Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher problems
03-20-2013, 02:26 PM
RE: Teacher problems
Lol Hoggs boson is way to new and advanced to be taught. Interesting stuff though Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2013, 03:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 03:44 AM by Wildt4lon.)
(03-20-2013 10:23 AM)laYahooz Wrote:  Gfich, here's what IB is:

IB is an international program for “smart kids"

I'm in IB and to be honest, the only reason you hear its so “rigorous" and “challenging" is because of the kids in the program. Their drama-queens. They bitch about every assignment and how IB is “so hard." “Boooohoo I have to write 2 IAs (i dumb term for a research essay) next year," “i got sooooo much math tonight!!!!", you get the point. AP kids do practically the same stuff. Really, similar to most students, IB kids just don't do shit. There dum dumps who don't study, cheat on quizzes, have their parents help with everything. Just your typical “smart" kid at any school.

Not saying IB is bad, as I love how it gives 3 years of calculus based math, but it's overrated. Actually it's not overrated. Kids overrate it because they don't do homework but colleges know that a lot of it is BS.

Would I join the IB program now? I guess so because I like the combination of AP and IB.
Does IB help at all with your future? No.
Is IB hard? No.

Hope that clears the truth about IB up for you all Big Grin

Some of the stuff you said there isn't true. Tongue
1) we don't cheat. Well, most of us.
2) we are not dumb
At least, that's people from my skl
3) very few of us are able to get our parents to hold a pen near a piece of hw
(03-20-2013 12:30 PM)laYahooz Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 11:30 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  By specialized i mean if they actually teach instead of skimming over subjects. Schools don't always tell the truth to prevent getting too in-depth and confusing you. I remember when they told us "you can't take away 5 from 3" and they denied that negative numbers existed when i asked them about it. I don't always believe what teachers say now. They said atoms were the smallest things in the universe but by then i knew what gluons were. They said viruses were the smallest pathogens but i already knew what prions were. They said there are 3 states of matter when there are at least 6. They said water freezes at 0°C without telling us about superfluid water and how pressure affects boiling points. They said matter can't be created nor destroyed but if it were true, that means antimatter can't destroy matter. Every year, i think it will get more specific but they just skim over more stuff. Thats why i feel like if you gave me your science test i would pass even though i never took chemistry or physics because it probably isn't that specific or i would fail because the teacher thinks that neutrons give mass to atoms.
You wouldn't pass physics because you need calc bc or higher Smile (I'm guessing your not that age yet)

I would say IB teachers are pretty good for the most part. The math teachers at my school definitely teach everything, even if its not on the IB test.
I'm not much of a history guy but even I'm aware that IB history courses are way better (I've taken AP and IB history). You don't have a text book in IB so you read real world stuff that is actually interesting (kind of).
I'm not sure how old you are but once you get into higher classes you get into more depth things.

Btw matter can't be created or destroyed. What you isn't really correct but is besides the point even it was. Anti matter only applies to relativity, quantum physics, and definitely describes electrons interactions. All those fields are way to complex for us to even argue it so don't try Wink
Also when you said there are more than 3 states of matter that is not the point of teaching them silly Smile they just teach the common ones. And to be honest, as Ive read a lot about this, no one knows how many there are. I don't think it's 6, from my research. I've concluded 5 that are legit.

Solid, liquid, gas, dark matter, and plasma.

What's the 6th one you think as I bet it's not proven but I want to look it up!

History and Physics are the hardest subjects in the IB
The sixth matter is colder than solids, I think it's something to do with Einstein / has his name in it. Not sure though.

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;
03-21-2013, 04:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 04:18 AM by Gf!sh.)
(03-20-2013 12:56 PM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  Dark matter isn't a state of matter. Scientists don't know much about it which is why its called dark matter, the same reason for dark energy and dark flow. Dark matter doesn't interact electromagnetically but it can gravitationally and thats how it was discovered. Matter can be converted into pure energy. The states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. The teachers said there were only 3 but later they said there were 4 which is plasma and they stopped there. The 5th one is superfluid and the others have weird names and i think they were named after scientists. I meant supercooled water before not superfluid water. Supercooled water is when water remains a liquid when its sub-zero degrees. I know i won't pass physics cuz its almost all math and i just know the facts like Higgs boson and stuff like that.

