Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scallywags Strategy
06-05-2013, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 02:53 AM by terenceshiu2005.)
Scallywags Strategy
I have captured my last 30 games because I think the most recent games are the most representative as they were done in high level, maybe I can capture more if needed. Please be reminded that it is only my records, not representing the universal. As Szei said, the purpose of this is used to encourage more non-Adorables players in top level, even lower level. Some of them are boring because of my turtling, haha, don’t use my strategy to kill me…Tongue, the result is surprising me, more than half of them didn’t have a Bombshell (BS) out, please correct me if I am wrong.

Summary in my last 30 Scallywags games: (again, not representing the whole universal)
S: 6.7%, A: 60%, F: 26.7%, V:6.7%

vs Scallywags(S), 100% win rate, 100% have BS out
vs Feedback(F), 100% win rate, 50% have BS out
vs Veggienauts(V), 100% win rate, 0% have BS out
vs Adorables(A), 72% win rate, 31% (4/13) have BS out

SvS (won with BS)
096) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YlaLHAww
115) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yh7jXAww
SvF (won with BS)
102) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yze2-Aww
109) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y_srWAww
111) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YkJG_Aww
117) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YiIXOAww
SvF (won without BS)
101) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YnLfBAww
103) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y5L3JAww
108) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y3o3LAww
114) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y7rzEAww
SvV (won without BS)
095) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YlcjGAww
105) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Ywv_EAww
SvA (won with BS)
106) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y0P_BAww
107) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yr-HDAww
112) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YmafCAww
113) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YmpncAww
SvA (won without BS)
093) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YrZ7HAww
094) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YpMvCAww
097)outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YqsLCAww
098) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y5MLCAww
099) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yq-zCAww
100) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YwdjDAww
104) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y9um9Aww
110) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YjJLUAww
116) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y1PPWAww
SvA (lost with BS)
L17 ) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Ymq_YAww
SvA (lost without BS)
L13) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yl7HIAww
L14) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yitq-Aww
L15) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YwvfUAww
L16) outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YwffUAww

Contributed by Cor
See full description by Cor in (post#)

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YrY3TAww
in turn 15, nice placing BS to control the opponent's wits (7)
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YtNrAAww
good investment to place a BS on turn 26, and move back in turn 36 (7)
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yv4XBAww
attacK adorable with common units when you feel a mobi is out! (7)
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y8ZemAww
in turn 8 & 16, placing BS safely (7)
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgofxAgw
BS controlled large portion of map on Glitch (14)
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YjvjUAww
9 Bombshells had been killed in the game. How? (23)

Contributed by Mag!cGuy
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YldrXAww
BS offensive attack
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y9azYAww
You are scally on peekaboo and you think your only way to play is turtling? Wrong! Smile
One bombshell used, coming three hexes away from torbrec's base Tongue

Also, you are welcome to post your replays here no matter you are in fluffy or ST, but I have the right to make the final decision to add your replays into this table or not depends on how good you play as a scallywags Big Grin

It seems that poweewee & Alvendor are unreachable. LER4T is inactive currently. I have finished my testing now. But I will continue to update this thread if I found some great scallywag games. In my conclusion:

S>F, S>V could be true seems we don't have enough data to support it, esp SvV.
S~A, could be true. They are very close to balanced at least Scallywag can be reached top 5.

iPro Clan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 05:32 PM
RE: BombShell BB (Scallywags)
Impressive!
Thanks for sharing.
What would you say your win ratio is with adorable? Probably also around 85-90% too?
The reason why I brought that up is because I think a super top player like you is very familiar with map n each race n strategy, etc n have a relatively higher chance winning regardless which race used.

Maybe when you have chance, do it with f & v Big Grin
But I can definitely learn from these replays, thanks!!
06-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Very interesting breakdown. Thanks again Smile

Everything Changes
06-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Adorables was around 85%.

Win ratio will decline as you are climbing up. regarding to the map, I remembered I was new to War Garden, I lost BombShell BB's first game to a gifted player in placement game.

iPro Clan
06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Only one loss being bombshell means something I think. Smile

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
06-05-2013, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 09:23 PM by terenceshiu2005.)
I should bring out my BS early in the game I just lost to you, then there will have 2. lol
Magic again! 10 turns!!! Impressive!!!!!
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yv9ncAww

iPro Clan
06-05-2013, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 12:22 AM by [PETA] Cor13:4.)
Your games inspire me. I've only played some maps a few times (like Long Nine) and I have no idea what to do against adorables. But watching your replays, tends to reinforce in general what my plan is Vs. Adorables on maps like those which I find favor adorables.

