Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekly Top 200 - 5/17/2013
05-19-2013, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 07:58 AM by GreatGonzales.)
RE: Weekly Top 200 - 5/17/2013
(05-18-2013 06:51 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Well, it's not easier, it's just that they left the game, and I don't think they would stay ranked as higj if they came back cuz the overall level has increased without them Smile

I actually don't agree with this. I don't know how their ranking system works of course, but I believe that the maximum "ranking point" threshold is related to the size and skill distribution of the player population. Since I think we are approaching the twilight of Outwitters league play, we probably won't see a higher hidden ranking for top players than what has already been achieved. That is to say, if terenceshiu (for example) becomes active again, I predict he will remain high ranked, like third place.

In any ranking system, you have a skill value, and that value increases of you beat someone, decreases if you lose. The amount you go up or down relates to the relative skill value of your opponent. So if skill disparity is low at the top of the player population, we should likewise see the skill rating values asymptote towards some theoretical maximum. This maximum is tied to the nature of the player population, especially it's size. And because I think the player population right now is probably weaker than it was 3 months ago, the top players right now probably haven't gained a significant lead in skill value, if any, over the inactive top players.

Can't confirm any of this of course, since ranking system is a black box. But, I think I'm right nonetheless. Smile

It would be interesting to see where someone like Calmon! would show up in the ranking list. Or Javaseed. Wink

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2013, 04:01 PM
You didn't understand me GG Tongue I said that their real level would be too low to stay in the top ranks, not their hidden skills Smile

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
05-20-2013, 01:16 AM
You mean you think their skills will have atrophied, and/or that the state of high level play has moved on in their absence?

05-20-2013, 01:24 AM
I do think the "state of high level play has moved on in their absence" Tongue

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)

05-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Hmmm. Well, certainly for people like Calmon, who has been gone for so long. But not someone like Terence.

05-20-2013, 03:17 AM
I ask to see! Smile

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)

05-21-2013, 12:59 AM
I'm not #5, like Mag!c, but I can't imagine high level play has changed that much in the past few months. Not much has changed in the game recently (Gameplay has not changed and the maps have been the same for awhile).

Since I only play Scallies and am only #34, you can take this with a grain of salt, but I can't imagine that if the people who stopped playing since last season came back, they would not still be able to perform at high levels and stay highly ranked.

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4
05-21-2013, 03:00 AM
I can support GG's claim that the relative points to achieve a rank hasn't changed in many months at the mid ST level. I stopped playing 1v1 on Szei after I got to rank 40-50 and yet I've been rank 40-50 ever since I reached it 4 months ago. This means my hidden skill wasn't increasing or decreasing at all for the last 4 months yet I stayed roughly the same rank (I was still ranked almost every week for the past 4 months as I was playing 2v2s with Eijolend which kept my account active across all leaderboards).

I know mag1cguy was referring to real skill though which is something I don't have any direct evidence to provide for either side since I never took a break from 1v1 for over a month (I have an alternate ST account for 1v1 that I've played fairly consistently ever since quitting 1v1 on Szei). I would imagine that top players who took a break AFTER reaching their rank in the most current version (wit for kill) wouldn't have too much trouble regaining their rank. However players who reached it before the final core mechanics were solidified may have more trouble. Syvan for example. I'm sure he could climb the ranks again after adjusting to the major changes but he did fall in rank initially (and then stopped playing again unfortunately).
05-21-2013, 03:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2013 03:42 AM by GreatGonzales.)
1v1 spreadsheet updated:

Outwitters Top 200 1v1 Ranking Trends

Rank increase highlights:

Alvendor increased by 1, from 2nd to 1st
Mag!cGuy increased by 6, from 11th to 5th
GreatGonzales increased by 5, from 15th to 10th
Porceveer increased by 24, from 35th to 11th
BombshellBB increased by 14, from 26th to 12th
mastercaster increased by 4, from 18th to 14th
DaveSavage increased by 11, from 33rd to 22nd
rummy9 increased by 70, from 137th to 67th
amoffett11 increased by 35, from 104th to 69th
rcsum increased by 58, from 131st to 73rd
AliZstar increased by 79, from 154th to 75th
stunknaps increased by 41, from 119th to 78th
sponsoredbyv8 increased by 68, from 157th to 89th
DeJosselin increased by 74, from 175th to 101st
Miomama128 NEW to the top 200, coming in at 109th
IvantheBearded NEW to the top 200, coming in at 118th
flogue-le increased by 62, from 183rd to 121st

Rank decreases highlights:

poweewee decreased by -1, from 1st to 2nd
Trumpet.Alan decreased by -10, from 7th to 17th
===Torbreck=== decreased by -9, from 10th to 19th
whitedr4gon decreased by -11, from 16th to 27th
ludo_06 decreased by -63, from 77th to 140th
guillaumefromparis decreased by -113, from 86th to 199th

05-21-2013, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2013 03:22 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
(05-21-2013 03:00 AM)Szei Wrote:  I can support GG's claim that the relative points to achieve a rank hasn't changed in many months at the mid ST level. I stopped playing 1v1 on Szei after I got to rank 40-50 and yet I've been rank 40-50 ever since I reached it 4 months ago. This means my hidden skill wasn't increasing or decreasing at all for the last 4 months yet I stayed roughly the same rank (I was still ranked almost every week for the past 4 months as I was playing 2v2s with Eijolend which kept my account active across all leaderboards).

I know mag1cguy was referring to real skill though which is something I don't have any direct evidence to provide for either side since I never took a break from 1v1 for over a month (I have an alternate ST account for 1v1 that I've played fairly consistently ever since quitting 1v1 on Szei). I would imagine that top players who took a break AFTER reaching their rank in the most current version (wit for kill) wouldn't have too much trouble regaining their rank. However players who reached it before the final core mechanics were solidified may have more trouble. Syvan for example. I'm sure he could climb the ranks again after adjusting to the major changes but he did fall in rank initially (and then stopped playing again unfortunately).

Hm yeah you and cor an GG are right Smile I say that cuz I remember playing against players who came back in the game, they were ST in season 1 and they were actually pretty bad ^^'

Who is your alternate account szei?

Oh and thank you pharmafan Smile

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)