Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Rising Star Tournament - CONCLUDED
02-17-2013, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 01:51 AM by Eijolend.)
Rising Star Tournament - CONCLUDED
Rising Star Tournament
-organized by Eijolend
-backup: GreatGonzales - If I mysteriously disappear, please contact him!

1. Mentisblack
2. *•Mcfly•*
3. Slighdiggity
4. TheGoldenGriffin
5. Breaumont
6. Jakeyboy20

You find all the results here: >>>click<<<

This is a Tournament for everyone from Fluffy to Gifted excited about Outwitters. Maybe you'd like to get started in the tournament scene or you just don't like getting kicked out of a tournament in the first round by some random Super-Titan in your group. In either case the Rising Star Tournament might be of interest to you.

Who can participate?
Anyone that completed their 1v1 placement matches and is placed in Fluffy Fluffy League , Clever Clever League or Gifted Gifted League League at the moment signups finish. There are a maximum of 54 spots available. (if absolutely necessary I could expand the system to 72, but it's clunky)

How do I sign up?
Reply to this thread with all(!) of the following information:

GameCenter name (the one that shows up ingame)
Your league, points and division rank for 1v1

All slots are taken! Please don't sign up anymore.

How long will this take?
Please keep in mind, that Outwitters games can sometimes take a long time to finish. This means that if you advance to the later rounds, this could easily mean a commitment for a couple of months. I'll try to keep the rounds as short as possible, but due to the nature of Outwitters it might still take a long time.

Do I need to have all the teams?
No, you don't need to buy anything from the store, but since you will need to play 5 games simultaneously, that might be a hindrance to your personal enjoyment of the game if you don't have at least the 20 game limit from buying anything in the store. I personally really recommend the Uber Pack, it's incredible value and supports OML.

Signups:
Don't Panic! All the signups have already been converted to my spreadsheet:
Signups

Format: The tournament consists of a sequence of Round Robin Groups. For 72 players it looks like this:
Round 1: 12 Groups with 6 Players each, the top 2 players of each group advance
Round 2: 4 Groups with 6 Players each, the top 2 players of each group advance to the final round
Final Round: 1 Group with 8 players - your rank in the group is your placement

I won't expand the format beyond 3 Rounds to keep the tournament short.

You will play each opponent in your Group once and all of these matches will be played simultaneously. Everyone gets roughly the same amount of games as P1 and P2.
For the first Round P1 may choose any map they like, but for the other Rounds the maps for each game will be fixed. If you are P1 on a map that you don't have, you must contact your opponent and they will start this game as P1 instead. If your opponent doesn't have that specific map either, just start the game on a map of your liking.

You can choose any team for your games and you are not locked to it, so you can change your team for every game if you like.

Additional Seeding Info:
Seed No. is determined by League first then Points then Rank. With the new Point system it's doubtful what this represents, but it's the best metric I have.
Groups are seeded like this:
Code:
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12
21 22 23 24 17 18 19 20 13 14 15 16
The advancing players are arranged in a way so that the Round 2 Groups look like this:
Code:
A  B  C  D
1  2  3  4
8  7  6  5
9  10 11 12
16 15 14 13
17 18 19 20
24 23 22 21
If you're not interested in the details: Let's say this system assures you don't end up in a group with a player you already played against in Round 2.

Time and Timeouts: The only "hard" time-out is the 4 days limit that is always enforced ingame. You have 4 days to start your games once the round starts. Please try to play in a timely manner since all of the games have to be finished for the tournament to move on to the next round.
To ensure the tournament will eventually move forward these additional rules will be in place (shamelessly stolen from the WWC):

A round will have a 4 weeks deadline. The turn time limit is 48 hours, but will only come into effect if a game is not completed by the end of these 4 weeks.

If at any point you see that your opponent ahs not made a move in "2 days" on your games list, take a screenshot of it. (how to do that) If this game is not completed when the deadline hits, report the screenshot instead of the game result and you will be awarded the win. If both players have screenshots of their opponent taking more than 2 days it will be considered a double-forfeit.

