tried.
on 113, actually i'm not caring about your defensive bs anymore since my base could be broken anytime, as we can see that bs didn't do anything in the final push... so I said: just let him use 2 wits to kill it so i may linger a bit longer.
anyway, it's good to meet a decent S player and have a BS game. For me, I think i haven't got a chance to play with a top S for a long time (never meet the real top 5, never see 6-30 play scally, or hardly is there any decent SvS replay). So finally I got this pleasant experience to learn so much.
Hopefully more bs player will appear in the coming future.
06-10-2013, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 09:08 AM by (Rone).)
No offense, but that game is too long to causally learn about strategies for scallies bs usage... I'm sure it is worth the watch. Just have to find some time to sit down for long enough to go through all the notes and watch the whole game.

It is long so maybe I'll have to go through it a few times.

Editing to add... I've gone through 45+ turns of that game following the notes... great information btw! Thanks for sharing!!!

Proud Gifted League 1v1 http://osn.codepenguin.com/players/view/25336
06-10-2013, 11:36 AM
@deadbeatman, actually you don't need to watch after round 32 or so. i think the highlight of the game is just cor's two bss' position, the rest is just my struggling.
06-10-2013, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 02:33 PM by terenceshiu2005.)
(06-10-2013 09:06 AM)Deadbeatman Wrote:  No offense, but that game is too long to causally learn about strategies for scallies bs usage... I'm sure it is worth the watch. Just have to find some time to sit down for long enough to go through all the notes and watch the whole game.

It is long so maybe I'll have to go through it a few times.

Editing to add... I've gone through 45+ turns of that game following the notes... great information btw! Thanks for sharing!!!

yes, SvS is a long game as usual, one BS can significant longer a game. I currently have a SvS game with Magic and we set the max no. of BS to 1. But it doesn't have good progress after 70 turns.

the good point to watch Cor vs his_daddy game is knowing how Cor found a good place to place his BSs and how Cor attacked the right side when his_daddy focused to build BSs at the middle.
It seems that poweewee & Alvendor are unreachable. LER4T is inactive currently. I have finished my testing now. But I will continue to update this thread if I found some great scallywag games. In my conclusion:

S>F, S>V could be true from my records, and we don't have enough data to support it, esp SvV.
S~A, could be true. They are very close to be balanced as Scallywag can be reached top 5 at least.

iPro Clan
06-10-2013, 03:00 PM
No terence, LER4T isn't, I'm in two games against him! I am scally and him adorable, and I'm gonna lose on reaper cuz... Well I don't know how it happened I'm gonna check that once it's finished ^^

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

06-10-2013, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 03:45 PM by terenceshiu2005.)
I guess this scallywags has proven something for me at least. it should be dropped out.

(06-05-2013 09:10 PM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Only one loss being bombshell means something I think. Smile
I have reviewed the my losts, I will say
L13 & L14 are no chance to spawn a BS, you beat me too fast.
L15 & L16, switching attack from one side to another side is one of the advantage of Adorable, using adorables or Feeback may help to deal with this fast switching attack, but may not for scallywag or Veggienauts. Setup a BS might help, but it could be a burden like L17

iPro Clan