Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
04-26-2013, 08:55 AM
RE: Riddles!
(04-26-2013 07:45 AM)Erenan Wrote:  Your logic fails, though, because you're assuming different standards for the two guards. If the dishonest guard tells the truth when you ask him to lie, then the honest guard must lie when you ask him to.

All you have to do is ask one of the guards what the other guard would say if you asked him which door was the way out. Whatever door he tells you, you should go through the other one.

Really?

The truth gaurd can't lie even though my question tells him to so he ignores the lying part and tells the truth

The lying guard CAN lie so does the lying part and so he lies in his answer but he lies over his lie because he HAS to lie, so his lie is actually the truth.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2013, 09:06 AM
You're thinking about it too hard. The dishonest guard would lie regardless of whether or not you told him to lie. Just because you asked him to lie doesn't mean he would then tell the truth. He'd still give you the dishonest answer, which is that the way out is the fire pit.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Such a clever guard lol

04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
I would just bring marshmallows with me. And I would ask one of the guards if they wanted one. The honest one would take it and try to move towards the fire pit door, but he can't move, so he stays there. If it was the lying guard, he would tell me know and stand there...and whichever door I go through, I would have toasty marshmallows!

GC: TheGreatAnt
04-26-2013, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 10:49 AM by .Memories..)
I was asked this in a job interview recently. Might be easier since its written out, but let's see what you guys think:

Three businessmen decided to share a motel room for $30 a night or $10 each. After they've checked in the manager feels guilty for charging so much, so he gives the bellhop $5 to take to the men. The bellhop is mad at the businessmen for not tipping him, so he keeps $2 and gives each man $1.

Each man has now paid $10 - $1 = $9. And in total the three paid $9 x 3 = $27. Add the $2 the bellhop kept and we have $29. Where is the other dollar?

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
(04-26-2013 10:48 AM).Memories. Wrote:  I was asked this in a job interview recently. Might be easier since its written out, but let's see what you guys think:

Three businessmen decided to share a motel room for $30 a night or $10 each. After they've checked in the manager feels guilty for charging so much, so he gives the bellhop $5 to take to the men. The bellhop is mad at the businessmen for not tipping him, so he keeps $2 and gives each man $1.

Each man has now paid $10 - $1 = $9. And in total the three paid $9 x 3 = $27. Add the $2 the bellhop kept and we have $29. Where is the other dollar?
Did the manager give the bellhop 5 $1, or 1 $5. Because if it was 1 $5. It wouldn't matter. lol

GC: TheGreatAnt
04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Tricky tricky! The three $1's that the men got back are being subtracted from the total, but then you for some reason are adding the $2 the bellhop kept to that total. If you instead subtracted it you would be at $25, which is the discounted cost of the room.
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
(04-26-2013 11:33 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  Tricky tricky! The three $1's that the men got back are being subtracted from the total, but then you for some reason are adding the $2 the bellhop kept to that total. If you instead subtracted it you would be at $25, which is the discounted cost of the room.

Yup, exactly! Most people get caught up on it not adding to $30, when you should be looking for why it's not $25.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
04-26-2013, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 12:34 PM by TheGoldenGriffin.)
(04-26-2013 10:48 AM).Memories. Wrote:  I was asked this in a job interview recently. Might be easier since its written out, but let's see what you guys think:

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I remember this riddle from a while ago and it was from this cool book and i wasn't able to find it again and i wanted to memorize the riddle so badly because it was written in a way so it was very confusing and it was a really good riddle to tell.
It makes sense, they each paid 10 dollars. 30 dollars total. 3 dollars are given back to them so they paid 27 dollars total. The bellhop kept 2 dollars.

04-27-2013, 06:26 AM
If i ate a lot of paper, how much paper in numbers would i be digesting?

I made it up so don't bother searching the answer, unless someone thought of it before me. Idk i just made it up.