Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Most hated team?
07-09-2012, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 02:23 PM by metalsquid.)
Most hated team?
Hi everyone,

I picked this game up over the weekend after it popped up in my TouchArcade app and must say, I'm hooked so far. I've never related to the strategy genre at all and have always avoided any game with a hex grid since my NES days. Always been an Action/Adventure/RPG man myself. So I must congratulate the developers for winning me over with such a well-executed game, where similar apps (you know which!) have previously failed!

So, I was just wondering if any of you have a team you hate playing against the most? For me, it's the Feedback. I just find I have the hardest time playing against them! I think the units confuse me and their appearance is just a little more shall we say, intimidating, than their Scallywag and Adorable counterparts. Even their medic looks mean!
  • - The Feedback runner doesn't match the contours of the other two runners, who have a more 'question mark' sort of silhouette. And also because it looks like Shredder from TMNT I always think it's going to do more damage than it's capable of.

- The soldier matches up well visually with it's counterparts, all holding some sort of pronged weapon and looking all nonchalant. In fact they blend in so well I often forget they're around which is dangerous coz they move pretty far and deal decent damage!

- The sniper is another unit that visually makes me do a double-take. Sure it's only got the one eye but it's so small in comparison with the other two that it's not enough to detract from the other distraction which is, it has legs! While the other two sort of have legs, the Adorable sniper is sort of plonked there with his legs up looking like a fat kid that fell and can't pick himself up, and the Scally sniper's tentacles make it look like it's sort of anchored to where it's at and would have trouble moving well on land. Either one looks like they only move 1 tile at a time, but the legs on the Feedback sniper makes it look like it could move 3 tiles and with me always forgetting about the real Feedback soldier unit, I often find myself thinking the sniper is the soldier!

- Then there's the heavy, whose head looks like Megatron from Transformers G1, rightfully looking big and nasty; and the medic, who looks more dangerous than utilitarian. Those arms look like claws more than monkey wrenches I presume they're supposed to be. A Swiss Army knife also has a cross on it but looks less threatening! Every time I move my runner next to one I'm worried it's going to attack me.

- And the Scrambler, god forbid I ever meet it one day in battle. It looks like it belongs in a jar! Ugh.

So yeah, I know those were mostly aesthetic gripes but in actuality they do end up affecting my concentration and therefore screw up my gameplan. Maybe i just don't come up against them enough and I'll get used to it at some point. But for now, I hate them, hehe. What about you guys?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2012, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 02:23 PM by Fluffysox.)
RE: Most hated team?
Adorables.
They are simply terrifying. Their heavies with their big, smoochy lips. And the snipers smile.....nightmares.

EDIT: not that i hate them, they just scare me.
Oh, and also I find the feedback maps slightly depressing.
07-09-2012, 03:05 PM
The feedback maps remind me of the real world in the matrix.
07-09-2012, 04:17 PM
This may be a reminder that robots are not animals
Mobi looks like it does a little bit of pain with its horn.
I have thought of this before.
All soldiers have a trident.
The feedback sniper used to have 2 eyes, but was changed to 1 to make it resemble the others more.

Up for Friendliez! Gifted League GCID: braytos
[Image: sig.png]
07-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I actually like playing the Feedback for exactly the points you listed, metalsquid.

In regards to Special Units, I think a well placed Bombshell is the most terrifying and can take a few turns to eliminate - on bigger maps, I would rather try to route my offensive around it.
A Feedback Scrambler in the right moment jumping at your Heavy from out of sight is really bad, too.
Mobi just looks too cute to instill fear ... until he unloads a Heavy or Sniper in front of your units.
So, if your opponent knows to use them well, all Special Units have their "oh sh*t"-quality.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
hehe, I do like the Bombshell very much as it's the only unit with AOE damage. I also like the Mobi/Sniper dynamic which is similar to using a Bombshell. You do 1 less damage and lose the AOE, but you don't have to wait a turn to fire after moving/shelling.

I've never come up against a Scrambler, but the reduction to 1 health on the converted makes it rather vulnerable. Seems like it would only be useful for that turn before it gets picked off by a runner? Can you heal converted units with your own medics?
07-09-2012, 05:13 PM
The best way to learn a team is to play them - get a few games going with feedback and the confusion will soon disappear.

Haven't had too many run-ins with specials as yet, but I have been scrambled on occasion which can be very annoying.
07-09-2012, 05:16 PM
(07-09-2012 05:09 PM)metalsquid Wrote:  [...] Can you heal converted units with your own medics?

Yes, you can. They will go to their max health +1 as usual. Without this reduction to 1 HP, the Scrambler is very overpowered.

Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Ahh, ok. So it would be a good idea to follow the Scrambler around with a medic to buff converted units immediately.

Are there any vids of a Scrambler in action? What happens if you brainwash a Mobi, do you get control of its teleport ability or does it just turn into another Scrambler?
07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
(07-09-2012 05:31 PM)metalsquid Wrote:  Ahh, ok. So it would be a good idea to follow the Scrambler around with a medic to buff converted units immediately.
If you got the Wits for it, then sure - but your enemy will surely see what you're doing Wink

(07-09-2012 05:31 PM)metalsquid Wrote:  Are there any vids of a Scrambler in action? What happens if you brainwash a Mobi, do you get control of its teleport ability or does it just turn into another Scrambler?

Firstly, could we please stop calling 'replays' 'videos' and start calling them 'replays'? Because that's what they are.
And yes, you can brainwash enemy Special Units and use their abilities just as if you'd built them.
Note of interest: if you were very lucky in a 2v2 against Scallywags and Adorables and converted both their Special Units, you could teleport a shelled Bombshell with a Mobi. But don't tell anyone! *Pssst*