Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
FTA and 2(3) actions on first turn
07-10-2012, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 10:59 PM by The430nsT0rn.)
Tongue RE: FTA and 2(3) actions on first turn
I'm sorry if I'm inserting myself in here, I'm hardly a pro, but I have a thought on the subject, and the game in general:
I agree with the one who said that they take their time to set up, so they would be punished. One way or another, it seems, SOMEONE would be punished. For me, though, it's just something to be accepted as-is.

Anyone here familiar with the card game Magic; The Gathering may have heard of a writer on the subject named Mike Flores, who has done tremendous work in theory of playing the game, and all games in general really. One classic piece he has written, titled "Who's the beatdown?" can be applied here and in anyone's games at all times.

The paper itself relies heavily on Magic examples to explain, but basically it stated a Game Player must at all times re-evaluate their own, and opponents board position to conclude "who's the beatdown", or the aggressive player, and who is the "control" or conservative player. Knowing when to play aggressively and when to hold yourself back are extremely important.

For this, imagine your opponent first turn Zerg-rushes you with runners. You can easily see it's your 'role' to play conservative and hold the line until a time more appropriate for a counter attack. This can go back and forth in any given game, until a victor is decided. Of course, a going-first player could try and play conservative, forcing the opponent to make a move, so to speak. In either case, if they don't recognize their role or the situation, your odds of winning go up drastically.

I think Outwitters has a fair distribution of times when one plays first. This is the nature of any competitive game, and is just to be dealt with. Recognize when it's your time to defend, and when to attack, and outwit your opponents. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FTA and 2(3) actions on first turn - The430nsT0rn - 07-10-2012 10:57 PM