Games that go beyond 28 days where both players have been active will be allowed up to one week of additional time as long as someone lets me know. If there's still no result by then and both players are playing actively it will be considered a tie.

If there's nothing reported and neither player has contacted me, the game will be a double-forfeit.

Finally I'd like to ask all of you to not exploit these timeout rules and try to earn your wins and losses by playing. My intent for these rules is only to keep the tournament from stalling not to create alternative ways for winning, please consider that.

Replacements: If a player doesn't start a game or fails to pick up the game invite of course he loses that game. But if a player goes missing completely at the beginning of a round, he will be replaced. For the first round if there are more signups than spots available someone from those extra signups will take that place. In the later rounds the next player from the same group that didn't make the qualification can replace the missing player.

Reporting results: Report your finished games in this thread. It doesn't matter who reports the game, but it's the winner's responsibility to make sure the game gets reported. Since there's quite a lot of games to be reported with this format, please wait for several of your games to finish and post them all at once instead of reporting them one by one.
You'll need to include your Group, who won and the replay link of the game (how to do that) and it should look something like this:
Quote:Group C
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YiJbrAgw
Winner: Eijolend

If you lose the replay link both players have to agree on the result for it to be counted.

Scoring: For every Win you get one point, if for some reason a game ends up in a draw (highly unlikely), that will be worth half a point. After all games in a round are played, the players with the most points will advance. Points do NOT carry over from previous rounds.
If players have the same number of points, the following tie-breakers take effect in this order:
-Head-to-Head
-Sonneborn-Berger-Score
-playoff games

It should be noted, that if more than 2 players are tied (with RPS-Head-to-Head results) and the Sonneborn-Berger-Score only resolves some of the ties, the remaining ties are checked for Head-to-Head again before resorting to additional games.
If there is a 3way tie that isn't broken by Head-to-Head or Sonneborn-Berger-score AND it influences who would advance to the next round, there will be some play-off games to break the tie.

Rules for Playoff games:
You play 2 games against each opponent (one as P1, one as P2) - that would be 4 games in total.
All games will be played on the same map. (For Round 1 that will be Sharkfood Island)
The 3 players participating will be ranked by
  • Games won
  • Head-to-Head
  • Head-to-Head Turn Count
  • Turn Count (lost games minus won games)
If amazingly a relevant tie is still not resolved, I will look at the Head-to-Head for the initial Group again.
If there's still no solution, all players that are still tied will advance.

Anything else?
If you still have questions or problems please post in thread or send me a PM so we can figure out what to do. Smile

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2013, 02:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 02:10 AM by TheGoldenGriffin.)
RE: Rising Star Tournament - SIGNUPS
TheGoldenGriffin-Clever-Rank 9-168 pts

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
02-17-2013, 02:13 AM
izzilla gifted #10 183 pts

Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
02-17-2013, 02:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 10:42 PM by Ellevega.)
GC Ellevega
!_ellevega_!
Clever 48
17 pts

Clever League!_elle_!Clever League
02-17-2013, 04:31 AM
I'm more a falling star - but I'd love to participate

bmike/bmike/gifted/376/4
02-17-2013, 05:03 AM
GC Outwitter11 Gifted #55 63 points

~> Gifted League 1v1 Gifted
~> GC: OutWitter11
~>S.E.A.L.
~>Scotland!
02-17-2013, 05:56 AM
Falling star indeed. After a brief stint in masters, I'm back to gifted.

spacechef - gifted - #43 - 80 pts

Live your life as more than plastic.
02-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Qlearn/qbmlMexico/Clever/341/3
02-17-2013, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 07:12 AM by Derr furlong.)
I'm down!
Gc: derr furbong
Clever
52/21

derr furbong
1v1 Gifted League

2v2 Clever League with GarbonzoKingdom

You are beautiful so deal with it
02-17-2013, 08:00 AM