RE: Brambles can jump over holes?
At 2 hp it's not

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Yeah anyway, despite my earlier statements, I'm actually in favor of letting the Bramble create thorns over empty hexes IF the new bramble is 2 hp + wit return for kill. Because this would probably make the Bramble underpowered again, and it could use the boost from being able to create thorns over empty hexes.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
03-22-2013, 05:31 AM
(03-20-2013 03:28 PM)Ryzuma Wrote:  Units can't move over holes. Thorns don't move at all. They spawn new thorns up 2 hexes away. Doesn't defy internal logic

Thorns are connected and removable by 'uprooting'.
This implies that they are connected via underground roots. It doesn't make sense that they could move through empty space then (unless there were a visual indicator to this effect).

It's not that you can make an explanation, it's that the implied logic runs counter to play. (And as a game balance decision it's not clear that jumping over holes makes sense either.)

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
03-22-2013, 06:31 AM
One can also take into note that bramble roots cannot go under barriers. Snipers or BS cannot shoot over barriers. But each of these units, Bramble, Snipers, and Bomb Shell can each maneuver over holes (being that both snipers and BS can shoot over the holes).

Also, a look at logistics, a plant's roots can dangle. In the character of the game, brambles roots are alive, so they swing over, grab across the hole and root themselves above ground in that spot. So really. It isn't that far fetched.

It balances the game, and is logical. Besides, they are getting a nerf anyway. Don't stress too much about it.

GC: TheGreatAnt
03-22-2013, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 07:53 AM by Ryzuma.)
(03-22-2013 05:31 AM)Ja Karta Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 03:28 PM)Ryzuma Wrote:  Units can't move over holes. Thorns don't move at all. They spawn new thorns up 2 hexes away. Doesn't defy internal logic

Thorns are connected and removable by 'uprooting'.
This implies that they are connected via underground roots. It doesn't make sense that they could move through empty space then (unless there were a visual indicator to this effect).

It's not that you can make an explanation, it's that the implied logic runs counter to play. (And as a game balance decision it's not clear that jumping over holes makes sense either.)

It actually doesn't imply anything. Uprooting is just the name given to the move to keep in theme with the character pack. This isn't a rpg.

Thorns don't move through empty space or jump over holes. They spawn new thorns up to two hexes away. No unit in the game can move across holes. This was true before bramble was released and is still true.

03-22-2013, 09:11 AM
(03-22-2013 06:31 AM)TheGreatAnt Wrote:  One can also take into note that bramble roots cannot go under barriers. Snipers or BS cannot shoot over barriers. But each of these units, Bramble, Snipers, and Bomb Shell can each maneuver over holes (being that both snipers and BS can shoot over the holes).

Also, a look at logistics, a plant's roots can dangle. In the character of the game, brambles roots are alive, so they swing over, grab across the hole and root themselves above ground in that spot. So really. It isn't that far fetched.

It balances the game, and is logical. Besides, they are getting a nerf anyway. Don't stress too much about it.

I agree with this. In terms of the abstract game logic entirely divorced from the semantics of the aesthetics, it is more consistent for thorn spawning to function as it does currently. For that matter, cases can be made for the sense behind the aesthetic semantics as well, as TheGreatAnt points out.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey guys, as you know my time is very important so I'll keep this short.

There's an unrelated game called Shadow Hunters. It's a game where you fight people

An average attack does around 2-3 damage. But, you can also draw items. There's two decks, a 'light' and a 'dark' deck. The 'light' deck contains mostly healing items. The 'dark' deck contains mainly damage items (e.g. deal 2 damage to opponent, heal 1 damage).

An average character has 12 HP. There's this one card in the white deck, called "First Aid". The text reads: "Set a character's HP to 5."

So... what if a character is at full health? Then you set its HP to 5. That deals 7 points of damage, which is more than the strongest attack, more than anything in the 'dark' deck, hilariously overpowered, crazy. It's also a FIRST AID card, and it shows a picture of a medical kit. So people asked for a clarification whether it was meant to be this stupid thing, or whether it was meant to only work for healing.

RESULT: The American publishers (the original game was Japanese) said it functioned as the card said. Then guess what happened? People made up ridiculous crazy ideas for how a first aid kit could do 7 damage. "There are scissors, scalpels, syringes and a range of drugs in a medical kit. All could be used to hurt people." That is a DIRECT quote from a real person.

That was a pretty long analogy to make fun of people who are struggling to give a justification for this leaping thorns thing, lol
03-22-2013, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 12:22 PM by TheGreatAnt.)
garcia1000 Wrote:I'll keep it short
So much for keeping it short. xDD

GC: TheGreatAnt
03-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Wait, so there is a light deck and a dark deck...

I like big BUTs and I cannot lie...
03-22-2013, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 12:57 PM by Ryzuma.)
(03-22-2013 12:03 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  Hey guys, as you know my time is very important so I'll keep this short.

There's an unrelated game called Shadow Hunters. It's a game where you fight people

An average attack does around 2-3 damage. But, you can also draw items. There's two decks, a 'light' and a 'dark' deck. The 'light' deck contains mostly healing items. The 'dark' deck contains mainly damage items (e.g. deal 2 damage to opponent, heal 1 damage).

An average character has 12 HP. There's this one card in the white deck, called "First Aid". The text reads: "Set a character's HP to 5."

So... what if a character is at full health? Then you set its HP to 5. That deals 7 points of damage, which is more than the strongest attack, more than anything in the 'dark' deck, hilariously overpowered, crazy. It's also a FIRST AID card, and it shows a picture of a medical kit. So people asked for a clarification whether it was meant to be this stupid thing, or whether it was meant to only work for healing.

RESULT: The American publishers (the original game was Japanese) said it functioned as the card said. Then guess what happened? People made up ridiculous crazy ideas for how a first aid kit could do 7 damage. "There are scissors, scalpels, syringes and a range of drugs in a medical kit. All could be used to hurt people." That is a DIRECT quote from a real person.

That was a pretty long analogy to make fun of people who are struggling to give a justification for this leaping thorns thing, lol

Hey guys, as you know my time is very important so I'll keep this short. Thorns don't leap