You mean the neutron part?

Gas
Fluid
Solid
Crystal solid (or something, basically solid)
Amorph solid (solid, but more random)
Plasma (the part where molecules just collapse)
Quark-Gluon paste (the part where protones and neutrones collapse)
Superfluid (same you described)
Supersolid (?)
Bose-Einstein condensate (0,1 K, fluid-like with 0 Pouiseulle)
And then there are a few more...

03-21-2013, 05:39 AM
IB physics is terrible actually. They don't do calculus in IB physics. Physics is just a hard subject wherever you take it so that's why it's one of the hardest IB subjects.

And dumb people are everywhere. No argument there Tongue

Also wildtalon you will start to see a lot of cheating as you progressed to the last 2 years. People just get lazy no matter what school their at.

Gfich: nice list!
03-21-2013, 05:41 AM
(03-21-2013 05:39 AM)laYahooz Wrote:  IB physics is terrible actually. They don't do calculus in IB physics. Physics is just a hard subject wherever you take it so that's why it's one of the hardest IB subjects.

And dumb people are everywhere. No argument there Tongue

Also wildtalon you will start to see a lot of cheating as you progressed to the last 2 years. People just get lazy no matter what school their at.

Gfich: nice list!

I never do homework. But I don't cheat. I get B+ anyways.

03-21-2013, 05:50 AM
(03-20-2013 02:26 PM)laYahooz Wrote:  Lol Hoggs boson is way to new and advanced to be taught. Interesting stuff though Smile

Its not new. Its been predicted for a long time. Its the technology thats new. Now the technology is good enough to look for the Higgs boson. What do they teach in physics? Is it just trajectory and angles and amounts of energy and that kind of stuff or is it neutrinos and gauge bosons and relativity and gravitational lensing and strong force and quantum string and stuff like that?

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
03-21-2013, 05:54 AM
What's the worst way to nuke your test?

03-21-2013, 06:18 AM
(03-21-2013 04:15 AM)Gf!sh Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 12:56 PM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  Dark matter isn't a state of matter. Scientists don't know much about it which is why its called dark matter, the same reason for dark energy and dark flow. Dark matter doesn't interact electromagnetically but it can gravitationally and thats how it was discovered. Matter can be converted into pure energy. The states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. The teachers said there were only 3 but later they said there were 4 which is plasma and they stopped there. The 5th one is superfluid and the others have weird names and i think they were named after scientists. I meant supercooled water before not superfluid water. Supercooled water is when water remains a liquid when its sub-zero degrees. I know i won't pass physics cuz its almost all math and i just know the facts like Higgs boson and stuff like that.

You mean the neutron part?

Gas
Fluid
Solid
Crystal solid (or something, basically solid)
Amorph solid (solid, but more random)
Plasma (the part where molecules just collapse)
Quark-Gluon paste (the part where protones and neutrones collapse)
Superfluid (same you described)
Supersolid (?)
Bose-Einstein condensate (0,1 K, fluid-like with 0 Pouiseulle)
And then there are a few more...

I explained what super cooled water was not superfluids. Superfluids is when matter acts like a liquid but has 0 viscosity
Plasma is when atoms get so much energy that the electrons fly off an it becomes a soup of negatively charged electrons and positively charged nuclei.
Supersolid matter is matter that acts like solids but it has 0 friction but keeps its shape.
Quark-gluon paste is like melted plasma. Its when the hadrons fall apart and it becomes a soup of quarks and gluons.

