Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
FTA and 2(3) actions on first turn
07-11-2012, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 01:44 AM by Szei.)
RE: FTA and 2(3) actions on first turn
2 wits is certainly too few, but I'd be curious to try 3 or 4 wits for player 1. I don't know how hard this is to implement, but maybe we could have a Public Test Realm of sorts like Blizzard with SC2 to test this out? I'm guessing this would be more trouble to set up than it's worth though... Too bad this was never tried in beta (or as far as I know). And for people worrying about new players being confused, I mean come on, people aren't that stupid. It will take them 2 games, 3 games at most to figure it out if they don't bother to read the tutorial and it will take them only 1 game to figure it out if they do.

(07-11-2012 01:12 AM)Wenrod Wrote:  So far I'm still playing around trying different tactics, but no two games were the same and I never felt I won just because I had the first turn.

Maybe I'm not one to judge because I'm still in placements, but so far my placement games have been against 4 masters. I've also played another 10 friendly games. In the games where I start first I feel in control the whole game until I eventually win. In the games where I start second I feel like I'm on the back foot the whole game even if I eventually can turn it around for the win. I'm not sure it's necessarily a problem, but I definitely feel a LOT less comfortable when I'm player 2. The thing is, as the defending player you can make up that wits disadvantage from going second, so if you're player 2 but just defend then you can gradually turn the game around (your opponents spend more wits than you since they have to move across the map to attack). The problem though is map awareness. If you play second and make your game plan about defending aggression, your opponent will have much better map awareness by virtue of being the aggressor and having his units positioned further forward than yours. Eventually you can turn the game around as player 2 but it's just a much less comfortable position to be in because you're options are much more limited and you have less vision of what your opponent. When playing second I often feel that I have to rely on my opponents overextending and then capitalizing on their mistakes rather than doing some brilliant play of my own. It's not a very satisfying feeling because I'm not so much 'outwitting' my opponent as much I'm punishing him/her for a silly move.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FTA and 2(3) actions on first turn - Szei - 07-11-2012 01:41 AM