Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
A Note On Delaying Losses
07-09-2012, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 03:22 PM by onealexleft.)
Exclamation A Note On Delaying Losses
We've been seeing people talk about players that are intentionally not playing their turns when they are on the verge of a loss. While we can't keep people from doing that, maybe a bit more knowledge of what's going on in the ladder system will discourage some of it:

Delaying losses does have a long term detrimental effect on your ladder points due to the asynchronous nature of the game that most may not be aware of.

Take for example 10 games I'm actively playing. 4 of them I'm on the verge of losing, and 6 I'm on the verge of winning. To delay the losses I'll put the 4 games on hold and try to win the other 6. The result? I'll win those 6, boost my skill rating then take the losses. Now that the system sees me as a 'higher skilled player' my losses will be more severe points wise as opposed to taking the losses earlier. If had I lost the 4 games first then took the 6 wins there's a good chance my net gain would've been higher.

Our placement algorithm has been a bit too generous as of late and we'll be tweaking it over the next couple of days as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
RE: A Note On Delaying Losses
Good to know
07-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Very good info to know Smile Thank you.
07-09-2012, 03:29 PM
15 of my 1v1 opponents are currently missing in action. I only have 5 slots for proper games! I doubt those opponents are active on forums so I highly recommend you put this news into the Witters Digest Smile
07-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Probably 95% of the inactives are just gone. The same thing was seen in Hero Academy's early days. People try a free game, get smacked around and decide it must be the game, not them. Good riddance!
07-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Hopefully it will be changed soon! I have 8 inactives for over 24 hours, 6 inactives for 12 to 24 hours and 6 inactives 3 to 6 hours...

At the moment i cant play, because most of my opponents went inactive because of losing the game.

Sry for my bad english, im from Germany!
07-09-2012, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 09:36 PM by AceSox.)
I think it should be 3 days until their givin a automatic loss. 7 days is just rediculous, even 3 days is too generous.
07-09-2012, 10:45 PM
(07-09-2012 03:29 PM)Fluffysox Wrote:  15 of my 1v1 opponents are currently missing in action. I only have 5 slots for proper games! I doubt those opponents are active on forums so I highly recommend you put this news into the Witters Digest Smile

Are those all league games! Or some of them friendly? My understanding (and it could be wrong) is you could just quit/resign those inactive friendly games with no I'll effect on your league status. Or will there eventually be a W/L stat come out with all of our retroactive games. Huh
07-09-2012, 10:51 PM
(07-09-2012 10:45 PM)bspooky Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 03:29 PM)Fluffysox Wrote:  15 of my 1v1 opponents are currently missing in action. I only have 5 slots for proper games! I doubt those opponents are active on forums so I highly recommend you put this news into the Witters Digest Smile

Are those all league games! Or some of them friendly? My understanding (and it could be wrong) is you could just quit/resign those inactive friendly games with no I'll effect on your league status. Or will there eventually be a W/L stat come out with all of our retroactive games. Huh

The problem is, that you cannot forfeit a game if it is not your turn. In my case, there are 11 league games with last activity more than a day ago - and the other 9 games are more than 2 hours ago with one exception. Maybe I'm unlucky and got matched with people on the other side of the globe, who knows?

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 10:55 PM
(07-09-2012 10:45 PM)bspooky Wrote:  

The problem is you can only quit in your turn, so if the person holds you in their turn, there's nothing to do.
We should at least have the freedom to leave whenever we wish, and bear with the consequences in the case of league matches