I don't always spawn bombshells, especially against Adorables. Saving up the wits and doing a decisive strike when they bring out the mobi is often the winning move, or having enough wits to counter-attack can push for the win.

I'm not of course nearly as good as Terence, but here's one replay where a bombshell was kinda used offensively and I actually didn't flub anything. It shows a decent use of FoV to know where to place units.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YrY3TAww

Turn 7: The runner shows that in anticipation of his attack, I can safely move up my other units and he probably won't see them.

Turn 15: I know he's wanting to reclaim his wit, and I know he can't see the bombshell if I bring it out at that spot. The bombshell will be offensive and allow my units to claim that part of that map.

My games with Ameraconp are fun and nailbiters for me. I thought Ameraconp had me here. When he unexpectedly took my bottom wit space, I thought I was a goner in the long run. Specials aren't used too often ni Foundry, so I decided to go for it and spawn one.
Turn 36: I was afraid he'd have that Scrambler there, so I took the wits to hide and then move my bombshell. Turned out to be a good investment in wits.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YtNrAAww

Turn 52: I moved the wrong soldier...the one that had already attacked, blocking the base and anything useful from being attacked by the soldier who hadn't attacked yet. I had meant to hit the base to 1, but instead I thought I might have lost the push because of this. Ended up being OK.

This one shows how a mobi can be a liability sometimes. Since it's a non-combat unit and can sap your wits.
Turn 7: Having full FoV visibility of his units, I know that he has enough wits to spawn a mobi on his last turn and probably did. Even if he didn't, moving up the buffed heavy is safe, as it would take 3 units to take him out (his heavy is out of range). If he did spawn a mobi, I know next turn, I have enough wits to make a decisive strike.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yv4XBAww

Kinda shows how you can creep up bombshells and how to place them to attack and defend.
Turn 8: Based on the placement of his units, I knew I could put a bombshell there and be safe. My heavy was a good shield and I was pretty sure at most he would take out 2 units if he attacked. The bombshell could both hit his front line and hit the top if he attacked along the top.
Turn 16: I knew I could move up the bombshell and he couldn't kill it.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y8ZemAww

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4
06-05-2013, 11:20 PM
(06-05-2013 10:58 PM)Cor13:4 Wrote:  Your games inspire me. I've only played some maps a few times (like Long Nine) and I have no idea what to do against adorables. But watching your replays, tends to reinforce in general what my plan is Vs. Adorables on maps like those which I find favor adorables.

I don't always spawn bombshells, especially against Adorables. Saving up the wits and doing a decisive strike when they bring out the mobi is often the winning move, or having enough wits to counter-attack can push for the win.

It is good to learn from replays, I watched many replays when I was in low level.
Same here, from my replays showed that, saving up wits was better than spawn a BS sometime. Attack when you see mobi(s)!Big Grin

iPro Clan
06-05-2013, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 11:52 PM by Szei.)
Thanks for making this Terence! This inspires me to try Scallywags again. I've been avoiding my Scallywag ST account in favor of my Adorables one lately.

(06-05-2013 09:10 PM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Only one loss being bombshell means something I think. Smile

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. What it could mean is that Terence is a good player who knows when it is best/safest to bring out a bombshell to win. I think you can easily try to bend stats to support your cause in any scenario and this is no exception.

I would argue that it is more important to notice how many games Terence deemed the bombshell was not worthwhile (quite a lot). I imagine that the mobi is useful in a larger percentage of games which would make it a more beneficial special overall. BUT I did just say "imagine" which means that I would appreciate stats to back this up. I don't have time now but maybe I'll go through some top adorable player replays and see what fraction used a mobi compared to Terence using bombshells.

Just to be clear, no hostility intended, but I think we need to be careful and remain objective.
06-05-2013, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 12:26 AM by [PETA] Cor13:4.)
I posted a few of my replays for your consideration =) Maybe these replays will inspire some people to try Scallywags again.

I'd like to see you try Feedback or Veggies also. I've in general found that feedback vs. Scallies favors Scallies, but maybe you could show us wrong with some new tricks =)

Of course, here are things I've always wanted to see in a game (maybe you can make them happen, though they are silly):

1. Offensive bramble. Tow along that 4 move unrooted bramble and on an attack, root it somewhere like a spawn space or something and create some defense against the counter-attack.
2. Scramble a mobi who then moves and teleports a scrambler who then scrambles another unit (preferably another mobi who then teleports another scrambler...)

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4