03-21-2013, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 06:44 AM by laYahooz.)
(03-21-2013 05:50 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 02:26 PM)laYahooz Wrote:  Lol Hoggs boson is way to new and advanced to be taught. Interesting stuff though Smile

Its not new. Its been predicted for a long time. Its the technology thats new. Now the technology is good enough to look for the Higgs boson. What do they teach in physics? Is it just trajectory and angles and amounts of energy and that kind of stuff or is it neutrinos and gauge bosons and relativity and gravitational lensing and strong force and quantum string and stuff like that?

In the physics world, the theory of relativity is new. So hoggs boson is like yesterday (though your right it's been around for a while until the renewed media coverage)

I'm guessing your not in high school yet (I have obvious reasons) so ill just lay out a wall of text:

Relativity is not on the exams but they kind of teach it in calculus physics. It's too hard. If your learning it in physics B, which sometimes you do, your not learning it at all. It's easy to know conceptually but you have to memorize so much calculus rules that its not worth learning in high school.

They don't teach angles, you should know those (though they'll go over calculus vector rules)

Any small particle you think of is not really taught. We just know the basic to neutrinos but don't technically need to know what it is. I honestly don't know most of those small particles because I hadn't taken a calculus chemistry class yet. (next year!)

They other shenanigans you listed is not taught because at a high school level it's a waste of time. I think I'm pretty good at physics, but im waaaay to dumb for quantum strings and gravitational lenses. Though I read those things for fun, the math is literally insanity. No math understanding is no understanding at all. It's the truth. Funny when I hear younger kids (imma kid too) throw out a lot of nerdy terms that they pretend to know. I used to do that but now I realized I really don't know much of anything Smile

AP physics B is all algebra. Can be a little tough since you take it all out at once. That is you learn electricity and mechanics. I managed to get a 5 on the AP test but like I said, it's a lot of info!

Here's what I'm learning in physics C, the hardest course I'm aware of:

Physics teaches mechanics first, then electricity. Mechanics in a calculus physics is actually pretty tough. Mechanics is just like velocity and acceleration and common stuff. Pretty easy to understand conceptually. You really need to be good at derivations and integrating to do well. You rely on conservation laws. if you balance everything before deriving/integrating then its usually not to bad. You'll be surprised how hard basic stuff gets!

Electricity teaches magnetism, electromagnetic induction, electrostatics and more. Its not to hard mathematically, but conceptually for me its tough. The pioneers of electricity ohysics pretty much made it confusing. Here's and example that I think you'll pick up on since you seem smart Smile:
Does current flow out of positive terminal or negative?
WRONG, it flows of out positive even though it technically doesn't Big Grin
This just makes the math all confusing for me. There is other BS stuff that is technically wrong too.
Electrostatics is very hard even though its only a “fake" stationary system. Need to really know you calculus rules for that too. Also fluid mechanics is was hard for me because I'm a dum dum and just had trouble understanding the math Tongue

I know quite a bit about the courses because physics is going to probably be my college stuff. You must get to physics AP C. I'm taking it even though my school
doesn't offer it.
(03-21-2013 05:54 AM)Gf!sh Wrote:  What's the worst way to nuke your test?

Just draw pictures on it Smile
Oh I forgot to go over IB physics!

The stuff you mentioned griffin IS gone over in IB physics. Now I know that that you may now think that IB is better but I don't think it is.

AP physics C has more math than HL IB physics
The more math, the better you understand.

IB HL Physics covers too much
Doesn't go in depth really. Is almost like what I reckon your doing right now. Just kind of getting the basics of hard physics concepts like relativity. Though I applaud people to dive into hard stuff I like the basics first Tongue

IB Physics is enjoyed by nerds who enjoy throwing out physic terms they only have a general understanding of. AP physics C is for those who actually want to move onto the harder concepts for real in college.
03-21-2013, 06:46 AM
The north pole in Earths magnetic field like the positive terminal in electricity right? If so it makes sense to me cuz the it goes from the north pole to the south pole. I don't know the math so i don't know why it's confusing.

So the particles are taught in chemistry and forces in physics?

I'm in 9th grade now and i have Biology. Apparently, the curriculum doesn't want us to know the up to date taxons and wants us to learn the outdated 5 kingdom system.