Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7DRL Challenge 2013
03-16-2013, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 05:07 AM by TheGreatErenan.)
7DRL Challenge 2013
So I decided to try making a 7DRL (Seven Day Roguelike) for this year's challenge. I finished it this morning after working on it for five days (going out of town this weekend and wouldn't have been able to work on it, so I hunkered down to get it done early). You can read about it here, and it is free to download, though I haven't tested it on computers other than mine yet. Hopefully it works. Confused I know some others on the forums have mentioned that they are working on roguelikes, though not necessarily for the 7DRL challenge. I just thought maybe someone might be interested. Hope no one minds the plug.

Source code is here.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2013, 10:11 AM
RE: 7DRL Challenge 2013
Hey, cool! I was once into roguelikes, but then I tried to make one and lost my drive with them. I still think they're great, but I rarely play them anymore :/

Proud Member of the Diamond League!
[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
That was me who mentioned developing a roguelike. Mine is still coming along but its been stalled since I've been busy with calculus stuff Sad I'm trying to make mine less of a dungeon crawler and more of a open world sandbox roguelike thingy so its taking a while!

I'll definitely give yours a go maybe today or next weekend. What language did you use? C++ or Java im guessing? (hopefully C++ Smile)
03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Is it like Terraria? Terraria is a sandbox game thats like Minecraft except 2-D and there is a place called the Dungeon that you can go into after you defeat Skeletron and there are skeletons and blazing wheels and spell books and chests and slimes and dark casters and switches that that you can click on to turn on and off chain lanterns as many times as you want.
Idk if its rougelike. I looked at Wikipedia and i saw a bunch of punctuation. I also read that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was rougelike.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
03-18-2013, 01:53 PM
C++ with SDL and a couple other libraries. I'm thinking about making it open source sometime soon, but my code got pretty messy on Thursday and Friday since I was running out of time and still had kind of a lot to do, so I'm not sure how useful looking at my code might be.

No, it's nothing like Terraria. I like Terraria, but this is a very different ball of wax.

Yeah, roguelikes traditionally used ASCII characters for all of their visuals instead of actual graphics.

03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
hey I downloaded your game! how do I get to the next level? I don't see a door or anything.

Member of the Ice clan!
[Image: 29xjgx5.png]
03-23-2013, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 12:44 PM by TheGreatErenan.)
It might be a little obscure. The first level has no enemies at all, so you might feel like you're wandering around aimlessly for a while. This was meant to give the player a feeling of "where am I? what is this place? Ooh, I'm spooked a little!" but that might not really work very well.

Anyway, in every level there is a square shaped building with a smaller room inside of it with a lighter colored floor. You have to step on these lighter colored tiles and press 'X' to travel to the next level.

Probably not very good game design, but I was on a pretty tight schedule.

03-23-2013, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 06:17 PM by 2dhh.)
I might have missed the memo somewhere but how do i attack? But this is a very well designed game I feel Smile Can I share the game with my friends?
Edit: Oh arrow keys to attack Tongue

Member of the Ice clan!
[Image: 29xjgx5.png]
03-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Yes, of course you may share it. I want people to play it. I'm glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for playing! Smile

07-07-2013, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 06:50 AM by .Memories..)
Erenan, have you played Angband? I don't have a Widows machine, so I can't try this out, but it looks similar. A friend of my spent all of our CS classes in high school playing that.. Heh.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]