Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a FTA?
05-10-2013, 11:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 11:47 PM by [PETA] Cor13:4.)
Is there a FTA?
I've checked my records and I've been first player 18/55 games, so basically only 1/3 of my games am I first player. I assume this is because I tend to start games 1 or 2 at a time, and thus I can't take advantage of the queue stacking that some people can do when they start lots of games at once.

Do people feel there is a FTA? I haven't really felt very disadvantaged on most maps as second player.

In fact, I feel that sometimes second player has the overall advantage, because for instance, if you keep playing the same people, you might recognize a strategy they deploy as first player. But since they don't know who they are going to play, they just have to pick a strategy, not knowing who they are playing against.

I know on single spawn maps, first player has a 1 unit advantage, but with the 8 wit second player start, the second player can usually bring out a special earlier if they want to, or if they don't want to, they often can attack first. Even at a 1 unit disadvantage, attacking first often wins

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2013, 06:38 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 06:38 AM by TheGoldenGriffin.)
RE: Is there a FTA?
I am player 2 lot now for some reason and im lower in the rankings than before. Plus most of my player 2 games are foundry

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
05-11-2013, 07:54 PM
OF422's commentary is bang on. One slight difference in view and a couple of further thoughts:

- I would moderate the point made under STA #2. Your knowledge of P1s probable move often depends on you making a move that increases your visibility. You oftent won't have that info until you've committed to your making or moving a unit. But the point made by OF422 is still right and well made.
- P1 still has a fractional net wit advantage even after the readjustment of P2 to 8 wits. The difference is more significant on maps with multiple witpoints per player.
- The economics of 2v2 are still way out of whack. It can and should be fixed simply by giving P2 an extra wit and P4 an extra 2 wits. The team going first can usually ram home its advantage even against a similarly skilled team.

The overall balance between FTA and STA is such that it should make no difference for the vast, vast majority of players. In my view, between extremely skilled players P1 is likely to have the advantage in almost all scenarios. Most scenarios favour the team with the better wit value or sometimes the higher unit count. P1 leads in both these areas. The cases were STA's advantages are more valuable than these two combined are exceptional circumstances.
05-12-2013, 12:48 AM
I think at the current situation overall is quite balanced between P1 and P2.

Foundry and Skullduggery have a slight FTA due to pre-deployed sniper moving first and a top tunnel rush as P1 IMO.

Sweetie Plains is by far the only map of STA since P2 can start harass the side wit space first.

1v1 Master League Old Legs Division
2v2 w/dekwat :master:Waiting Beaver Division
05-17-2013, 03:03 AM
I wonder what happened to the comment by OF422? Seems to have disappeared. Pity, as it had some valuable points for people to refer to.
05-17-2013, 07:58 AM
He probably deleted because either he noticed a big flaw in it and he didn't want to mislead anyone, or he realized he was basically saying the same thing as someone else.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…